Crytek: FPS Games Need Multiplayer to Succeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Crysis 2 lands on Microsoft Windows, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
I know I have seen this 50 times before but I now just put two and two together, Microsoft = Xbox.

They have managed to account for two massive gaming platforms, thats insane.

I have been playing FPS since the beginning, wolfenstein and doom. And I have to say the last FPS's i have actually enjoyed enough to play through were half-life 2 and Unreal Tournament 2003 (also fallout3, but its more of an RPG than FPS). Everything else is just a clone and far too linear and predictable. I havn't played Crysis yet, but i hope there is more from Crysis 2 that makes me go, "OOOOh, AAAAhh, this is not just the same old thing"

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]I have been playing FPS since the beginning, wolfenstein and doom. And I have to say the last FPS's i have actually enjoyed enough to play through were half-life 2 and Unreal Tournament 2003 (also fallout3, but its more of an RPG than FPS). Everything else is just a clone and far too linear and predictable. I havn't played Crysis yet, but i hope there is more from Crysis 2 that makes me go, "OOOOh, AAAAhh, this is not just the same old thing"[/citation]

In that case you should be as pumped as I am for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, despite the fact that it's not entirely an FPS...
/Off-Topic

Anyway, Can't wait for Crysis 2, either... Man, this is going to be an awesome year. We've got TES:V coming out, We've got Crysis 2, Deus Ex, DN:F (Maybe...), and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting to list...

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom] DN:F (Maybe...), and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting to list...[/citation]

If DNF comes out this year i will cry and ask my wife if i can name our son (if its a boy) Duke.

G

For me this is because most FPS games are 5-10 hours in length. I don't think that's worth 50 USD. Civilization and Total War can entertain me for month's on end; the average FPS's single player is a long weekend at best. Maybe if we had more Half-Lifes or STALKERs and less Call of Dutys the multiplayer could be optional.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
People have just become smarter and no longer want 10hour long tech demos (designed for hardware that nobody can afford) with abysmal writing and mediocre gameplay and stupid AI. (you know.... Far Cry and Crysis 1)
Play one linear single-player shooter and you've played them all.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]pacostrano[/nom]Got 2 Words Half-LifeBest single FPS and didn't need Multi-player and still playing with that game[/citation]

Both Half Life 1 and especially Half Life 2 were also sold because of multiplayer. Wanted to play counter strike back in the day? You had to buy Half Life. Wanted to play Day of Defeat? Buy Half Life....
The HL series is not like the COD modern warfare series, where people only care about the multiplayer, but multiplayer definitely improved Half Life sales.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
nooooooooo

FPS games need good gameplay and a good storyline to succeed. The time crytek learns that is the day that they make a successful game that is known for more than just graphics

adding multiplayer to a crappy game wont make it better. All it means is that you have a crappy game but now many people can now play the crappy game together and be disappointed together, it still doesn't make the experience pleasant.

Focus less on graphics and tacking on multiplayer, and instead make a game with a good story line and good gameplay that is creative and not monotonous.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
No it doesn't need multiplayer. Take CoD for example...played the single player, was satisfied but not impressed, never bothered trying online. My idea of fun also isn't being raped for months by nerds with nothing else to do but play the game 12 hours a day. BC2 was the other way around. The single player was short and easy, but it really shines in multiplayer and max-level players don't have insane advantages.

So really it depends. There's tons of examples around for games that are in the FPS genre but do or don't need multiplayer (CounterStrike vs Half-Life).

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]No it doesn't need multiplayer. Take CoD for example...played the single player, was satisfied but not impressed, never bothered trying online. My idea of fun also isn't being raped for months by nerds with nothing else to do but play the game 12 hours a day. BC2 was the other way around. The single player was short and easy, but it really shines in multiplayer and max-level players don't have insane advantages.[/citation]

Thats one of the main problems that hurts multipleyer games today. Weapon unlocks, unless you get the game early on and play constantly, you will end up in a situation where you are fighting against people who not only have more experience, but also much better weapons.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Crysis had horrible multiplayer. Hopefully Crytek has learned from that.
FPS need multiplayer because it fills in the gap from a 4 hour single player campaign.

G

It doesn't NEED multiplayer. It just has to be as good as the first Deus Ex. Good luck with that!

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Common people Crysis Power Struggle is unique if it was a properly balanced.

I still play it on a server which is constantly moderated and is properly balanced. It is quite an experience.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Metroid Prime was successful without multiplayer (in fact, the only true multiplayer one is considered to be poorer than the others)...

Really, companies need to realize that the multiplayer has to be on equal or LESSER standing than the single-player, not the other way around. In fact, you don't even need multiplayer depending on the platform and the kind of game (bearing in mind that the Metroid Prime series is considered to be more "adventure" than "shooter")

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Crytek is also focusing on the singleplayer you idiots.
They got the acclaimed sci-fi author Richard Morgan to write the story, plus they said the sp campaign is longer than average.

Crytek Frankfurt-> SP
Crytek UK (timesplitters devs)-> MP

So I have faith in Crytek , the game will be awesome and we will get the extra eyecandy on the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.