She's running too hot captain!

G

Hey folks,
I have been having a serious heat problem on my new comp. I am currently running at 60 C idle up to 68 C loaded. New comp is an athon 1.4 with an asus A7V133. Those temps were from orginal HS (not sure which kind but it looks better than stock). Anyways, I bought a globalwin fop 32 but I'm still having the same problem. I have tried using multiple cpu readers (asus probe, sandrasis and hmonitor). The only thing I can think of is that the chip has those rubber discs on it which is preventing the disipation. I also used the stock glue tab on the globalwin so not sure if I need to reseat and refit HSF. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
open your case and put a small house fan on it if it goes down then your computer has a airflow problem in the case and you need to put more fans in the case to help it cool down more

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

Triple_A

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
I don't like those gummy patches of compound on the heatsinks. Clean it off and put on some silicone compound or artic silver. And yes, case ventilation is key - I have an A7V133 too and in certain mid tower cases, the HSF is tucked behind the power supply - if yours is like that then shop for a new case. The HSF needs to be in the open to cool properly.

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Well, has he checked on the voltage going through it, and whether it is being accidentally overclocked or not? A suprising number of people make a mishap with jumpers or in the BIOS leading to increased voltage or accidental overclocking.

G

Dont remove those rubber discs as they help when clipping the cooler on, reseat that HSF with Artic silver thermal paste(sparingly) on the CPU core only. Check the voltage like Boondock said, check the fsb as well, overclocking accidently or not those temps are not good, below 50C is acceptable. Checkout your case ventilation ie; install 1 x 80mm top rear extraction fan and even stick another fan in the lower front to blow some fresh air in.

What temp' readings do you have when you pull the side cover off, and what is your system/board temps?

Medication helps :smile:
<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

G

hi all,

thanks for replying to my post. Well, I'm still having trouble getting the temp down. Currently at 63C idle. I got a antec slot fan to help out and I'm waiting for my 80 mm fan for the back. I do have one up front. As for my mb temp it runs around 30C up to 35C loaded. Also, the temps dont make much difference with the case open :/ maybe a C or so. The only curious thing I've seen is going thru sandra the temp starts at 48C and goes up to 58C so it seems the asus probe is off. Anyways, trying and checking everything you guys have mentioned. Thanks and will keep you posted.