Best pump for water cooler

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Okay, I've been looking into various cooling situations for my CPU, and have decided to go with water cooling. I just have one question, what's a good rating for a water pump? I've heard that getting one that's too slow won't allow proper cooling and that getting one that's too fast will shoot it through the radiator too fast to cool it down. What's the happy medium? I'm thinking around 200 GPH, give or take 50 but am open to suggestions.

I've read many articals about water cooling, but they never mention what kind of pumps they use, focusing on the water block and radiator instead.

Please don't mention any brand names, as they likely won't be available where I live. I'm just looking for a good ratings or specs that I can follow.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I recently went watercooled, details <A HREF="http://www.calvsplacec.cwc.net" target="_new">HERE</A> I use an Eheim 1250 which pumps 1250 litres per hour (sorry dunno how many gallons that is) and works just fine, I had trouble deciding what pump too, but I figured if I went for one that pumps plenty, I could always use a restrictor to slow it down, but if I got a lower rated one, I wouldnt be able to make it pump more :)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

330.312375 gallons (US liq.) 5.5 G per min.

Awsome cooler set up!

Medication helps :smile:
<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>