Network Printing Slow

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I have a Linksys Wireless G router and 2 PCs with XP Home.

I'm trying to print from my wireless laptop to the printer that's connected
to the wired desktop (HP 7150 via USB).

When I print a large picture, I see data transmitting from the laptop (and
received by the desktop) at about 40KB/sec.

So if it's a 6MB image file that needs to print, it takes a pretty long
time.

I get the same results with various image programs.

As a test, I did a file transfer between machines and do get speeds over
300KB/sec.

Is this normal or is there someway to speed up the transfer of the print
file?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

First off, much of this depends on how strong your signal is and all
that jazz. I doubt this is the problem though. It may be that your
computer is sending information through the other computer and then
directly into the printer. This would mean the printer is limiting the
speed because it can't take the data that fast. I highly doubt this is
the problem though since USB has a fast enough throughput, but there is
an outside chance that your printer can't accept data that fast.

My opinion, if it works, just leave it be. Unless you are in a
production environment that needs to save that extra 30 seconds, I would
just leave it the way it is.

----
Nathan McNulty

David L wrote:
> I have a Linksys Wireless G router and 2 PCs with XP Home.
>
> I'm trying to print from my wireless laptop to the printer that's connected
> to the wired desktop (HP 7150 via USB).
>
> When I print a large picture, I see data transmitting from the laptop (and
> received by the desktop) at about 40KB/sec.
>
> So if it's a 6MB image file that needs to print, it takes a pretty long
> time.
>
> I get the same results with various image programs.
>
> As a test, I did a file transfer between machines and do get speeds over
> 300KB/sec.
>
> Is this normal or is there someway to speed up the transfer of the print
> file?

TRENDING THREADS