hi:
anybody know how to share a scanner in windows xp for a
LAN, i have one scanner this model HP SCANJET 5550C, but i
have 10 user that scan imagen.

thk for your help.

atte.

You may find that software to share your scanner came with the scanner. See
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bps03013.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

Mojon wrote:
> hi:
> anybody know how to share a scanner in windows xp for a
> LAN, i have one scanner this model HP SCANJET 5550C, but i
> have 10 user that scan imagen.
>
> thk for your help.
>
> atte.

Two solutions.

Perfectscan: http://www.recogniform.com/scanning.htm Somewhat
expensive($239). Have run trial, it works. Only need to know IP address of
machine that has scanner on it.

Remote-Scan: http://www.remote-scan.com/ Haven't tried this one. Trial
client only calls Remote-Scan. No Server Trial
$39 Home license for 1 server and 4 clients; $99 Business license 1 server
and 10 clients. Says they only charge for clients, but not clear if so on
site.

Hope this helps.

Dick Kistler

Bruce Sanderson wrote:
> You may find that software to share your scanner came with the
> scanner. See
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bps03013.

Do you know with which scanner this software is included? I have an HP
4470c. This looks like it may be a very old version of Precisionscan Pro,
since Windows 98 and NT 4.0 are operating systems mentioned. I have an
install of Precisionscan Pro 3.14, which I think is the latest version(at
least the download page for my scanner seems to indicate this). It is about
3 years old, and it does not have a Share Scanner program available. I don't
remember if a network was actually configured when I installed the software,
but there was a nic and driver installed. The directions seem to imply that
for the network option to be installed, a network needs to be there during
the install. If this latest version of Precisionscan Pro would allow network
sharing, it would be neat.

Any additional info you might have would be helpful.

Dick Kistler

"Bruce Sanderson" <Bruce.Sanderson@junk.junk> wrote in message
> You may find that software to share your scanner came with the scanner.
> See
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bps03013.
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP
Later,

It appears that network sharing is a feature only of the 6000 and 7000
series of scanners. At least, the lanscan software which is a part of
PrecisionScan LAN is only distributed with them(newer versions that don't
use PrecisionScan Pro also use different lan software). Unknown whether the
Software could be installed on a computer that had a 4000 or 5000 series
scanner and work. Would probably lead to a driver conflict at best.

It looks like the version of PrecisionScan Pro that I have just doesn't have
the network capability included.

Rats!

Dick Kistler

I suspect you're correct. I have a 4470c at home and it certainly didn't
come with sharing software, not that I have a use for it.

We have a 6200 at the office and it did come with software to share it,
although we have not found it all that useful - it's much more convenient to
do the scanning from the computer right beside the scanner then save the
file in the appropriate network share.

--

Bruce Sanderson wrote:
> I suspect you're correct. I have a 4470c at home and it certainly
> didn't come with sharing software, not that I have a use for it.
>
> We have a 6200 at the office and it did come with software to share
> it, although we have not found it all that useful - it's much more
> convenient to do the scanning from the computer right beside the
> scanner then save the file in the appropriate network share.

Yeah, that seems to be the best route. The scanner sharing program I
tried was woefully slow. It would have been quicker to scan using the
computer the scanner was connected to and sharing the file as you say.

Also I downloaded the 6000 series software and looked at pulling the
install apart and just installing the network software, but if there is a
way to do that, I couldn't figure it out.

Dick