DOS printing

Tags:
  • Windows XP
August 18, 2004 10:52:25 PM

Hi all,
2 workstations, XP Home, 1 HP LaserJet 1300, 1 Canon i550.
Same symptom on the 2 computers : print.exe executes and terminates
correctly, the print job appears in the print queue, but nothing is printed,
and the job goes away as if it was printed, without any error !
Any idea ? Thanx a lot for your help.
Raph

More about : dos printing

Anonymous
August 18, 2004 10:52:26 PM

See if Bruce Sanderson's article helps:
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
--
Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com

"Raphaël ROBIN" <raphael.robin@inrezo.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> 2 workstations, XP Home, 1 HP LaserJet 1300, 1 Canon i550.
> Same symptom on the 2 computers : print.exe executes and terminates
> correctly, the print job appears in the print queue, but nothing is
printed,
> and the job goes away as if it was printed, without any error !
> Any idea ? Thanx a lot for your help.
> Raph

Anonymous
August 18, 2004 10:52:27 PM

Also make sure the file is a text file. This will also work if the file is
printed first to file in the print language. If you just have an
application formatted file then what you are attempting is not supported
(unless the application formats in txt).

print /?
Prints a text file.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> See if Bruce Sanderson's article helps:
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
> --
> Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>

> "Raphaël ROBIN" <raphael.robin@inrezo.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > 2 workstations, XP Home, 1 HP LaserJet 1300, 1 Canon i550.
> > Same symptom on the 2 computers : print.exe executes and terminates
> > correctly, the print job appears in the print queue, but nothing is
> printed,
> > and the job goes away as if it was printed, without any error !
> > Any idea ? Thanx a lot for your help.
> > Raph

August 19, 2004 2:44:16 PM

Ok my test was to print a flat text file (dir > c:\test.txt) like this :
print.exe /D:\\pc1\laserjet c:\test.txt
print.exe /D:\\pc2\canoni550 c:\test.txt

It works perfectly on all other machines I've tested, but still dont work on
the 2 stations mentionned ... My client is thinking about rolling back to
W98 !! :( (

I really need your help to find a solution. Thank you.

> Also make sure the file is a text file. This will also work if the file
is
> printed first to file in the print language. If you just have an
> application formatted file then what you are attempting is not supported
> (unless the application formats in txt).
>
> print /?
> Prints a text file.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

rights.

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> > See if Bruce Sanderson's article helps:
> > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
> > --
> > Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> > www.coribright.com
> >

> > "Raphaël ROBIN" <raphael.robin@inrezo.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > > 2 workstations, XP Home, 1 HP LaserJet 1300, 1 Canon i550.
> > > Same symptom on the 2 computers : print.exe executes and terminates
> > > correctly, the print job appears in the print queue, but nothing is
> > printed,
> > > and the job goes away as if it was printed, without any error !
> > > Any idea ? Thanx a lot for your help.
> > > Raph

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:10:16 PM

What if I plug a parallel printer to LPT1 or LPT2 ? Will the DOS app be able
to access the printer ?

Thank you.

"Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:o bYMugWhEHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Also make sure the file is a text file. This will also work if the file
is
> printed first to file in the print language. If you just have an
> application formatted file then what you are attempting is not supported
> (unless the application formats in txt).
>
> print /?
> Prints a text file.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

rights.

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> > See if Bruce Sanderson's article helps:
> > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
> > --
> > Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> > www.coribright.com
> >

> > "Raphaël ROBIN" <raphael.robin@inrezo.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > > 2 workstations, XP Home, 1 HP LaserJet 1300, 1 Canon i550.
> > > Same symptom on the 2 computers : print.exe executes and terminates
> > > correctly, the print job appears in the print queue, but nothing is
> > printed,
> > > and the job goes away as if it was printed, without any error !
> > > Any idea ? Thanx a lot for your help.
> > > Raph

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:10:17 PM

If a physical printer is attached to LPT1 or LPT2 and you have a mapping to
a remote system you will need to unmap first before printing to the
physically attached device

net use LPT2: /d

regarding the print failure, verify the security settings on the spool
directory (the default is \windows\system32\spool\printers). Add everyone
full control and see if that will allow the print.exe command access.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Raphaël ROBIN" <raphael.robin@inrezo.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o N1TaxchEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> What if I plug a parallel printer to LPT1 or LPT2 ? Will the DOS app be
able
> to access the printer ?
>
> Thank you.
>
> "Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
de
> news:o bYMugWhEHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Also make sure the file is a text file. This will also work if the file
> is
> > printed first to file in the print language. If you just have an
> > application formatted file then what you are attempting is not supported
> > (unless the application formats in txt).
> >
> > print /?
> > Prints a text file.
> >
> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> rights.
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> > > See if Bruce Sanderson's article helps:
> > > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
> > > --
> > > Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> > > www.coribright.com
> > >

> > > "Raphaël ROBIN" <raphael.robin@inrezo.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > printed,

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 1:49:06 PM

> If a physical printer is attached to LPT1 or LPT2 and you have a mapping
> a remote system you will need to unmap first before printing to the
> physically attached device
>
> net use LPT2: /d

I hope this is not the only solution because the only // printer at my
client office is an old old s**t ...

> regarding the print failure, verify the security settings on the spool
> directory (the default is \windows\system32\spool\printers). Add everyone
> full control and see if that will allow the print.exe command access.

It's XP Home, I cant modify rights ... Anyway, I looked in this directory
while printing with DOS : 2 files were created (at the same time the job
appears in the spool queue), and went away (as the job disappears from the
queue)

Another idea ? Thank you again.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 1:49:07 PM

You need to turn off Simple File sharing in Explorer properties to expose
the ability to ACL the directories. I think you have to hold ctrl or shift
when bringing up the windows\system32\spool\printers folder properties.

What account name is displayed for Owner in the queue view?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> > If a physical printer is attached to LPT1 or LPT2 and you have a mapping
> > a remote system you will need to unmap first before printing to the
> > physically attached device
> >
> > net use LPT2: /d
>
> I hope this is not the only solution because the only // printer at my
> client office is an old old s**t ...
>
> > regarding the print failure, verify the security settings on the spool
> > directory (the default is \windows\system32\spool\printers). Add
everyone
> > full control and see if that will allow the print.exe command access.
>
> It's XP Home, I cant modify rights ... Anyway, I looked in this directory
> while printing with DOS : 2 files were created (at the same time the job
> appears in the spool queue), and went away (as the job disappears from the
> queue)
>
> Another idea ? Thank you again.

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 3:46:45 PM

> You need to turn off Simple File sharing in Explorer properties to expose
> the ability to ACL the directories. I think you have to hold ctrl or
shift
> when bringing up the windows\system32\spool\printers folder properties.

No way to display ACL with XP Home ... :( (

> What account name is displayed for Owner in the queue view?

Here is the report (in french) of the print job in the XP event viewer :

<< Le document 19, Document local de bas niveau possédé par ACCUEIL a été
imprimé sur hp LaserJet 1000 via le port USB001. Taille en octets : 655 ;
pages imprimées : 0 >>

printed pages : 0

Does this help ? Not me ... :( (

Thanx again for your help.