Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP Professional can't access HP LaserJet 6P on NT 4.0 Prin..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 16, 2004 11:05:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I have a new Windows XP Professional laptop and need to access an HP
LaserJet 6P printer attached to a Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) server's LPT1. I
followed the instrictions in
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddDrivertoOldOS.htm and all goes well until
step 18. When I click Close I get a message: Windows cannot locate a
suitable printer driver. Contact your administrator ...

Each time I repeat the process I get the message listed in step 14. I see a
fast moving file copy dialog but since this message recurrs I think the XP
driver files are not being copied properly. There are no relevant messages
in the NT server error log. The Windows XP user is a member of the NT
server administrators group.

Please help me with this problem.

Thanks,

Jim Snively
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 17, 2004 9:47:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Unfortunately, you have what HP refers to as "an incompatible set of printer
drivers". See
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e....

This is a problem common to "older" printers and printer drivers. I recall
having several battles with the orginal HP LaserJet series (II, III, 4, 5
and 6) when we migrated to Windows XP.

I suggest:
1. make sure you have the latest drivers from HP for both NT 4 and XP - this
is no guarantee
2. on the Windows NT 4 computer, switch to a driver for a different printer
model - e.g. HP LaserJet 4 and do the same thing when installing the XP
driver
3. use the bypass at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm

I'm late for an appointment, but if you still need more help, post back and
I'll do a bit more research.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.


"Jim Snively" <jwsnively@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:%23m9nDW%23gEHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I have a new Windows XP Professional laptop and need to access an HP
> LaserJet 6P printer attached to a Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) server's LPT1. I
> followed the instrictions in
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddDrivertoOldOS.htm and all goes well
until
> step 18. When I click Close I get a message: Windows cannot locate a
> suitable printer driver. Contact your administrator ...
>
> Each time I repeat the process I get the message listed in step 14. I see
a
> fast moving file copy dialog but since this message recurrs I think the XP
> driver files are not being copied properly. There are no relevant
messages
> in the NT server error log. The Windows XP user is a member of the NT
> server administrators group.
>
> Please help me with this problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Snively
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 18, 2004 5:06:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Bruce,

I was going to this clients to try the workaround but the computer was down
due to a virus and
had to be "repaired". By the end of the day that workaround worked.

HP suggested trying the HP LaserJet 4+ drivers -- same as your suggestion --
I did not try
that because the \\servername\printershare port worked.

I did notice there was no version 3 registry key on the server.

There is also a HP LaserJet 5 printer (attached via a JetDirect device)
which connected OK
to Windows XP Professional without a version 5 driver.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Snively

"Bruce Sanderson" <Bruce.Sanderson@junk.junk> wrote in message
news:u%23gh5zLhEHA.1276@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Unfortunately, you have what HP refers to as "an incompatible set of
printer
> drivers". See
>
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e....
>
> This is a problem common to "older" printers and printer drivers. I
recall
> having several battles with the orginal HP LaserJet series (II, III, 4, 5
> and 6) when we migrated to Windows XP.
>
> I suggest:
> 1. make sure you have the latest drivers from HP for both NT 4 and XP -
this
> is no guarantee
> 2. on the Windows NT 4 computer, switch to a driver for a different
printer
> model - e.g. HP LaserJet 4 and do the same thing when installing the XP
> driver
> 3. use the bypass at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm
>
> I'm late for an appointment, but if you still need more help, post back
and
> I'll do a bit more research.
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP
>
> It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>
>
> "Jim Snively" <jwsnively@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:%23m9nDW%23gEHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > I have a new Windows XP Professional laptop and need to access an HP
> > LaserJet 6P printer attached to a Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) server's LPT1.
I
> > followed the instrictions in
> > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddDrivertoOldOS.htm and all goes well
> until
> > step 18. When I click Close I get a message: Windows cannot locate a
> > suitable printer driver. Contact your administrator ...
> >
> > Each time I repeat the process I get the message listed in step 14. I
see
> a
> > fast moving file copy dialog but since this message recurrs I think the
XP
> > driver files are not being copied properly. There are no relevant
> messages
> > in the NT server error log. The Windows XP user is a member of the NT
> > server administrators group.
> >
> > Please help me with this problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jim Snively
> >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 18, 2004 3:24:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

It's a while ago, but if I remember correctly, we specifically had problems
with the HP LaserJet 6 printer drivers (and some others) and chose to use a
driver for a different model instead.

The differences between most of the HP LaserJet 4, 5 and 6 models are pretty
minor and the drivers are almost interchangeable. The only time it matters
much is if the printer has additional features, such as a duplexing unit.
Not all of the 4, 5 and 6 drivers support two sided printing.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.


"Jim Snively" <jwsnively@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o TL7SEOhEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Bruce,
>
> I was going to this clients to try the workaround but the computer was
> down
> due to a virus and
> had to be "repaired". By the end of the day that workaround worked.
>
> HP suggested trying the HP LaserJet 4+ drivers -- same as your
> suggestion --
> I did not try
> that because the \\servername\printershare port worked.
>
> I did notice there was no version 3 registry key on the server.
>
> There is also a HP LaserJet 5 printer (attached via a JetDirect device)
> which connected OK
> to Windows XP Professional without a version 5 driver.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jim Snively
>
> "Bruce Sanderson" <Bruce.Sanderson@junk.junk> wrote in message
> news:u%23gh5zLhEHA.1276@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Unfortunately, you have what HP refers to as "an incompatible set of
> printer
>> drivers". See
>>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e....
>>
>> This is a problem common to "older" printers and printer drivers. I
> recall
>> having several battles with the orginal HP LaserJet series (II, III, 4, 5
>> and 6) when we migrated to Windows XP.
>>
>> I suggest:
>> 1. make sure you have the latest drivers from HP for both NT 4 and XP -
> this
>> is no guarantee
>> 2. on the Windows NT 4 computer, switch to a driver for a different
> printer
>> model - e.g. HP LaserJet 4 and do the same thing when installing the XP
>> driver
>> 3. use the bypass at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm
>>
>> I'm late for an appointment, but if you still need more help, post back
> and
>> I'll do a bit more research.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Sanderson MVP
>>
>> It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>>
>>
>> "Jim Snively" <jwsnively@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:%23m9nDW%23gEHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> > I have a new Windows XP Professional laptop and need to access an HP
>> > LaserJet 6P printer attached to a Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) server's LPT1.
> I
>> > followed the instrictions in
>> > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddDrivertoOldOS.htm and all goes well
>> until
>> > step 18. When I click Close I get a message: Windows cannot locate a
>> > suitable printer driver. Contact your administrator ...
>> >
>> > Each time I repeat the process I get the message listed in step 14. I
> see
>> a
>> > fast moving file copy dialog but since this message recurrs I think the
> XP
>> > driver files are not being copied properly. There are no relevant
>> messages
>> > in the NT server error log. The Windows XP user is a member of the NT
>> > server administrators group.
>> >
>> > Please help me with this problem.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Jim Snively
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
!