Honest Question

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 8, 2004 2:43:59 AM

I'm going to try not to be a troll here, I swear...
I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market (Sprint
PCS)?

By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that the
largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless came
about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon? Wouldn't people take
advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?

Try not to flame me too much! :)  I'm honestly just trying to start a topic.

More about : honest question

April 8, 2004 3:22:32 AM

One of the accounts I have with Cingular I've had for nine years. It was
originally SNET out of CT. At that time there were only two services in
western MA and SNET was the only one that covered my town. It became
Cellular One and then Cingular. I've had great service from them since day
one in my home area and traveling up and down the east coast. I wouldn't
even consider leaving Cingular. I've also had a Sprint PCS account since
last year and I've been very pleased with them to.

As far as Verizon, although their maps show coverage where I live, putting
in my zip code at their site says they don't cover my town. I wouldn't
switch anyway. They are too expensive and I don't like their selection of
phones.

:
: By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that
the
: largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless
came
: about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon? Wouldn't people
take
: advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?
:
: Try not to flame me too much! :)  I'm honestly just trying to start a
topic.
:
:
April 8, 2004 3:43:51 AM

Hmm...well I've been doing my business with RadioShack for years, and did in
fact make my personal wireless purchase there. I can't think of any other
electronics store that has been in business as long as them. 70 years is
it? My point here is that I'm sure they more often than not, have the
customer in mind, probably one of the ways that they've managed to stay
alive through this economy.
Take my word for it though folks, where you buy your phone makes a huge
difference on owning your phone. The nearest Carrier owned store is a solid
hour away, and typically has wait times. A sketchy kiosk in a mall doesn't
have any interest in helping you out with any kind of hardware probs or
questions you might have after you've signed up. All they do is tell you to
call customer service. yuck.
My point on the whole Radioshack discussion was that they have without a
doubt the most credibility in the wireless industry, as they practically
invented it. Does it not make sense to take a cue from them, at the very
least?

"Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm going to try not to be a troll here, I swear...
> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
> services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
> Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
> on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market
(Sprint
> PCS)?
>
> By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that the
> largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless
came
> about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon? Wouldn't people
take
> advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?
>
> Try not to flame me too much! :)  I'm honestly just trying to start a
topic.

a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 7:00:57 AM

In article <ceGdnV6WsY3JIend4p2dnA@comcast.com>,
"Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm going to try not to be a troll here, I swear...
> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
> services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
> Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
> on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market (Sprint
> PCS)?
>
> By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that the
> largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless came
> about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon? Wouldn't people take
> advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?

I am sure Radio Shack carries brands based on profittability for
themselves not on any altruistic motives.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 7:20:41 AM

"Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm going to try not to be a troll here, I swear...
> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
> services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
> Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
> on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market
(Sprint
> PCS)?
>
> By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that the
> largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless
came
> about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon? Wouldn't people
take
> advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?
>
> Try not to flame me too much! :)  I'm honestly just trying to start a
topic.

To me, it does not matter where the purchase is made. It can be on the
internet, at a mall kiosk, or a store. It does not matter. What counts is
that the company must have a money back policy so I can try their service
without obligation for at least two weeks. I was on SprintPCS once - but the
coverage and voice quality was awful - with a really silly short message
system where you had to basically log onto the internet to send a short
message. Really STUPID.

So I learnt that the fancy desk at Radio Shack does not impress me much. Buy
it, try it. If you don't like it then return it...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 7:47:00 AM

"Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm going to try not to be a troll here, I swear...
> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
> services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
> Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
> on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market
(Sprint
> PCS)?
>
> By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that the
> largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless
came
> about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon? Wouldn't people
take
> advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?
>
> Try not to flame me too much! :)  I'm honestly just trying to start a
topic.

I got cingular when they moved into the Seattle
market because they had the lowest price, and I
was waiting for cell phones to reach my personal
price point.(at the time 29.99) I am nearing the end
of my second contract (three 1/2 years later) I have
had good coverage, no billing issues to speak of,
and good coverage that seems to be improving
as time goes on. I bought my phone at a corporate
store, not a booth in a mall.

Bernard
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 8:00:08 AM

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how soon after a post
Phillie, Robert M, etc of his 59_ names he uses.

Kev wrote:
> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
> services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
> Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
> on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market (Sprint
> PCS)?

Those here that chose Cingular would be the same reason why people
in the Sprint and AT&T NGs chose their respective carrier - whatever
product works best for them.

