• 23 %
  • High @ 60 FPS
  • 12 %
  • High @ 40 FPS
  • 34 %
  • Medium @ 60 FPS
  • 0 %
June 14, 2012 8:29:52 PM

I have always wanted to get into PC gaming. The last upgrade I had was in 2008 that would be good for high end 2005 gaming. I know my new build isn't the greatest but I can't afford a really nice one since I'm not legally old enough to get a job yet, and if I could, believe me I would. I am hoping to play games such as Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and get decent frames on Minecraft w/ an HD texture pack on and maybe realistic water mod.

Spoiler
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (100314-3L )

COOLMAX CXI-600B 600W ATX12V ATX 12V v2.2 SLI Certified / CrossFire Ready and Compatible with Core i3/i5/i7 Power Supply

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

(Monitor Resolution = 1280 by 764)

It's coming in at about 600 dollars and that is pushing it a little already. If there are any cheap changes (no more than 50 dollars) that I can make to increase my performance, that would be awesome. Please answer the poll and thanks!

EDIT: I know the monitor resolution isn't the best but I don't want spend a lot of money on a monitor just yet.

More about : play high ultra

June 14, 2012 8:40:15 PM

Don't forget you will be spending money on mouse, keyboard and headsets/speakers as well. i would suggest to buy a good mouse/keyboard even if you spend a bit more.
June 14, 2012 8:53:21 PM

b1bekgyawali said:
Don't forget you will be spending money on mouse, keyboard and headsets/speakers as well. i would suggest to buy a good mouse/keyboard even if you spend a bit more.

I already have a mouse, keyboard, and decent pair of speakers.
Related resources
June 14, 2012 9:10:09 PM

Taznar said:
I already have a mouse, keyboard, and decent pair of speakers.

Ok..
what about Case??
or some spare cash to to buy good game? (i had no money for 3-4 months after i bought my new PC, no new/high quality gaming :(  )
think of component other components to improve.

If everything else is sorted i should suggest to save the money.. your current setup would work without any bottle-neck as most component are good. if you have 1 component high end you probably end up not using this resource..
June 14, 2012 9:21:09 PM

b1bekgyawali said:
Ok..
what about Case??
or some spare cash to to buy good game? (i had no money for 3-4 months after i bought my new PC, no new/high quality gaming :(  )
think of component other components to improve.

If everything else is sorted i should suggest to save the money.. your current setup would work without any bottle-neck as most component are good. if you have 1 component high end you probably end up not using this resource..

My friend who has made over 5 PCs of his own said that you can get really cool and good cases on ebay or amazon for 30 dollars or so. I decided to swap out my 6870 w/ this GTX 560ti. I have heard nothing but good things about this card HOWEVER I don't know for sure if it is compatible w/ my stuff I have chose already and if I keep the 6870 I can get Dirt 3 for free. I also got Minecraft recently and me and my friend have been playing on his server and having loads of fun so I wouldn't mind playing Minecraft and some of the my games I already have for a while.
June 14, 2012 9:22:08 PM

Forgot the link to the 560. There were two on the site so I just got the cheaper one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am also buying the parts one at a time, so I am gonna buy the RAM first so that I can use it in my computer (I think) then buy everything else.
June 14, 2012 9:29:39 PM

"GTX 560ti" Should run fine with your Mobo.. though this a damn expensive Graphic card.. and good that you sorted it out..
June 14, 2012 9:38:22 PM

b1bekgyawali said:
"GTX 560ti" Should run fine with your Mobo.. though this a damn expensive Graphic card.. and good that you sorted it out..

So you are saying that the 560ti would be a better choice? Would it make my performance significantly better? I'm talking getting decent frames maxed. If so I would be willing to improve. If I can't move up to max settings then I'm not really willing to spend that extra money.
June 14, 2012 9:55:06 PM

Okay. So after running DXDIAG again I found out that my computer is on 1920 x 1080 monitor resolution. I just asked my mom if the monitor she bought me for my birthday was HD and she said she thinks it is. So this means I probably HAVE to get the 560ti in order to play games even on high, correct? I didn't think I was running it in that kind of resolution.
June 14, 2012 10:09:51 PM

Nope..

