R. Valentine-HELP

I recently unistalled my Canon MultiPass fax/printer/copier and installed
"Fax." I have checked to make sure that my internal analog modem was on the
XP compatible list. I have the fax configured to use the analog modem. When
a fax is incoming my phone just rings and rings. When I try to send a fax,
it just sits in the outgoing file. If I restart my computer, the fax machine
will work briefly. I am receiving an error message that states "the port the
modem is using is in use by another application . . ." My fax is using com3.
I connect to the internet via a cable modem. From what I can tell the cable
modem uses com1. Although neither device shows a conflict through Device
Manager, I read somewhere that com1 and com3 use the same port and com2 and
com4 use the same port thus causing the conflict.

Is there a way to solve my problem so I can send and receive faxes using Fax
Console?

Thanks,
Sheryl
7 answers Last reply
More about valentine help

    Windows XP Fax is designed to work with an analog fax modem installed in a
    PCI slot on your PC. You appear to be talking about a third party
    "all-in-one" device for which XP Fax was not designed. You'll need to
    contact Canon, I suspect.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently unistalled my Canon MultiPass fax/printer/copier and installed
    > "Fax." I have checked to make sure that my internal analog modem was on
    the
    > XP compatible list. I have the fax configured to use the analog modem.
    When
    > a fax is incoming my phone just rings and rings. When I try to send a
    fax,
    > it just sits in the outgoing file. If I restart my computer, the fax
    machine
    > will work briefly. I am receiving an error message that states "the port
    the
    > modem is using is in use by another application . . ." My fax is using
    com3.
    > I connect to the internet via a cable modem. From what I can tell the
    cable
    > modem uses com1. Although neither device shows a conflict through Device
    > Manager, I read somewhere that com1 and com3 use the same port and com2
    and
    > com4 use the same port thus causing the conflict.
    >
    > Is there a way to solve my problem so I can send and receive faxes using
    Fax
    > Console?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sheryl

    Sorry for the confusion. I no longer am using the Canon device (both the
    hardware and the software have been removed). I have installed a Brother
    laser printer. I am attempting to send and receive faxes directly from my
    computer using XP Fax.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Windows XP Fax is designed to work with an analog fax modem installed in a
    > PCI slot on your PC. You appear to be talking about a third party
    > "all-in-one" device for which XP Fax was not designed. You'll need to
    > contact Canon, I suspect.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I recently unistalled my Canon MultiPass fax/printer/copier and installed
    > > "Fax." I have checked to make sure that my internal analog modem was on
    > the
    > > XP compatible list. I have the fax configured to use the analog modem.
    > When
    > > a fax is incoming my phone just rings and rings. When I try to send a
    > fax,
    > > it just sits in the outgoing file. If I restart my computer, the fax
    > machine
    > > will work briefly. I am receiving an error message that states "the port
    > the
    > > modem is using is in use by another application . . ." My fax is using
    > com3.
    > > I connect to the internet via a cable modem. From what I can tell the
    > cable
    > > modem uses com1. Although neither device shows a conflict through Device
    > > Manager, I read somewhere that com1 and com3 use the same port and com2
    > and
    > > com4 use the same port thus causing the conflict.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to solve my problem so I can send and receive faxes using
    > Fax
    > > Console?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Sheryl

    As the information comes trickling in... perhaps you could include the
    analog fax modem you are now using and whether it appear on the Windows XP
    HCL list.

    --
    > Sorry for the confusion. I no longer am using the Canon device (both the
    > hardware and the software have been removed). I have installed a Brother
    > laser printer. I am attempting to send and receive faxes directly from my
    > computer using XP Fax.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    > > Windows XP Fax is designed to work with an analog fax modem installed in
    > > PCI slot on your PC. You appear to be talking about a third party
    > > "all-in-one" device for which XP Fax was not designed. You'll need to
    > > contact Canon, I suspect.
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I recently unistalled my Canon MultiPass fax/printer/copier and
    installed
    > > > "Fax." I have checked to make sure that my internal analog modem was
    on
    > > the
    > > > XP compatible list. I have the fax configured to use the analog
    modem.
    > > When
    > > > a fax is incoming my phone just rings and rings. When I try to send a
    > > fax,
    > > > it just sits in the outgoing file. If I restart my computer, the fax
    > > machine
    > > > will work briefly. I am receiving an error message that states "the
    port
    > > the
    > > > modem is using is in use by another application . . ." My fax is
    using
    > > com3.
    > > > I connect to the internet via a cable modem. From what I can tell
    the
    > > cable
    > > > modem uses com1. Although neither device shows a conflict through
    Device
    > > > Manager, I read somewhere that com1 and com3 use the same port and
    com2
    > > and
    > > > com4 use the same port thus causing the conflict.
    > > >
    > > > Is there a way to solve my problem so I can send and receive faxes
    using
    > > Fax
    > > > Console?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Sheryl

    The modem is a GTW V.92 modem, and yes it is listed on the HCL list.

    Sheryl

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > As the information comes trickling in... perhaps you could include the
    > analog fax modem you are now using and whether it appear on the Windows XP
    > HCL list.
    >
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry for the confusion. I no longer am using the Canon device (both the
    > > hardware and the software have been removed). I have installed a Brother
    > > laser printer. I am attempting to send and receive faxes directly from my
    > > computer using XP Fax.
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Windows XP Fax is designed to work with an analog fax modem installed in
    > > > PCI slot on your PC. You appear to be talking about a third party
    > > > "all-in-one" device for which XP Fax was not designed. You'll need to
    > > > contact Canon, I suspect.
    > > > --
    > > > Russ Valentine
    > > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > > "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > installed
    > on
    > > > the
    > modem.
    > > > When
    > > > fax,
    > > > machine
    > port
    > > > the
    > using
    > > > com3.
    > the
    > > > cable
    > Device
    > com2
    > > > and

    > using
    > > > Fax

    Then we would need to set up transmission and PSS logging to investigate
    further, which will require extensive reg hacks. I can send instructions if
    you want.
    --
    > The modem is a GTW V.92 modem, and yes it is listed on the HCL list.
    >
    > Sheryl
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> As the information comes trickling in... perhaps you could include the
    >> analog fax modem you are now using and whether it appear on the Windows
    >> XP
    >> HCL list.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Sorry for the confusion. I no longer am using the Canon device (both
    >> > the
    >> > hardware and the software have been removed). I have installed a
    >> > Brother
    >> > laser printer. I am attempting to send and receive faxes directly from
    >> > my
    >> > computer using XP Fax.

    >> installed
    >> on
    >> modem.
    >> port
    >> using
    >> the
    >> Device
    >> com2

    >> using

    Please send the instructions. Do I post my email address on this forum? Sheryl

    Just send it to me.
    --
    > Please send the instructions. Do I post my email address on this forum?
    > Sheryl
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Then we would need to set up transmission and PSS logging to investigate
    >> further, which will require extensive reg hacks. I can send instructions
    >> if
    >> you want.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The modem is a GTW V.92 modem, and yes it is listed on the HCL list.
    >> >
    >> > Sheryl

Fax Modem Windows XP