The size of a carrier's network is irrelevent as everyone partners
coverage with each other and the customer could care less. All
carriers blanket the NFL cities - a term used about 20 years ago
to describe the initial rollouts in the top National Football League
cities.

It doesn't matter who "wrote the book", TDMA is TDMA and CDMA is CDMA.

I use Cingular for work because parent company owns a Radio Shack
franchise and sells Cingular which is the only carrier that offers
local numbers in the county, but Sprint has better network coverage.

I use Sprint for my personal use because I need the unlimited internet
access and not have to pay $5 everytime I view a weather radar image

> By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that the
> largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless came
> about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon?

If you're referring to Radio Shack, they used to offer Cingular. And if
they are the largest retailer, its because of store penetration.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 11:38:21 AM

Hmmm. Over the years, I have used GTE (changed to Cingular here), ATTWS and
Verizon. they all had their warts, as does Cingular. I just moved from
ATTWS to Cingular, and strongly considered both Sprint and Verizon. For
some reason, Verizon does not work in the building I work in. Spring has
poor coverage near my house. ATTWS is too damn expensive (1-rate) and their
GSM coverage is spotty in the area. Cingular works for me. In the end, it
isn't the technology, it boils down to whether it works where you use it.
Also, those rollover minutes are a pretty good deal!

"Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm going to try not to be a troll here, I swear...
> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
> services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
> Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
> on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market
(Sprint
> PCS)?
>
> By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that the
> largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless
came
> about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon? Wouldn't people
take
> advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?
>
> Try not to flame me too much! :)  I'm honestly just trying to start a
topic.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 12:30:41 PM

"Kev" <Axekick> wrote in message news:ceGdnV6WsY3JIend4p2dnA@comcast.com...
> I'm going to try not to be a troll here, I swear...
> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
> services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
> Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
> on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market
(Sprint
> PCS)?
>
> By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that the
> largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless
came
> about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon? Wouldn't people
take
> advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?
>
> Try not to flame me too much! :)  I'm honestly just trying to start a
topic.

I'd like to know how it's supposedly been "proven" that VZW has a much
larger Network. I've had VZW for years. I'm currently a Cingular GSM
Nation customer. I travel all over the country (required to, by work).
Verizon has overall good coverage. But they do NOT have better coverage
than Cingular GSM. At worst, the few dead spots I've noticed on Cingular
were in the exact same areas that VZW has dead spots. Also on a recent road
trip, we had to let a friend use our Cingular handset to make her phone
calls as she had no signal on her VZW handset . . . anywhere in the state!!!
If you compare VZW to Cingular GSM nation with an objective mind, there is
no way you would state with a straight face that VZW has better coverage.
Of course, either carrier might have better coverage in certain locations.
So the more travelling you do, the more likely you are to conclude that they
are equal, coverage wise.

As for data services . . . I was reading an article recently about new data
services technologies that are aimed at cellular phone users. The gist of
the article was, these services are going to be a huge flop, as the vast
majority of cellular phone users don't care about data services. I agree
with that assessment. I'm addicted to the Internet, and I wouldn't want to
use it on a cellular phone. Even most heavy Internet users would rather
wait till they get home to their broadband (wired) connection to check their
e-mail, etc. I had to laugh my ass off when Nokia recently upgraded some of
their handsets to be AOL IM compatible. I'd gladly pay Nokia to REMOVE that
particular bug, errrrr . . . feature. Of course, the obvious result of this
is that now your movie is going to be interrupted by some teeny bopper not
TALKING on the cell phone, but rather sending IM (brrrrring!!!!, pause pause
pause, brrrrring!!!!, pause, brrrrring!!!!, pause pause pause pause pause
pause pause pause, brrrrring!!!!)

Oh, when I went to sign up for Cingular, I actually signed up at a local
Mom&Pop type store that offers Cingular Wireless (plus all phones and tons
of accessories) and Dish Network satellite TV (plus all hardware). I gave
them my business as they were very patient in answering dozens of questions
from both me and my wife about the Cingular service. Although we had to
leave Verizon, we wanted to make SURE our new service (whoever that might
be) was going to be right for us. After answering all of our detailled
questions to our satisfaction, the free trial period was enough to convince
us to go for it. No regrets.