You wouldn't believe it but "Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas," they do not need high end component to run at High. (you might need need it for ultra though)(not too sure on ultra)

BF 3 yeah but i doubt you would wanna run it in max it will delay your online game plays/give you low FPS...

560ti is a better choice yes no doubt.. but for the cost i am not sure as the difference between 6870 and 560ti is about $120

i recommend you stick with 6870 for now and if the graphic cause's bottleneck in future use that extra $120 to get another 6870 and run crossfire (not too sure on crossfire with PSU as the power is just barely enough)
check this with someone if the Power is enough as i doubt you will OC. and from my memory this PSU should barely be enough..
June 14, 2012 10:33:43 PM

b1bekgyawali said:
Nope..

You wouldn't believe it but "Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas," they do not need high end component to run at High. (you might need need it for ultra though)(not too sure on ultra)

BF 3 yeah but i doubt you would wanna run it in max it will delay your online game plays/give you low FPS...

560ti is a better choice yes no doubt.. but for the cost i am not sure as the difference between 6870 and 560ti is about $120

i recommend you stick with 6870 for now and if the graphic cause's bottleneck in future use that extra $120 to get another 6870 and run crossfire (not too sure on crossfire with PSU as the power is just barely enough)
check this with someone if the Power is enough as i doubt you will OC. and from my memory this PSU should barely be enough..

The 6870 is actually 170 dollars. The 560ti is 235 dollars. The cost difference isn't 120 it is actually 65. Two 6870s would be 340 which is actually 100 dollars more expensive than one 560ti. Therefore, it looks like the 560ti would be better for me since it saves me money in the long run and will give me the performance I want. And since I have that HD monitor that I didn't know about I will need that extra power. Am I misinterpreting what you said? Sorry that I am a newbie to this sort of stuff. I think I know a lot for my age though.
June 14, 2012 10:53:44 PM

It is always good to say what you know and ask for what you don't..

yes i agree with you on this the price difference initially looks like $100. but

$139.99 after mail-in rebate card
139.99 x 2 = 278

$209.99 after mail-in rebate card

yes $ 70 difference but crossfire 2x 6870 would work lot better, and there is no hurry to buy both 6870 now price might drop for it in future.

as As i mentioned 1x 6870 would be more than enough for you now

Oh about your monitor it should initially run mostly on External power. as i said the border line PSU for is as you will have lot more peripherals in future.. though "COOLMAX CXI-600B 600W" should manage it as this is a high end PSU..
June 14, 2012 11:17:40 PM

b1bekgyawali said:
It is always good to say what you know and ask for what you don't..

yes i agree with you on this the price difference initially looks like $100. but

$139.99 after mail-in rebate card
139.99 x 2 = 278

$209.99 after mail-in rebate card

yes $ 70 difference but crossfire 2x 6870 would work lot better, and there is no hurry to buy both 6870 now price might drop for it in future.

as As i mentioned 1x 6870 would be more than enough for you now

Oh about your monitor it should initially run mostly on External power. as i said the border line PSU for is as you will have lot more peripherals in future.. though "COOLMAX CXI-600B 600W" should manage it as this is a high end PSU..

Okay. I just want to be able to atleast play these games now. My current PC would have no chance to run these games at all. Thank you for all of your help. I will probably get two new parts a month by then it will be Christmas and I can just ask for the second 6870 then, lol. Also, would I be able to put my RAM in now? I don't know if it would make much of a difference in anything but it would be nice to have it in to save me some energy when I have to put it together. And I also would like to know if I would have to get a new case. I don't know at all what kind of case I even have. It's cheap for a case though, so I can get one, but I just want to save as much as possible. Would the two 6870s let me play maxed out with decent frames? Thanks!
June 14, 2012 11:37:28 PM

Taznar said:
Okay. I just want to be able to atleast play these games now. My current PC would have no chance to run these games at all. Thank you for all of your help. I will probably get two new parts a month by then it will be Christmas and I can just ask for the second 6870 then, lol. Also, would I be able to put my RAM in now? I don't know if it would make much of a difference in anything but it would be nice to have it in to save me some energy when I have to put it together. And I also would like to know if I would have to get a new case. I don't know at all what kind of case I even have. It's cheap for a case though, so I can get one, but I just want to save as much as possible. Would the two 6870s let me play maxed out with decent frames? Thanks!

