Where is the fax program

I just got a new computer with Windows XP Home on it and a trial (2 months)
of MS Office Student and Teacher. I can fax with this setup by writing in
Word or incorporating a scan into a Word document and then
File>send>recipient using a fax modem.

I will likely uninstall the Office version (I don't want to spend the money
for it) and install Office 97 Professional Edition or Office 2000
professional edition. Will I still be able to fax?? I guess the question
is whether the fax capabilities are built into the word processor or into
XP. Despite having similar options in my Windows 98, when I told Word 97 to
send to a fax recipient I always got an answer that there was no fax program
installed.

Thanks

Chet

It is in Windows. Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, on the left pane, Add/Remove
Windows Components, tick Fax Services.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I just got a new computer with Windows XP Home on it and a trial (2 months)
> of MS Office Student and Teacher. I can fax with this setup by writing in
> Word or incorporating a scan into a Word document and then
> File>send>recipient using a fax modem.
>
> I will likely uninstall the Office version (I don't want to spend the money
> for it) and install Office 97 Professional Edition or Office 2000
> professional edition. Will I still be able to fax?? I guess the question
> is whether the fax capabilities are built into the word processor or into
> XP. Despite having similar options in my Windows 98, when I told Word 97 to
> send to a fax recipient I always got an answer that there was no fax program
> installed.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chet

Therefore, regardless of what version of Office I run, I will still be able
to send faxes from Word, as long as I am using Windows XP???

Thanks

Chet

"Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> It is in Windows. Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, on the left pane,
Add/Remove
> Windows Components, tick Fax Services.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >I just got a new computer with Windows XP Home on it and a trial (2
months)
> > of MS Office Student and Teacher. I can fax with this setup by writing
in
> > Word or incorporating a scan into a Word document and then
> > File>send>recipient using a fax modem.
> >
> > I will likely uninstall the Office version (I don't want to spend the
money
> > for it) and install Office 97 Professional Edition or Office 2000
> > professional edition. Will I still be able to fax?? I guess the
question
> > is whether the fax capabilities are built into the word processor or
into
> > XP. Despite having similar options in my Windows 98, when I told Word
> > send to a fax recipient I always got an answer that there was no fax
program
> > installed.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Chet

You may or may not be able to do so. Remember, Windows XP (and the XP fax
service) is much more recent than either Office 97 or 2000. You may not
have the "Send to Fax Recipient" option or it may not work with earlier
versions of Office. If either Office system shows the Fax printer as an
available printer, you should still be able to send faxes by printing your
Word document to it; again, no guarantees for Office earlier than 2002.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

> Therefore, regardless of what version of Office I run, I will still be
able
> to send faxes from Word, as long as I am using Windows XP???
>
> Thanks
>
> Chet
>
> "Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> > It is in Windows. Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, on the left
pane,
> Add/Remove
> > Windows Components, tick Fax Services.
> >
> > --
> > Mary Sauer MS MVP
> > http://office.microsoft.com/
> > http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
> > "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > >I just got a new computer with Windows XP Home on it and a trial (2
> months)
> > > of MS Office Student and Teacher. I can fax with this setup by
writing
> in
> > > Word or incorporating a scan into a Word document and then
> > > File>send>recipient using a fax modem.
> > >
> > > I will likely uninstall the Office version (I don't want to spend the
> money
> > > for it) and install Office 97 Professional Edition or Office 2000
> > > professional edition. Will I still be able to fax?? I guess the
> question
> > > is whether the fax capabilities are built into the word processor or
> into
> > > XP. Despite having similar options in my Windows 98, when I told Word
> > > send to a fax recipient I always got an answer that there was no fax
> program
> > > installed.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Chet

Thanks for the reply. I guess the answer is that there is no sure answer!!!

Chet