Oh, and we had to leave Verizon due to frequent, outrageous billing errors
that were causing our monthly bill to be double or triple what it should be.
The last straw for us was Verizon admitting that it was their problem and
still refusing to correct it. Basically what it boiled down to is that
certain calls made ON THE VERIZON WIRELESS NETWORK (not roaming) were being
billed months later than they should have been. Thus, we would have very
low minute usage in certain months and incredibly high minute usage in other
months, because of Verizon billing errors. If it wasn't for these billing
errors, we would never have gone over our "anytime" minutes. Verizon came
right out and admitted to me that it was a billing problem on their end, and
that they refused to fix it. So I had to fix it for them. I don't deal
with Verizon's intentional billing errors anymore. I pity anybody who just
signed a long-term contract with VZW. They'll getcha . . . just wait.
(evil grin)

-Dave
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 2:15:58 PM

"Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote
> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular

I chose Cingular for one reason: they prorate the cancellation penalty
on the contract, whereas with all the others keep the full penalty to
the end of the contract. Since it was my first cell phone, that was
significant to me. (If it's significant to you, then obviously you
have to check that it's true now in your location.)

I didn't see anything else to choose among them. Then and now, I hear
good things and horror stories about all of them. I have my own horror
story about Cingular, but I don't have any illusion that any of the
others would be better. Based on everything I read, all have highly
variable support and plenty of horror stories.

Edward
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 4:55:22 PM

In article <P5ednf61y4pw2OjdRVn-hQ@comcast.com>,
"Dave C." <spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote:

> If you compare VZW to Cingular GSM nation with an objective mind, there is
> no way you would state with a straight face that VZW has better coverage.

However a Verizon phone most likely would allow you to roam on in analog
area, whereas Cingular GSM phones do not have analog capability at all.
Next time suggest your friend with Verizon allow their phone to use
roaming.
April 8, 2004 4:55:23 PM

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 12:55:22 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <P5ednf61y4pw2OjdRVn-hQ@comcast.com>,
> "Dave C." <spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote:
>
>> If you compare VZW to Cingular GSM nation with an objective mind, there is
>> no way you would state with a straight face that VZW has better coverage.
>
>However a Verizon phone most likely would allow you to roam on in analog
>area, whereas Cingular GSM phones do not have analog capability at all.
>Next time suggest your friend with Verizon allow their phone to use
>roaming.

Verizon is now selling phones without analog AMPS.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
April 8, 2004 4:57:33 PM

Before you start making generalizations like the Verizon/Sprint comments you
need to do more research!

The reason I switched from Verizon, customer since they were formed from
Airtouch about 6 yrs ago, was that Cingular had better phones feature wise
(in my opinion), same quality of service in my area and a good family plan.

"Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm going to try not to be a troll here, I swear...
> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
> services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
> Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
> on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market
(Sprint
> PCS)?
>
> By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that the
> largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless
came
> about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon? Wouldn't people
take
> advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?
>
> Try not to flame me too much! :)  I'm honestly just trying to start a
topic.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 6:40:08 PM

In article <h5la7092g0gontanirug6jufirvi54mqk4@4ax.com>,
Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NONOcom> wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 12:55:22 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <P5ednf61y4pw2OjdRVn-hQ@comcast.com>,
> > "Dave C." <spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote:
> >
> >> If you compare VZW to Cingular GSM nation with an objective mind, there is
> >> no way you would state with a straight face that VZW has better coverage.
> >
> >However a Verizon phone most likely would allow you to roam on in analog
> >area, whereas Cingular GSM phones do not have analog capability at all.
> >Next time suggest your friend with Verizon allow their phone to use
> >roaming.
>
> Verizon is now selling phones without analog AMPS.

just a few, and I did not say "ALL", I said "most likely".
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 6:56:45 PM

> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
>services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
>Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
>on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market (Sprint
PCS)

Well, my wife and son both have Cingular. We live way out in the country about
80 miles South East of Dallas.

My wife was first and I got her phone from Cingular when they were SBMS because
they were the only ones that had a tower withing 10 miles of our home. Since
she works in the same general vicinity it made sense at the time to get her
their service.

When my son started driving, we wanted him to have a cell phone and he was
added to her account.

>By the way, where did you make your purchase?

Directly from SBMS/Cingular. Upgrades over the years have typically come free
of charge and both of their phones now are the 3560's with different faceplates
to tell them apart.

>Has anyone noticed that the
>largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless came
>about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon?

I have noticed that and quite often send people there to buy a phone because of
the way that they handle warranty issues.

>Wouldn't people take
>advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?