2x 6870 will allow you to play all games on the market for high/very-high (though running in ultra will push your PSU but still should be more than enough 95% conformed)

Ram we didn't talk about this yet but what is stopping you from putting in the ram??(sry not able to understand this properly)

Case will take around $50 for decent one and upto $100 for high end one.(i would suggest that you go for a $50 mid-tower as this is your first good build)
would suggest something like (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)(the reason i am recommending this is because a hot girl is presenting the video on this)
June 15, 2012 12:05:53 AM

b1bekgyawali said:
2x 6870 will allow you to play all games on the market for high/very-high (though running in ultra will push your PSU but still should be more than enough 95% conformed)

Ram we didn't talk about this yet but what is stopping you from putting in the ram??(sry not able to understand this properly)

Case will take around $50 for decent one and upto $100 for high end one.(i would suggest that you go for a $50 mid-tower as this is your first good build)
would suggest something like (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)(the reason i am recommending this is because a hot girl is presenting the video on this)

Nothing is stopping me from putting in the RAM, I was just wondering if I could put it in or if RAM wouldn't be compatible w/ all types of motherboards. I do like that case a lot (and the girl) so I will probably get it. All in all this is costing me 700 dollars. Kinda steep but I am sure I can make it work. I just saw this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-do-it-you... and I looked at the benchmarks. I saw that it was getting 45 frames OCed at the same resolution I am running on BF3, and this thing is a whole new computer for only 500 dollars! I think that I might try to go for that computer but instead put in 8GB of Ram instead of the 4GB it has. Do you think that would work? It is far cheaper and is getting frames I would like, however if I do this I can't crossfire the 6870s. I have a feeling that if I put a 6870 instead of the 560ti it has in it the performance would be hurt badly and I would have to settle with medium settings for a month or two, which is fine, but there is no guarantee I can even get the second 6870.
June 15, 2012 12:27:05 AM

I was also thinking about adding in the 2500k @3.3ghz so that I could have that speed to improve the frames. The processor that it had was 2.4 GHZ.
June 15, 2012 6:43:46 AM

You should try and get 7870 or 7850.
June 15, 2012 8:13:58 AM

Ram as long as they are same DDR 1,2 or 3 you will be able to use it but probably not at max capacity.

I would not recommend going with toms hardware review for 500 as that is a 350$ setup and a good video card you wouldn't be able to use the whole capacity of the video card on that setup. ( and you will be stuck at low- mid at max for settings)

your setup is expensive but even with 1x 6870 you will be able to go for high settings.( hence you can delay the second one for a while which helps with the finance)

I think you forgot you added a case hence +$50 setup cost went back to $650 what your original limit was.

I would recommend your setup and delay the second 6870. I haven,t checked the tomshardware setup as I am on my phone but yours is definitely better. I will add another response this evening after I check everything in a bit more details.

And no you will not be stuck at medium for those.100% guaranteed.
June 15, 2012 6:14:13 PM

b1bekgyawali said:
Ram as long as they are same DDR 1,2 or 3 you will be able to use it but probably not at max capacity.

I would not recommend going with toms hardware review for 500 as that is a 350$ setup and a good video card you wouldn't be able to use the whole capacity of the video card on that setup. ( and you will be stuck at low- mid at max for settings)

your setup is expensive but even with 1x 6870 you will be able to go for high settings.( hence you can delay the second one for a while which helps with the finance)

I think you forgot you added a case hence +$50 setup cost went back to $650 what your original limit was.

I would recommend your setup and delay the second 6870. I haven,t checked the toms-hardware setup as I am on my phone but yours is definitely better. I will add another response this evening after I check everything in a bit more details.

And no you will not be stuck at medium for those.100% guaranteed.

On this.. Yes Checked toms hardware Setup properly, It is a decent setup for the budget. The components though still cannot pull out the full performance in "GeForce GTX 560 Ti" and you are and the end with that setup as there is not much chance for improvement.. The motherboard and PSU will limit you if you decide to add something to the setup in the future..

