CeleronA 300mhz@450mhz?

G

Recently got an aging CeleronA 300Mhz and a "P2XBL revB" of which I know nothing apart from the printings on the board.

These components being terribly ancient (but cheap), I want to push it them as far as I can go without replacing the cooler on the CPU (I think that'd be hard to do). Currently I've got it running stable at 374Mhz, but is unable to take it to 450Mhz without seriously sacrificing system stability.

Hardware monitor reads CPU temperature: 30C at bootup to 41C at most. Core voltage: 1.54v. These readings appear to remain constant wether running at 374 or 450Mhz, indicating to me the instability may be cause of insufficient voltage?

In that case, I've read that, there being no way of manual adjusting voltage, I have to tape over some pins on the CPU. Which ones would be dependent on the voltage desired.

So I ask you (whichever knowledgeable person(s) that may read this): What's a good CPU temp for a Celeron?
Which voltage setting would you recommend? Is nailpolish gonna do the job? Anything I ought to know?

Yours
Niels Peter

G

I'm overclocking using the BIOS setting; "CPU/ PCI clock frequency" set to circa 83Mhz/ 43Mhz. Going to 450Mhz means I have to change this to circa 100Mhz/ 33Mhz (I don't remember the exact numbers).
Might this reduction in clock frequency (43 to 33) kill off the pro's of increased CPU speed? I don't know what bearing these numbers has on my system.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your motherboard/cards will be most stable at 100FSB or 66FSB. Tom wrote an article a LONG TIME ago outlining which pins to cover. Scotch tape placed over the corresponding connectors works, slap it on and cut it to the proper width with a razor blade.
This processor should accept at least 2.0v if needed to make it stable.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!