Maybe.... but then again, the Radio Shack people are little more than the same
people that worked at the Kiosk in the mall last week.

In our "family", we have the 2 Cingular phones mentioned above and my partners
daughter has a 6340i, again because of where we live and travel. I have a
Sprint PCS phone and my partner and his wife both have Sprint PCS phones on
that same account. I have an AT&T WS TDMA DOR plan and more recently a $29.99
GSM plan with AT&T WS. I also carry a GSM "Test Phone" provided by AT&T WS for
the work I am doing for them at this time. Finally, I also have T-Mobile with
their 1000 minute plan and use that SIM in a Merlin G100 air card as well.

I have never had Verizon and probably won't ever have them. I have done a lot
of work for Verizon over the years and most of the people that I know that have
Verizon are currently having problems. ALL the people in my companies office in
North Carolina have Verizon and you typically can't carry on a conversation
with them without having to re-establish the connection 2 or 3 or more times
depending on the length of the conversation.

How do I rate the various services? Well, I would rate them based on MY
experience over the years.

1. would be Sprint PCS. The clarity of the calls is great and many times the
people on the other end of the line can't even tell I am on a cell phone.
Although much has been written about the poor customer service, I find that
other than long hold times. once connected, it is ok. But then again I seldom
call them.

2. would be AT&T WS's TDMA/AMPS service and their DOR plan which seems to
simply work all over the country. Working on and in their GSM system makes me
know that it is great where they have coverage but if you are off the beaten
path at all, the chances that you will have a signal are nill.

3. would be T-Mobile. Where they haev service it is rock solid and their
customer service is prompt and courteous.

4. At the bottom of the list would be Cingular. Where they offer service that
my family members use, the service is good. However I fault any company that
only has customer service (611) available during "regular" business hours and
not 24 hours a day every day of the year like everyone else.

YMMV

--
John S.
a b F Wireless

> 2. would be AT&T WS's TDMA/AMPS service and their DOR plan which seems to
> simply work all over the country. Working on and in their GSM system makes
me
> know that it is great where they have coverage but if you are off the
beaten
> path at all, the chances that you will have a signal are nill.
>
> 3. would be T-Mobile. Where they haev service it is rock solid and their
> customer service is prompt and courteous.
>
> 4. At the bottom of the list would be Cingular.

http://www.internetnews.com/wireless/article.php/331335...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 7:02:47 PM

>Verizon is now selling phones without analog AMPS.

They (and Sprint PCS) always has sold phones without AMPS.

--
John S.
a b F Wireless

In article <20040408110247.04031.00000010@mb-m01.aol.com>,
sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:

> >Verizon is now selling phones without analog AMPS.
>
> They (and Sprint PCS) always has sold phones without AMPS.

90% of each of their phones models and absolute numbers are sold with
Amps. I cant even recall a SprintPCS phone other than the Treo 600
without amps.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 7:44:50 PM

In article <20040408105645.04031.00000009@mb-m01.aol.com>,
sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:

> Maybe.... but then again, the Radio Shack people are little more than the same
> people that worked at the Kiosk in the mall last week.

Some Mall kiosks are in fact owned and operated by Radio Shack.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 9, 2004 4:57:22 AM

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 03:00:57 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com>
wrote:

>In article <ceGdnV6WsY3JIend4p2dnA@comcast.com>,
> "Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm going to try not to be a troll here, I swear...
>> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
>> services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
>> Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
>> on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market (Sprint
>> PCS)?
>>
>> By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that the
>> largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless came
>> about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon? Wouldn't people take
>> advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?
>
>I am sure Radio Shack carries brands based on profittability for
>themselves not on any altruistic motives.

Since you asked. First of all is will the phone work (can you make and
receive calls) from where you are and where you normally go. I does
not make any difference how great or cheap the plan is, if it won't
work where you are you might as well not have it.

Do some web research on any big company and you will see there are
many people who got screwed by that company no matter what that
company is. I love and have bought many sets of Michelin tires, but
there are many people who have been screwed by them, same goes for
Goodyear, Firestone or any other manufacturer. So, if i do enough
research there are horrible stories about every tire company. Does
this mean that I won't buy tires, hardly....

Same with phones, but fortunately most of use do not have to have a
wireless phone, makes life easier, in most cases.