No i wouldn't suggest getting a 8Gb ram or 2500k for that setup as that setup is good as it is.(except me personally thinking video card being overpowered) there will be no bottleneck on that setup.

My Personal suggestion is still go with Your current Setup you will be easily run Ultra Settings in most games If not High. and will also give you the option to add another 6870 in future as rest of your setup should be more than enough to handle 2x 6870

June 15, 2012 8:04:54 PM

b1bekgyawali said:
On this.. Yes Checked toms hardware Setup properly, It is a decent setup for the budget. The components though still cannot pull out the full performance in "GeForce GTX 560 Ti" and you are and the end with that setup as there is not much chance for improvement.. The motherboard and PSU will limit you if you decide to add something to the setup in the future..

No i wouldn't suggest getting a 8Gb ram or 2500k for that setup as that setup is good as it is.(except me personally thinking video card being overpowered) there will be no bottleneck on that setup.

My Personal suggestion is still go with Your current Setup you will be easily run Ultra Settings in most games If not High. and will also give you the option to add another 6870 in future as rest of your setup should be more than enough to handle 2x 6870

Alright, Thanks again for all your help. I actually added a different PSU just to be safe and someone said that the PSU I had chose was a Tier 5 (I even checked, it was) so for 10 dollars more and it even added 50watts more (I know that isn't a whole lot more) and it is a Tier 2.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 15, 2012 8:17:24 PM

Oh and I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoLdUX1EWwM and was very pleased. I know I might not get the exact frames he is getting but atleast I know that he is getting decent frames on a similar build.
June 15, 2012 8:28:48 PM

I promise you this will be the last question. I'm sorry for asking so many I just want to make sure everything is right. Would there be any difference in the Sapphire 6870 ($180) and the XFX 6870 (one for $180 and one for $170) The XFX has 2 free game coupons while the Sapphire only has 1. Although I don't think I will really want to play Deux EX since I have never heard of it. But I have a feeling that Dirt 3 will only keep me satisfied for a while since I don't particularly like racing games that much.
June 15, 2012 9:08:52 PM

Taznar said:
I promise you this will be the last question. I'm sorry for asking so many I just want to make sure everything is right. Would there be any difference in the Sapphire 6870 ($180) and the XFX 6870 (one for $180 and one for $170) The XFX has 2 free game coupons while the Sapphire only has 1. Although I don't think I will really want to play Deux EX since I have never heard of it. But I have a feeling that Dirt 3 will only keep me satisfied for a while since I don't particularly like racing games that much.

You Can Get the Same FPS he is getting.. Should be around the Same FPS far as i can say.(The guy in the youtube)
And lots better after you run crossfire

Yes there Are difference between Those Cards from XFX and Sapphire. Don't worry about it too much as you are planning to eventually buy 2 graphic cards, even if you don't get one soon you don't have to worry get the cheaper ones you will not experience any problem..(or get the one that provide you with the game you like)

About the PSU as i said i conformed it for you, even your old PSU will work but if you plan to get a better one I am not gonna say anything.
June 15, 2012 9:24:25 PM

Quote:
You Can Get the Same FPS he is getting.. Should be around the Same FPS far as i can say.(The guy in the youtube)

Yes there Are difference between Those Cards from XFX and Sapphire. Don't worry about it too much as you are planning to eventually buy 2 graphic cards, even if you don't get one soon you don't have to worry get the cheaper ones you will not experience any problem..(or get the one that provide you with the game you like)

About the PSU as i said i conformed it for you, even your old PSU will work but if you plan to get a better one I am not gonna say anything.

Checked his video and spec again.. everything is almost same but he is running (6870 2 Gb model) So will be same after you are running crossfire..
your setup is slightly better as it should run a more smoothly than his.

You will enjoy running games at Max/ultra at 1080p :) 
June 16, 2012 12:54:08 AM

b1bekgyawali said:
Quote:

Checked his video and spec again.. everything is almost same but he is running (6870 2 Gb model) So will be same after you are running crossfire..
your setup is slightly better as it should run a more smoothly than his.

You will enjoy running games at Max/ultra at 1080p :) 

Thanks for all your help!
!