Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

printer driver

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 15, 2004 4:27:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi All,

I have windows xp pro with all the updates installed, my
problem is that I have purchased a usb printer and cannot
install the driver. i have contacted canon and they said
it is a windows issue.

1. the add printer function does not work, when i click
the add printer i get a error msg "the operation could not
complete"

2. when i go through the add hardware wizard i get a error
msg "a problem occured during installation could not
complete installation"

someone please help. if you need any more info please post
and i will reply with the required info.

More about : printer driver

August 15, 2004 2:33:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi Joe,

Most, if not all, USB printers need to have the software installed before
connecting the printer to the PC. Have you tried this route?

JAX

"joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:614001c48299$425e9b00$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi All,
>
> I have windows xp pro with all the updates installed, my
> problem is that I have purchased a usb printer and cannot
> install the driver. i have contacted canon and they said
> it is a windows issue.
>
> 1. the add printer function does not work, when i click
> the add printer i get a error msg "the operation could not
> complete"
>
> 2. when i go through the add hardware wizard i get a error
> msg "a problem occured during installation could not
> complete installation"
>
> someone please help. if you need any more info please post
> and i will reply with the required info.
>
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 10:06:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

"joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:614001c48299$425e9b00$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi All,
>
> I have windows xp pro with all the updates installed, my
> problem is that I have purchased a usb printer and cannot
> install the driver. i have contacted canon and they said
> it is a windows issue.
>
> 1. the add printer function does not work, when i click
> the add printer i get a error msg "the operation could not
> complete"
>
> 2. when i go through the add hardware wizard i get a error
> msg "a problem occured during installation could not
> complete installation"
>
> someone please help. if you need any more info please post
> and i will reply with the required info.
>

Completely remove your old printer driver. Follow directions on sites such
as these:

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://s...

Make sure you have the latest driver from the printer manufacturers website.
Make sure you have the driver for Windows XP, not an earlier version of
Windows.
Make sure that you follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing the
printer drivers exactly.
When it asks to print a test page, do it.

Good Luck.

Dick Kistler
Related resources
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 10:13:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

"Dick Kistler" <dickkist@Remove-hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eCkuSQxgEHA.636@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> "joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:614001c48299$425e9b00$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have windows xp pro with all the updates installed, my
>> problem is that I have purchased a usb printer and cannot
>> install the driver. i have contacted canon and they said
>> it is a windows issue.
>>
>> 1. the add printer function does not work, when i click
>> the add printer i get a error msg "the operation could not
>> complete"
>>
>> 2. when i go through the add hardware wizard i get a error
>> msg "a problem occured during installation could not
>> complete installation"
>>
>> someone please help. if you need any more info please post
>> and i will reply with the required info.
>>
>
> Completely remove your old printer driver. Follow directions on sites such
> as these:
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://s...
>
> Make sure you have the latest driver from the printer manufacturers
> website.
> Make sure you have the driver for Windows XP, not an earlier version of
> Windows.
> Make sure that you follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing
> the printer drivers exactly.
> When it asks to print a test page, do it.
>
> Good Luck.
>
> Dick Kistler
>
>

Later, be sure *not* to connect the printer to the computer until after you
have begun to
install the drivers. The install program will normally tell you when to
connect the printer.

Another site about uninstalling printer drivers:
http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm

Dick
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 4:18:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi Dick & Jax,

Thanks for your help. I did look up those links, but the
soloutions were not related to my problem.

I have figured out the problem and the problem was that
the printer spooler service was not running it had stopped
that is why i was having the problem with installing the
drivers for the printer.

once again thank you for your kind help.

Regards
Joe



>-----Original Message-----
>Hi All,
>
>I have windows xp pro with all the updates installed, my
>problem is that I have purchased a usb printer and cannot
>install the driver. i have contacted canon and they said
>it is a windows issue.
>
>1. the add printer function does not work, when i click
>the add printer i get a error msg "the operation could
not
>complete"
>
>2. when i go through the add hardware wizard i get a
error
>msg "a problem occured during installation could not
>complete installation"
>
>someone please help. if you need any more info please
post
>and i will reply with the required info.
>
>.
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 4:19:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

What model of Canon printer?
--
Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com


"joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:614001c48299$425e9b00$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi All,
>
> I have windows xp pro with all the updates installed, my
> problem is that I have purchased a usb printer and cannot
> install the driver. i have contacted canon and they said
> it is a windows issue.
>
> 1. the add printer function does not work, when i click
> the add printer i get a error msg "the operation could not
> complete"
>
> 2. when i go through the add hardware wizard i get a error
> msg "a problem occured during installation could not
> complete installation"
>
> someone please help. if you need any more info please post
> and i will reply with the required info.
>
August 17, 2004 9:07:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Glad you got it sorted, JAX

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6bd501c48361$306cf590$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi Dick & Jax,
>
> Thanks for your help. I did look up those links, but the
> soloutions were not related to my problem.
>
> I have figured out the problem and the problem was that
> the printer spooler service was not running it had stopped
> that is why i was having the problem with installing the
> drivers for the printer.
>
> once again thank you for your kind help.
>
> Regards
> Joe
>
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I have windows xp pro with all the updates installed, my
>>problem is that I have purchased a usb printer and cannot
>>install the driver. i have contacted canon and they said
>>it is a windows issue.
>>
>>1. the add printer function does not work, when i click
>>the add printer i get a error msg "the operation could
> not
>>complete"
>>
>>2. when i go through the add hardware wizard i get a
> error
>>msg "a problem occured during installation could not
>>complete installation"
>>
>>someone please help. if you need any more info please
> post
>>and i will reply with the required info.
>>
>>.
>>
!