Verizon acquiring VTC (Valley Telecom) in AZ

Dan Albrich wrote:
> I was reading a discussion on wirelessadvisor.com tonight and found
> reference to this. The FCC URL is:
> http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=12437
>
> Click on the link there that says this licensee has pending applications...

Hm. Southeastern AZ. Have they acquired coverage in Kingman and around the
Grand Canyon area?

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

Steve,
No, The B carrier in Kingman is Mohave Wireless. Mohave recently switched
from all-analog to CDMA as well. Mohave is 40% owned by Verizon. For the
time being, there's no compelling reason for Verizon to buy the rest.
W/40%, Verizon is the majority owner. Surprisingly, still no Verizon
coverage in Grand Canyon, and no roaming possible on Alltel's site there now
on the AC2 plan. Cingular does have coverage there, now.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

Bill Radio wrote:
> Steve,
> No, The B carrier in Kingman is Mohave Wireless. Mohave recently switched
> from all-analog to CDMA as well. Mohave is 40% owned by Verizon.

Well. I guess that means Verizon users will finally have good digital coverage
in that area. Mohave was analog 18 months ago, last time I drove through
Kingman. I wonder how recently they upgraded.

> W/40%, Verizon is the majority owner. Surprisingly, still no Verizon
> coverage in Grand Canyon, and no roaming possible on Alltel's site there now
> on the AC2 plan.

No one ever accused VZW of being intelligent. ;)

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Bill Radio wrote:
> Steve,
> No, The B carrier in Kingman is Mohave Wireless. Mohave recently switched
> from all-analog to CDMA as well. Mohave is 40% owned by Verizon. For the
> time being, there's no compelling reason for Verizon to buy the rest.
> W/40%, Verizon is the majority owner. Surprisingly, still no Verizon
> coverage in Grand Canyon, and no roaming possible on Alltel's site there now
> on the AC2 plan. Cingular does have coverage there, now.

Is Mohave considered VZW for the purposes of determining whether you have
service on the new no-roaming AC plan?

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Steve,
The VP of Mohave emailed us about the first of October '04 saying they were
100% digital. He also said they haven't any new towers, yet. Well, at
least it's digital.

The area is included in both AC1 & AC2 as Extended.

-Bill