Generic Motorola OEM Phone Vs A Verizon Branded Phone

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
February 24, 2005 5:47:16 PM

Does anyone know if there's a significant difference between the Verizon
branded Motorola V60i and another OEM V60i, like the BMW car phone version
(BMW calls it a CPT 9000 in their catalog)? I realize the firmware will be
different but would the electrical connector at the bottom be different?

I want to use a Verizon brand V60i in my BMW since the old BMW phone died. I
am a Verizon customer and the old BMW V60i was on Verizon as will be the new
phone.

Thanks for your technical assistance.
February 24, 2005 11:11:49 PM

"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there's a significant difference between the Verizon
> branded Motorola V60i and another OEM V60i, like the BMW car phone version
> (BMW calls it a CPT 9000 in their catalog)? I realize the firmware will be
> different but would the electrical connector at the bottom be different?
>
> I want to use a Verizon brand V60i in my BMW since the old BMW phone died.
> am a Verizon customer and the old BMW V60i was on Verizon as will be the
new
> phone.
>
> Thanks for your technical assistance.

There shouldn't be any difference in them unless they do something to the
BMW versions I am no aware of.

KC
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 2:01:36 AM

John wrote:
> Does anyone know if there's a significant difference between the
> Verizon branded Motorola V60i and another OEM V60i, like the BMW car
> phone version (BMW calls it a CPT 9000 in their catalog)? I realize
> the firmware will be different but would the electrical connector at
> the bottom be different?
>
> I want to use a Verizon brand V60i in my BMW since the old BMW phone
> died. I am a Verizon customer and the old BMW V60i was on Verizon as
> will be the new phone.
>
> Thanks for your technical assistance.

A friend purchased a Timeport on eBay for use with his BMW and couldn't
get it working. Firmware version was different than his other (working
in the BMW) Timeport. He can't find anyone that can flash it for him to
get the versions in sync. BMW can't do it and Verizon says they can't
either.

Maybe he got bad information from all parties involved, but it's
something to be aware of.

--
David G.
February 25, 2005 2:16:18 AM

I know a few people that bought phones off of ebay and they worked, but
sometimes there are problems. I don't know if I would do it.

David G. wrote:
> John wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if there's a significant difference between the
>> Verizon branded Motorola V60i and another OEM V60i, like the BMW car
>> phone version (BMW calls it a CPT 9000 in their catalog)? I realize
>> the firmware will be different but would the electrical connector at
>> the bottom be different?
>>
>> I want to use a Verizon brand V60i in my BMW since the old BMW phone
>> died. I am a Verizon customer and the old BMW V60i was on Verizon as
>> will be the new phone.
>>
>> Thanks for your technical assistance.
>

> A friend purchased a Timeport on eBay for use with his BMW and couldn't
> get it working. Firmware version was different than his other (working
> in the BMW) Timeport. He can't find anyone that can flash it for him to
> get the versions in sync. BMW can't do it and Verizon says they can't
> either.
>
> Maybe he got bad information from all parties involved, but it's
> something to be aware of.

February 25, 2005 4:57:03 PM

I guess I'll get a V60s from Verizon and try it under the 15 day return
policy. It appears the worst that will happen is the phone won't sync/work.
As long as I don't fry the car's electronics, I'll give it a try.

"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there's a significant difference between the Verizon
> branded Motorola V60i and another OEM V60i, like the BMW car phone version
> (BMW calls it a CPT 9000 in their catalog)? I realize the firmware will be
> different but would the electrical connector at the bottom be different?
>
> I want to use a Verizon brand V60i in my BMW since the old BMW phone died.
> am a Verizon customer and the old BMW V60i was on Verizon as will be the
new
> phone.
>
> Thanks for your technical assistance.

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:59:06 PM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:57:03 -0500, "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:

>I guess I'll get a V60s from Verizon and try it under the 15 day return
>policy. It appears the worst that will happen is the phone won't sync/work.
>As long as I don't fry the car's electronics, I'll give it a try.

I didn't know that VZW was still offering the V60s anymore. The V60p
appears to be still available though.

Dave
!