So, i talked to everyone I know and asked them what they had and how
they like it. I visit a nearby city often and Sprint does not have
coverage there at all... no point in getting a phone from sprint at
this time. Borrowed a friends Cingular phone to make sure it worked
where I live.... it is not on a cingular tower, so I can't dial all
the quickie numbers like *MIN# and *BIL#, but i can call the 800
number and find out the same things. I went with the shortest time I
could find for a service agreement. The shorter the better. I bought
my phone off of ebay for $24.99 plus shipping with no sim chip, extra
battery and car charger and earpieceand home charger. Cingular dealer
said that sometimes sim chip has previous owners charges in it. I
think he charged me $21.20 for the new sim chip, price is in my
checkbook and i'm not going to look it up.

It is also my understanding that on June 11 Cingular is going to
release 20 new smart phones and they will be GSM... at least that is
what or nearly what several Cingular stores and dealers told me.

I'll cut to the chase, if you poll all of your friends and see how
happy they are with what they have then attempt to make a informed
decision and get the shortest term of service you can.... If you
screwed up then you can change carriers sooner.

Good Luck (you will need it)

painfully new
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 9, 2004 5:13:17 AM

In article <m4tb70tqlni5oh3fm0e1emquc0u1kfp47s@4ax.com>,
painfully@a.noo.one wrote:

> It is also my understanding that on June 11 Cingular is going to
> release 20 new smart phones and they will be GSM... at least that is
> what or nearly what several Cingular stores and dealers told me.

Rule #1: Don't buy promises.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 9, 2004 7:38:59 AM

> I'll cut to the chase, if you poll all of your friends and see how
> happy they are with what they have then attempt to make a informed
> decision and get the shortest term of service you can.... If you
> screwed up then you can change carriers sooner.
>
> Good Luck (you will need it)
>
> painfully new

I don't think it's necessary to go for a short contract. Rule number one is
to not sign any contract that you can't back out of within a free trial
period. Use the heck out of the phone during the free trial period, making
calls (even short ones) from everywhere you'd normally go in a typical week.
If you don't encounter any dead zones or other problems you can't live with,
you are probably good to go. -Dave
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 9, 2004 2:22:27 PM

In article <QZSdnT1vIauTzuvdRVn-ig@comcast.com>,
"Dave C." <spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote:

> I don't think it's necessary to go for a short contract. Rule number one is
> to not sign any contract that you can't back out of within a free trial
> period.

There is no FREE TRIAL period. There is a trial period for the phone,
but between activation and useage charges, your trial period in mosts
cases ending up costing ~$100.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 9, 2004 8:40:53 PM

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 03:38:59 -0400, "Dave C."
<spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote:

>> I'll cut to the chase, if you poll all of your friends and see how
>> happy they are with what they have then attempt to make a informed
>> decision and get the shortest term of service you can.... If you
>> screwed up then you can change carriers sooner.
>>
>> Good Luck (you will need it)
>>
>> painfully new
>
>I don't think it's necessary to go for a short contract. Rule number one is
>to not sign any contract that you can't back out of within a free trial
>period. Use the heck out of the phone during the free trial period, making
>calls (even short ones) from everywhere you'd normally go in a typical week.
>If you don't encounter any dead zones or other problems you can't live with,
>you are probably good to go. -Dave

I respect your opinion, but, The wireless phone market changes on a
daily basis, what might be a good deal today even the best, might look
pretty bad 18 months from now. The shorter the contract the better
IMHO.

painfully new

April 9, 2004 10:14:42 PM

"> There is no FREE TRIAL period. There is a trial period for the phone,
> but between activation and useage charges, your trial period in mosts
> cases ending up costing ~$100."

This is not the case at all....again, my local Radioshack offers a
choice of Sprint PCS and Verizon Wireless. SprintPCS offers what they call
their "Coverage Challange". Basically, the folks at RadioShack activate a
wireless phone of your choice right there in the store for you, give you
Instant Rebates on it, and Sprints STILL lets you try it for 2 weeks. If
you can't get coverage in the places you work, live, etc, you can return it
to any of over 7,000 RadioShack stores for a full refund on the phone, and
accessories, and you are billed absolutely NOTHING. No activation fee! No
usage fees!!! Not even any annoying taxes, etc!
Verizon offers a similar trial. Same thing on RadioShacks end, but
they may charge you a prorated fee for the 2 week trial. They don't however
charge you the activation fee.

