Software Power-Off at certain temperature/rpm?

G

Thought I'd ask if anyone knows of an application that will shut down a computer if a fan dies or if the temperature reaches a dangerous level. This seems almost like a necessity for anyone that might keep their computer on overnight--I'm sure someone else must have thought of and done this. (It would seem that this should be a bios setting as well)...I can't be the only one that's thought of this =)

If anyone has any info to share, please tell! I'm sure we could all use something like this.

Down with bloatware!
Proud user of <b>ICQ98A</b>

G

CPUcool has some interesting features, like stepping down CPU speed then shutdown all on user settings.

Digidoc5 hardware probably cando the same.

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

G

yep yer right, my bad..I said probably, just as well. :smile:

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

G

Thanks to all of you who have replied. I'll look those up on google and see what I can come up with. As for the Digital Doc 5, I was reading about that a few months ago on their own forum and it seems that users are either having comeplete success or complete failure with those things...lots of people talking about the it showing crazy fluctuations in temperature--not sure if that one's my cup of tea.

Anyway, I've been away from the boards for a number of days, and I try to reply as soon as possible when others write back to me...just to let you know that your replies are very much appreciated! Thanks again

Down with bloatware!
Proud user of <b>ICQ98A</b>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
AFA the DigitalDoc 5, it reads the temps fine. The one nit I have with it is the fact that it's just got a single temp threshold for on and off. Therefore what happens is the fan cycles on and off very rapidly as the temp goes above and below the threshold. What they should have done was make seperate on and off temps that you could space 5 degrees or so apart. Other than that it's an awesome toy.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>