printer driver

Hi All,

I have windows xp pro with all the updates installed, my
problem is that I have purchased a usb printer and cannot
install the driver. i have contacted canon and they said
it is a windows issue.

1. the add printer function does not work, when i click
the add printer i get a error msg "the operation could not
complete"

2. when i go through the add hardware wizard i get a error
msg "a problem occured during installation could not
complete installation"

someone please help. if you need any more info please post
and i will reply with the required info.
6 answers Last reply
More about printer driver

    Hi Joe,

    Most, if not all, USB printers need to have the software installed before
    connecting the printer to the PC. Have you tried this route?

    JAX

    "joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have windows xp pro with all the updates installed, my
    > problem is that I have purchased a usb printer and cannot
    > install the driver. i have contacted canon and they said
    > it is a windows issue.
    >
    > 1. the add printer function does not work, when i click
    > the add printer i get a error msg "the operation could not
    > complete"
    >
    > 2. when i go through the add hardware wizard i get a error
    > msg "a problem occured during installation could not
    > complete installation"
    >
    > someone please help. if you need any more info please post
    > and i will reply with the required info.

    "joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have windows xp pro with all the updates installed, my
    > problem is that I have purchased a usb printer and cannot
    > install the driver. i have contacted canon and they said
    > it is a windows issue.
    >
    > 1. the add printer function does not work, when i click
    > the add printer i get a error msg "the operation could not
    > complete"
    >
    > 2. when i go through the add hardware wizard i get a error
    > msg "a problem occured during installation could not
    > complete installation"
    >
    > someone please help. if you need any more info please post
    > and i will reply with the required info.

    Completely remove your old printer driver. Follow directions on sites such
    as these:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q135/4/06.ASP&NoWebContent=1

    Make sure you have the latest driver from the printer manufacturers website.
    Make sure you have the driver for Windows XP, not an earlier version of
    Windows.
    Make sure that you follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing the
    printer drivers exactly.
    When it asks to print a test page, do it.

    Good Luck.

    Dick Kistler

    "Dick Kistler" <dickkist@Remove-hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I have windows xp pro with all the updates installed, my
    >> problem is that I have purchased a usb printer and cannot
    >> install the driver. i have contacted canon and they said
    >> it is a windows issue.
    >>
    >> 1. the add printer function does not work, when i click
    >> the add printer i get a error msg "the operation could not
    >> complete"
    >>
    >> 2. when i go through the add hardware wizard i get a error
    >> msg "a problem occured during installation could not
    >> complete installation"
    >>
    >> someone please help. if you need any more info please post
    >> and i will reply with the required info.
    >>

    > Completely remove your old printer driver. Follow directions on sites such
    > as these:
    >
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q135/4/06.ASP&NoWebContent=1
    >
    > Make sure you have the latest driver from the printer manufacturers
    > website.
    > Make sure you have the driver for Windows XP, not an earlier version of
    > Windows.
    > Make sure that you follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing
    > the printer drivers exactly.
    > When it asks to print a test page, do it.
    >
    > Good Luck.
    >
    > Dick Kistler

    Later, be sure *not* to connect the printer to the computer until after you
    have begun to
    install the drivers. The install program will normally tell you when to
    connect the printer.

    Another site about uninstalling printer drivers:

    Dick

    Hi Dick & Jax,

    Thanks for your help. I did look up those links, but the
    soloutions were not related to my problem.

    I have figured out the problem and the problem was that
    the printer spooler service was not running it had stopped
    that is why i was having the problem with installing the
    drivers for the printer.

    once again thank you for your kind help.

    Regards
    Joe

    What model of Canon printer?
    --
    Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    www.coribright.com

    "joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have windows xp pro with all the updates installed, my
    > problem is that I have purchased a usb printer and cannot
    > install the driver. i have contacted canon and they said
    > it is a windows issue.
    >
    > 1. the add printer function does not work, when i click
    > the add printer i get a error msg "the operation could not
    > complete"
    >
    > 2. when i go through the add hardware wizard i get a error
    > msg "a problem occured during installation could not
    > complete installation"
    >
    > someone please help. if you need any more info please post
    > and i will reply with the required info.

    Glad you got it sorted, JAX

    > Hi Dick & Jax,
    >
    > Thanks for your help. I did look up those links, but the
    > soloutions were not related to my problem.
    >
    > I have figured out the problem and the problem was that
    > the printer spooler service was not running it had stopped
    > that is why i was having the problem with installing the
    > drivers for the printer.
    >
    > once again thank you for your kind help.
    >
    > Regards
    > Joe

Printer Driver Printers Windows XP