James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just got a new Brother MFC-8440 to replace my well-used
MFC-8300. I can basically get it to respond as a printer,
but nothing else. I use the scanning functionality a lot
and really need to get it working. When it tries to
install, multiple different ways, I get the same errors:

1) The class installer has denied the request to install
or upgrade the device.

This seems to be the big one that the other two are
probably related to...

2) A service installation section in this INF is invalid.

3) The specified port is unknown.

From a Google search, seems like #1 is a HUGE problem for
the people that get hit with it. All the hardware
companies put is as a Windows XP issue, and given the
breadth of devices it afflicts, I'm inclined to agree.
Other than the multiple of uninstalling, re-installing,
separate drivers, etc. that I've already tried, anybody
got some ideas?

Thanks!
James

"James" wrote:

> I just got a new Brother MFC-8440 to replace my well-used
> MFC-8300. I can basically get it to respond as a printer,
> but nothing else. I use the scanning functionality a lot
> and really need to get it working. When it tries to
> install, multiple different ways, I get the same errors:
>
> 1) The class installer has denied the request to install
> or upgrade the device.
>
> This seems to be the big one that the other two are
> probably related to...
>
> 2) A service installation section in this INF is invalid.
>
> 3) The specified port is unknown.
>
> From a Google search, seems like #1 is a HUGE problem for
> the people that get hit with it. All the hardware
> companies put is as a Windows XP issue, and given the
> breadth of devices it afflicts, I'm inclined to agree.
> Other than the multiple of uninstalling, re-installing,
> separate drivers, etc. that I've already tried, anybody
> got some ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> James

"Eberhard" wrote:
Thanks! It helped me too. If I only would have tried your advise earlier,
it would have saved me several hours. Eberhard

> "James" wrote:
>
> > I just got a new Brother MFC-8440 to replace my well-used
> > MFC-8300. I can basically get it to respond as a printer,
> > but nothing else. I use the scanning functionality a lot
> > and really need to get it working. When it tries to
> > install, multiple different ways, I get the same errors:
> >
> > 1) The class installer has denied the request to install
> > or upgrade the device.
> >
> > This seems to be the big one that the other two are
> > probably related to...
> >
> > 2) A service installation section in this INF is invalid.
> >
> > 3) The specified port is unknown.
> >
> > From a Google search, seems like #1 is a HUGE problem for
> > the people that get hit with it. All the hardware
> > companies put is as a Windows XP issue, and given the
> > breadth of devices it afflicts, I'm inclined to agree.
> > Other than the multiple of uninstalling, re-installing,
> > separate drivers, etc. that I've already tried, anybody
> > got some ideas?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > James

The MFC-8449 hardware is really very nice and I have several of these
machines. But, Brother does an awful job in explaining what this is
all about. And, the standard Disk does install on W2000, but bombs out
on XP, and, unless you go to the Brother site to get the new removal
tool, you need to make changes to the registry to get rid of it on XP,
and W2000 too. This is not for the faint at heart. There are no
directions on how to do this.

As background: There are several parts to the software: The Brother
drivers, the PaperPort (supplied on the CD in version 8, but produced
by ScanSoft), and the Brother extensions to PaperPort for the FAX
function.

I install the machine on XP SP2 as follows:

I go to the Brother site and download only the printer drivers, the
printer install wizard, and the de-installer. After I install these, I
get only the printer functionality.

Then, by exploring the MFC-8440 CD-ROM, and finding the PaperPort
version 8 section, I install this separately without using the Brother
install procedure. Be warned: if you do the standard install, it will
bomb, and scatter hard-to-remove stuff all over. And, the new
de-installer does not work correctly either. Version 8 is not supported
by ScanSoft, who are about four releases beyond this level. I do not
need any other version and, you would need to pay money to Scan Soft
for any newer version, and its compatibility with MFC-8440 is unknown
to me.

There are very large downloads of everything on the Brother site, but,
considering how buggy the CD-ROM is, I have not tried it.

Adding PaperPort gives me scanning functionality and it works just
fine. The OCR coversion is quite good. In fact, it is fantastic
considering the low price for this machine. And the image scan is also
of high quality and the dynamic range is sufficient to do work for
publications.

Now, the fax stuff needed for receiving and sending faxes is a standard
part of XP, and you just do not need any Brother extensions, althought
there is more functionality in Brother's software. But it just seems
to fight with XP's software, and, it crashes. I don't touch it. I just
use the fax add function in XP, and it works just fine. The kind of
stuff I am missing is the ability to put a fax directly into an OCR
process. (I would not do this anyway)

I get only 95% of the functionality this way, but I don't get the
errors and horrendous size of the Brother software. (it adds a couple
of minutes to the boot time.)

Eberhard Wrote:
> "Eberhard" wrote:
> Thanks! It helped me too. If I only would have tried your advise
> earlier,
> it would have saved me several hours. Eberhard-
>

> "James" wrote:
> -
> I just got a new Brother MFC-8440 to replace my well-used
> MFC-8300. I can basically get it to respond as a printer,
> but nothing else. I use the scanning functionality a lot
> and really need to get it working. When it tries to
> install, multiple different ways, I get the same errors:
>
> 1) The class installer has denied the request to install
> or upgrade the device.
>
> This seems to be the big one that the other two are
> probably related to...
>
> 2) A service installation section in this INF is invalid.
>
> 3) The specified port is unknown.
>
> From a Google search, seems like #1 is a HUGE problem for
> the people that get hit with it. All the hardware
> companies put is as a Windows XP issue, and given the
> breadth of devices it afflicts, I'm inclined to agree.
> Other than the multiple of uninstalling, re-installing,
> separate drivers, etc. that I've already tried, anybody
> got some ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> James

aelemay