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
> In article <QZSdnT1vIauTzuvdRVn-ig@comcast.com>,
> "Dave C." <spammersdie@ahorribledeath.now> wrote:
>
> > I don't think it's necessary to go for a short contract. Rule number
one is
> > to not sign any contract that you can't back out of within a free trial
> > period.
>
> There is no FREE TRIAL period. There is a trial period for the phone,
> but between activation and useage charges, your trial period in mosts
> cases ending up costing ~$100.
April 9, 2004 10:20:52 PM

Theer was like 2..maybe 3 models that didn't have analog access...Kinda
makes my point though...The fact that Sprint and Verizon allow analog access
along with their own (again superior, can't believe THAT point is even
challanged) coverage, makes them more reliable for coverage than gsm could
ever hope. Period.
> In article <20040408110247.04031.00000010@mb-m01.aol.com>,
> sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:
>
> > >Verizon is now selling phones without analog AMPS.
> >
> > They (and Sprint PCS) always has sold phones without AMPS.
>
> 90% of each of their phones models and absolute numbers are sold with
> Amps. I cant even recall a SprintPCS phone other than the Treo 600
> without amps.
April 9, 2004 10:20:53 PM

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:20:52 -0400, "Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote:

>Theer was like 2..maybe 3 models that didn't have analog access...Kinda
>makes my point though...The fact that Sprint and Verizon allow analog access
>along with their own (again superior, can't believe THAT point is even
>challanged) coverage, makes them more reliable for coverage than gsm could
>ever hope. Period.

Not unless analog AMPS backup is in the picture.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
April 9, 2004 10:24:38 PM

Awesome feedback from everyone! More posts coming?

"Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm going to try not to be a troll here, I swear...
> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
> services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
> Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
> on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market
(Sprint
> PCS)?
>
> By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that the
> largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless
came
> about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon? Wouldn't people
take
> advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?
>
> Try not to flame me too much! :)  I'm honestly just trying to start a
topic.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 10, 2004 2:23:23 AM

In article <WeudnVlJDLWQverdRVn-sQ@comcast.com>,
"Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote:

> "> There is no FREE TRIAL period. There is a trial period for the phone,
> > but between activation and useage charges, your trial period in mosts
> > cases ending up costing ~$100."
>
> This is not the case at all....again, my local Radioshack offers a
> choice of Sprint PCS and Verizon Wireless. SprintPCS offers what they call
> their "Coverage Challange".

and the URL for this is where? Its not anywhere on the Sprint or
RadioShack web site or anywhere that Google knows about.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 10, 2004 2:23:24 AM

> In article <WeudnVlJDLWQverdRVn-sQ@comcast.com>,
> "Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > "> There is no FREE TRIAL period. There is a trial period for the phone,
> > > but between activation and useage charges, your trial period in mosts
> > > cases ending up costing ~$100."
> >
> > This is not the case at all....again, my local Radioshack offers a
> > choice of Sprint PCS and Verizon Wireless. SprintPCS offers what they
call
> > their "Coverage Challange".
>
> and the URL for this is where? Its not anywhere on the Sprint or
> RadioShack web site or anywhere that Google knows about.

Why does there have to be a URL? Ever heard of local promotions?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 10, 2004 7:28:25 AM

Scott Stephenson wrote:

> Why does there have to be a URL? Ever heard of local promotions?

Philipe, Robert M., Cell Merger, et all...must be doing a Google
search with his apologist filter turned on, thus preventing him
from finding anything good about Sprint.
April 10, 2004 1:08:18 PM

> and the URL for this is where? Its not anywhere on the Sprint or
> RadioShack web site or anywhere that Google knows about.

Do you have a car? Drive to RS, or if you actually have a Sprint corporate
store in your neighborhood, drive there, and ask.... Better yet, try one
out! Get one of the phones with Ready Link (sprints version of nextels
walkie talkie) really cool feature...don't worry though, Cingular will
probably get it eventually!
April 10, 2004 1:09:43 PM

Right, that's kinda what we're saying..cause it is in the picture on both
services...Must be nice, huh?

> Not unless analog AMPS backup is in the picture.

> remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2004 2:21:46 AM

My local RS store was a Cingular dealer a few years ago. They told me they
switched to Sprint because the corp struck a more lucrative deal with
Sprint. Nothing to do with superior technology -- just a better financial
arrangement. That's how business is usually conducted in this country.

Also, when I go into an RS store to make a purchase, I am usually served by
young fellas that know basically nothing about the technology other than the
features they have been trained to sell. Because I have been an EE for
nearly 30 years and know a lot about various technologies, I get a kick when
I patiently listen to them try to sell me on technology they know nearly
nothing about. I don't fault them. They are salespeople and not trained to
know the underlying technologies.

