fax hanging up

Hi we had this problem once before and fixed it but can't
remember how, it may have been a complete hard drive
format. When a fax is sent it dials the number once then
hangs up the modem. I would be nice if it actually sent
the fax first. We are on win xp and our fax was working
till just recently, we have no idea what was changed that
caused it to stop.

Lady Kila
1 answer Last reply
More about hanging

    Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
    modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
    they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
    during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
    first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
    an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
    messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
    There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
    might lie.

    These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
    enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
    require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
    advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
    on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "ladykila" <ladykila@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi we had this problem once before and fixed it but can't
    > remember how, it may have been a complete hard drive
    > format. When a fax is sent it dials the number once then
    > hangs up the modem. I would be nice if it actually sent
    > the fax first. We are on win xp and our fax was working
    > till just recently, we have no idea what was changed that
    > caused it to stop.
    >
    > Lady Kila

Fax Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP