Printer Wizard not starting

I have tried to install an HP 970Cse on the parrallel and the USB port, both
instances I get the error "Cannot install this hardware" "There was a problem
installing this hardware" "hp deskjet 970c series" "An error occurred during
the installation of the device" " The specified procedure could not be found"

I downloaded the XP Driver from HP's website and ran the installation
program, the print spooler is running, the found new hardware wizard also
tries to install this printer and i get the same error. I cannot start the
"Add Printer Wizard" even if the printer is unplugged.
4 answers Last reply
More about printer wizard starting

    Are you logged on as an Administrator or a User with Admin Rights?

    Have you tried checking your System Files to see that all are happy... from
    the command prompt, type

    sfc /scannow
    (note the space between the c and the /)

    --
    Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    www.coribright.com

    "rflehto" <rflehto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have tried to install an HP 970Cse on the parrallel and the USB port,
    both
    > instances I get the error "Cannot install this hardware" "There was a
    problem
    > installing this hardware" "hp deskjet 970c series" "An error occurred
    during
    > the installation of the device" " The specified procedure could not be
    found"

    > I downloaded the XP Driver from HP's website and ran the installation
    > program, the print spooler is running, the found new hardware wizard also
    > tries to install this printer and i get the same error. I cannot start the
    > "Add Printer Wizard" even if the printer is unplugged.

    Yes, I have administrative rights, and Yes, I ran sfc /scannow, and no
    problems were found. This system is only a few days old, and I had just
    installed my companies programs (Office, Notes, etc.) that they use on a
    daily basis. the first thing being virus protection. The only other things I
    had installed were Microsoft's patches.

    I finally had to run a system restore, to a point prior to installing all
    the patches and all my programs. Thankfully I had a backup of all my data
    because when the system restore is run, some programs that wern't installed,
    at the point that I had to restore to, deleted the data folders as well.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Are you logged on as an Administrator or a User with Admin Rights?
    >
    > Have you tried checking your System Files to see that all are happy... from
    > the command prompt, type
    >
    > sfc /scannow
    > (note the space between the c and the /)
    >
    > --
    > Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > www.coribright.com
    >

    > "rflehto" <rflehto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have tried to install an HP 970Cse on the parrallel and the USB port,
    > both
    > > instances I get the error "Cannot install this hardware" "There was a
    > problem
    > > installing this hardware" "hp deskjet 970c series" "An error occurred
    > during
    > > the installation of the device" " The specified procedure could not be
    > found"
    > >
    > > I downloaded the XP Driver from HP's website and ran the installation
    > > program, the print spooler is running, the found new hardware wizard also
    > > tries to install this printer and i get the same error. I cannot start the
    > > "Add Printer Wizard" even if the printer is unplugged.

    Try disabling antivirus before you reinstall.... and check nothing has
    actually been installed first as per

    > Yes, I have administrative rights, and Yes, I ran sfc /scannow, and no
    > problems were found. This system is only a few days old, and I had just
    > installed my companies programs (Office, Notes, etc.) that they use on a
    > daily basis. the first thing being virus protection. The only other things
    > had installed were Microsoft's patches.
    >
    > I finally had to run a system restore, to a point prior to installing all
    > the patches and all my programs. Thankfully I had a backup of all my data
    > because when the system restore is run, some programs that wern't
    installed,
    > at the point that I had to restore to, deleted the data folders as well.
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Are you logged on as an Administrator or a User with Admin Rights?
    > >
    > > Have you tried checking your System Files to see that all are happy...
    from
    > > the command prompt, type
    > >
    > > sfc /scannow
    > > (note the space between the c and the /)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > > www.coribright.com
    > >

    > > "rflehto" <rflehto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have tried to install an HP 970Cse on the parrallel and the USB
    port,
    > > both
    > > > instances I get the error "Cannot install this hardware" "There was a
    > > problem
    > > > installing this hardware" "hp deskjet 970c series" "An error occurred
    > > during
    > > > the installation of the device" " The specified procedure could not be
    > > found"
    > > >
    > > > I downloaded the XP Driver from HP's website and ran the installation
    > > > program, the print spooler is running, the found new hardware wizard
    also
    > > > tries to install this printer and i get the same error. I cannot start
    the
    > > > "Add Printer Wizard" even if the printer is unplugged.

    This is a brand new system, not an upgrade to an older operating system, so
    the article you referred me to didn't help. The printer was never installed,
    so I could not see any printers in the printer folder. Also I could not get
    any information about the Printer server properties.

    I could not even install a networked printer. The "Add Printer Wizard" was
    somehow creating the problem, as I could never finish installing the printer
    from the "New Hardware Found" wizard, either. Whenever I re-booted, the
    Hardware Wizard found the printer, but every time it would give me the same
    error. I even tried to cancel the Hardware Wizard, and install from the
    Printer Wizard, but the Printer Wizard would never start.

    I finally used the System Restore to fix the problem.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Try disabling antivirus before you reinstall.... and check nothing has
    > actually been installed first as per
    > http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20One.htm
    > --
    > Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > www.coribright.com
    >

    > "rflehto" <rflehto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes, I have administrative rights, and Yes, I ran sfc /scannow, and no
    > > problems were found. This system is only a few days old, and I had just
    > > installed my companies programs (Office, Notes, etc.) that they use on a
    > > daily basis. the first thing being virus protection. The only other things
    > > had installed were Microsoft's patches.
    > >
    > > I finally had to run a system restore, to a point prior to installing all
    > > the patches and all my programs. Thankfully I had a backup of all my data
    > > because when the system restore is run, some programs that wern't
    > installed,
    > > at the point that I had to restore to, deleted the data folders as well.
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Are you logged on as an Administrator or a User with Admin Rights?
    > > >
    > > > Have you tried checking your System Files to see that all are happy...
    > from
    > > > the command prompt, type
    > > >
    > > > sfc /scannow
    > > > (note the space between the c and the /)
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > > > www.coribright.com
    > > >

    > > > "rflehto" <rflehto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > port,
    > > > both
    > > > problem
    > > > during
    > > > found"

    > also
    > the

Hardware Hewlett Packard Printers Windows XP