My point is, that despite 70 years having been a retailer of consumer
electronics, RS is still simply a retailer just like the kiosks, corporate
stores, etc. As anybody who frequents this group knows all too well, last
year's technology is obsolete today. So longevity in retail electronics
sales is not necessarily related to some advanced insight into most superior
technology. If they had selected the best technology, they would have sold
Betamax VCR's instead of VHS. VHS offered a better value proposition. So
it won out in the marketplace, including RS's stores.

My opinion is that, in the good ole' USof A, neither Sprint/Verizon's
technology choice nor AWE/Cingular/Tmobile's choice have gained a clear
marketable advantage. Both technologies work good enough. In terms of
worldwide acceptance, GSM has a much larger foothold. I saw some recent
announcements where one or both of the CDMA carriers (Verizon/Sprint) are
going to offer phones that are GSM capable. Could this be a sign that the
gobal marketplace pull is to great to ignore (forget the arguments about
which is the superior technology)?

"Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm going to try not to be a troll here, I swear...
> I'd like to hear some feedback as to why you all chose Cingular over
> services that have either a (proven) much larger network, (Verizon
> Wireless), or a service that basically wrote the book (in the US at least)
> on having the most advanced and data capable handsets on the market
(Sprint
> PCS)?
>
> By the way, where did you make your purchase? Has anyone noticed that the
> largest wireless phone retailer in the US (and has been since wireless
came
> about) carries prodominently Sprint PCS and Verizon? Wouldn't people
take
> advice from them rather than some no name booth in a mall somewhere?
>
> Try not to flame me too much! :)  I'm honestly just trying to start a
topic.

April 11, 2004 2:30:19 AM

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:09:43 -0400, "Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote:

>Right, that's kinda what we're saying..cause it is in the picture on both
>services...Must be nice, huh?
>
>> Not unless analog AMPS backup is in the picture.

There are new phones being sold that do not have AMPS backup. All GSM
phones except the GAIT models.
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2004 3:25:23 AM

In article <_r_dc.8066$6C1.6920@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>,
"cledus" <cleadus@swbell.net> wrote:

> My local RS store was a Cingular dealer a few years ago. They told me they
> switched to Sprint because the corp struck a more lucrative deal with
> Sprint. Nothing to do with superior technology -- just a better financial
> arrangement. That's how business is usually conducted in this country.
>
> Also, when I go into an RS store to make a purchase, I am usually served by
> young fellas that know basically nothing about the technology other than the
> features they have been trained to sell. Because I have been an EE for
> nearly 30 years and know a lot about various technologies, I get a kick when
> I patiently listen to them try to sell me on technology they know nearly
> nothing about. I don't fault them. They are salespeople and not trained to
> know the underlying technologies.

Reminds me of Radio Shacks' former venture: Computer City: if you asked
a legitimate question like: "I was looking for a low priced laser
printer, Is this Ricoh LED printer any good?"

You'd get the full scope of training: One Sentence:

"Well, we sell a lot of them".
April 11, 2004 3:25:24 AM

> In article <_r_dc.8066$6C1.6920@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>,
> "cledus" <cleadus@swbell.net> wrote:
>

> You'd get the full scope of training: One Sentence:
>
> "Well, we sell a lot of them".

Not the best example of a great salesman, but a great example of a good
salesman. He doesn't make money by telling you dorky techy stuff that 99%
of shoppers wouldn't understand...he makes money by putting one on your
charge card. Any place that teaches you about technology and teaches you
how to operate everthing you buy, should charge for that...just like "EE"
schools do.... :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2004 3:28:06 AM

In article <_r_dc.8066$6C1.6920@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>,
"cledus" <cleadus@swbell.net> wrote:

> I saw some recent
> announcements where one or both of the CDMA carriers (Verizon/Sprint) are
> going to offer phones that are GSM capable. Could this be a sign that the
> gobal marketplace pull is to great to ignore (forget the arguments about
> which is the superior technology)?

