CD-ROM Cooler

hornet

Distinguished
May 30, 2001
Does anyone else have a hot CD-ROM/DVD drive?

Does anybody know of a solution?

I thought that there would be some kind of cooler available but I've looked everywhere and still can't find any.

PLEASE HELP!

<font color=red> My Ctrl, Alt & Del keys are worn out </font color=red> :wink:

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
There are coolers out there that can be mounted in a drive bay. They are ment to be used to cool hard drives, but I suppose that they would work just as well with cd burners. Although brand names escape my just now, they are ment to pull air in from outside the case and blow it on the hard drives. If you have a free external drive bay then that could be an option.

Just out of curosity, how hot does your burner/DVD drive get? Normally hot cd drives aren't a problem because they don't run the whole time that the computer is on. Is yours accessed constantly?

hornet

Distinguished
May 30, 2001
Temperature changes as you say with access but it gets quite warm to the touch when it's being thrashed.

The worst one was installing Corel Draw the install took nearly an hour with constant disk access.

I'm not really too worried about heat but I like to keep my case cool(er) especially with my athlon pumping out heat.

<font color=red> My Ctrl, Alt & Del keys are worn out </font color=red> :wink:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
almost an hour?????
whats your system, specs? also what speed cd is it?, it may be that the drive is on its way out, I recently installed office 2000 on a 166mmx / 32 Meg ram (not my idea!!) and that took almost an hour, but that system is old, the cd drive something like an 8 speed. Anything modern (ish) shouldnt take anywhere near an hour, unless the cd drive is struggling reading the cd's.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

try here
<A HREF="http:// www.3dfxcool.com " target="_new">http:// www.3dfxcool.com </A>

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Hardware Central Rules
<A HREF="mailto: techie2000@supanet.com "> techie2000@supanet.com </A>