XP Professional can't access HP LaserJet 6P on NT 4.0 Prin..

I have a new Windows XP Professional laptop and need to access an HP
LaserJet 6P printer attached to a Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) server's LPT1. I
followed the instrictions in
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddDrivertoOldOS.htm and all goes well until
step 18. When I click Close I get a message: Windows cannot locate a
suitable printer driver. Contact your administrator ...

Each time I repeat the process I get the message listed in step 14. I see a
fast moving file copy dialog but since this message recurrs I think the XP
driver files are not being copied properly. There are no relevant messages
in the NT server error log. The Windows XP user is a member of the NT
server administrators group.

Please help me with this problem.

Thanks,

Jim Snively
3 answers Last reply
More about professional access laserjet prin

    Unfortunately, you have what HP refers to as "an incompatible set of printer
    drivers". See
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpl13043.

    This is a problem common to "older" printers and printer drivers. I recall
    having several battles with the orginal HP LaserJet series (II, III, 4, 5
    and 6) when we migrated to Windows XP.

    I suggest:
    1. make sure you have the latest drivers from HP for both NT 4 and XP - this
    is no guarantee
    2. on the Windows NT 4 computer, switch to a driver for a different printer
    model - e.g. HP LaserJet 4 and do the same thing when installing the XP
    driver
    3. use the bypass at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm

    I'm late for an appointment, but if you still need more help, post back and
    I'll do a bit more research.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

    "Jim Snively" <jwsnively@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have a new Windows XP Professional laptop and need to access an HP
    > LaserJet 6P printer attached to a Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) server's LPT1. I
    > followed the instrictions in
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddDrivertoOldOS.htm and all goes well
    until
    > step 18. When I click Close I get a message: Windows cannot locate a
    > suitable printer driver. Contact your administrator ...
    >
    > Each time I repeat the process I get the message listed in step 14. I see
    > fast moving file copy dialog but since this message recurrs I think the XP
    > driver files are not being copied properly. There are no relevant
    messages
    > in the NT server error log. The Windows XP user is a member of the NT
    > server administrators group.
    >
    > Please help me with this problem.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim Snively

    Bruce,

    I was going to this clients to try the workaround but the computer was down
    due to a virus and
    had to be "repaired". By the end of the day that workaround worked.

    HP suggested trying the HP LaserJet 4+ drivers -- same as your suggestion --
    I did not try
    that because the \\servername\printershare port worked.

    I did notice there was no version 3 registry key on the server.

    There is also a HP LaserJet 5 printer (attached via a JetDirect device)
    which connected OK
    to Windows XP Professional without a version 5 driver.

    Thanks for your help.

    Jim Snively

    "Bruce Sanderson" <Bruce.Sanderson@junk.junk> wrote in message
    > Unfortunately, you have what HP refers to as "an incompatible set of
    printer
    > drivers". See

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpl13043.

    > This is a problem common to "older" printers and printer drivers. I
    recall
    > having several battles with the orginal HP LaserJet series (II, III, 4, 5
    > and 6) when we migrated to Windows XP.
    >
    > I suggest:
    > 1. make sure you have the latest drivers from HP for both NT 4 and XP -
    this
    > is no guarantee
    > 2. on the Windows NT 4 computer, switch to a driver for a different
    printer
    > model - e.g. HP LaserJet 4 and do the same thing when installing the XP
    > driver
    > 3. use the bypass at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm
    >
    > I'm late for an appointment, but if you still need more help, post back
    and
    > I'll do a bit more research.
    >
    > --
    > Bruce Sanderson MVP
    >
    > It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
    >

    > "Jim Snively" <jwsnively@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a new Windows XP Professional laptop and need to access an HP
    > > LaserJet 6P printer attached to a Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) server's LPT1.
    > > followed the instrictions in
    > > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddDrivertoOldOS.htm and all goes well
    > until
    > > step 18. When I click Close I get a message: Windows cannot locate a
    > > suitable printer driver. Contact your administrator ...
    > >
    > > Each time I repeat the process I get the message listed in step 14. I
    see
    > > fast moving file copy dialog but since this message recurrs I think the
    XP
    > > driver files are not being copied properly. There are no relevant
    > messages
    > > in the NT server error log. The Windows XP user is a member of the NT
    > > server administrators group.
    > >
    > > Please help me with this problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jim Snively

    It's a while ago, but if I remember correctly, we specifically had problems
    with the HP LaserJet 6 printer drivers (and some others) and chose to use a
    driver for a different model instead.

    The differences between most of the HP LaserJet 4, 5 and 6 models are pretty
    minor and the drivers are almost interchangeable. The only time it matters
    much is if the printer has additional features, such as a duplexing unit.
    Not all of the 4, 5 and 6 drivers support two sided printing.

    --

> [...]
    >>

    >> "Jim Snively" <jwsnively@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > I have a new Windows XP Professional laptop and need to access an HP
    >> > LaserJet 6P printer attached to a Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) server's LPT1.
    >> > followed the instrictions in
    >> > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddDrivertoOldOS.htm and all goes well
    >> until
    >> > step 18. When I click Close I get a message: Windows cannot locate a
    >> > suitable printer driver. Contact your administrator ...
    >> >
    >> > Each time I repeat the process I get the message listed in step 14. I
    > see
    >> > fast moving file copy dialog but since this message recurrs I think the
    > XP
    >> > driver files are not being copied properly. There are no relevant
    >> messages
    >> > in the NT server error log. The Windows XP user is a member of the NT

Hewlett Packard Laserjet Windows XP