Verizon is planning to do it as its British partner (Vodaphone) that
owns 45% of Verizon Wireless is a GSM provider in the rest of the world,
and would like for a Verizon Wireless phone that would work in Europe.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2004 3:30:07 PM

In article <oPOdnevP8-_GA-XdRVn-gQ@comcast.com>,
"Kev" <Axekick@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
> > In article <_r_dc.8066$6C1.6920@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>,
> > "cledus" <cleadus@swbell.net> wrote:
> >

> > You'd get the full scope of training: One Sentence:
> >
> > "Well, we sell a lot of them".
>
> Not the best example of a great salesman, but a great example of a good
> salesman. He doesn't make money by telling you dorky techy stuff that 99%
> of shoppers wouldn't understand...he makes money by putting one on your
> charge card. Any place that teaches you about technology and teaches you
> how to operate everthing you buy, should charge for that...just like "EE"
> schools do.... :)

Except at Computer City, what they had in stock would widely vary from
week to week. I considered it a high-end remainder store. So what the
salesman would be touting would simmilarly vary from week to week, and
it amazes me that folks would ask a salesperson who as you say is not
trained for a recommendation on their purchase. Salesman will always
recommend

1: What is spiffed versus what is not spiffed.

2: What is in stock versus what they are temporarily out of.

3. The most expensive model they can talk you into.

and Radio Shack is no exception. Anyone who buys batteries there anymore
when they are far cheaper at a Walgreens is throwing money away.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2004 6:58:55 PM

>They told me they
>switched to Sprint because the corp struck a more lucrative deal with
>Sprint. Nothing to do with superior technology

No one but the un-informed said that it was because of superior technology
(although CDMA is a better technology) except the uninformed that were trying
to make a case for - "If Radio Shack sells it is has to be good!" which of
course isn't necessarily true.

--
John S.
a b F Wireless

sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote in message news:<20040411105855.12703.00000116@mb-m24.aol.com>...
> >They told me they
> >switched to Sprint because the corp struck a more lucrative deal with
> >Sprint. Nothing to do with superior technology
>
> No one but the un-informed said that it was because of superior technology
> (although CDMA is a better technology) except the uninformed that were trying
> to make a case for - "If Radio Shack sells it is has to be good!" which of
> course isn't necessarily true.

But, in this case, the OP was making exactly that point- if the
largest retailer of phones (RadioShack) sells it, it must, by
definition, be the best.

Using that logic, McDonald's sells the country's "best" food... ;-)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 12, 2004 6:34:10 AM

> Theer was like 2..maybe 3 models that didn't have analog access...Kinda
> makes my point though...

Not really- Sprint has NO native analog territory. They only have as good a
"nationwide" coverage map as they do because of their roaming partners,
namely Verizon. Which begs the obvious question (that you avoided when I
asked it in another thread) why should anyone choose Sprint rather than just
cut out the middleman and take Verizon? Sprint doesn't have "better"
coverage than VZW- since much of their coverage outside of major metro areas
IS actually Verizon, and they don't have "superior technology"- since they
use the same voice and data technology as Verizon (CDMA). Why do you
consistantly lump the two of them together when you ask these fairly
trolling questions? (Other than the fact that YOU use Sprint, but need to
use the perceived strength of Verizon's network to bolster your arguments!)

> The fact that Sprint and Verizon allow analog access
> along with their own (again superior, can't believe THAT point is even
> challanged)

Believe it. Just because some actor dressed as a geek stands in soundstage
mocked up like a swamp and barks "Can you hear me now" into a prop phone
doesn't make Verizon's coverage "superior". Sure, Verizon has the largest
native US coverage in square miles, but that doesn't necessarily mean that
each market area they operate in has superior coverage to all other carriers
in THAT market. The last two places I've lived, (by coincidence, I'm sure)
Lake Lotawana, MO (a Kansas City suburb) and Ken Carly, CO (a subburb of
Denver) had little or no Verizon coverage. Purely anecdotally (for me)
Verizon has the worst coverage! Let's just say Verizon won't be shooting
any commercials in my subdivision anytime soon.

> ...coverage, makes them more reliable for coverage than gsm could
> ever hope. Period.

Ever here of GAIT? Cingular offers phones that are GSM, TDMA and analog,
with cheaper no-roam (regardless of whether you're on network or off) plans
than Verizon or Sprint. Given those points, the question posed in this
thread perhaps should be "why aren't YOU with Cingular?"
April 12, 2004 4:57:19 PM

rmarkoff@msn.com (Robert M.) wrote:
<<and Radio Shack is no exception. Anyone who buys batteries there
anymore when they are far cheaper at a Walgreens is throwing money away.

Radio Shack is one of the biggest ripoff specialty stores around.
!