Sign in with
Your question

Pc wont install windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
October 30, 2012 11:51:56 PM

So I tried installing windows 8 pro but it keeps getting stuck when it gets to the preparing page when the PC restarts. Then after a few hours my pc turns off and a blue screen says it is reverting to previous version of windows. I am running an hp a6230n with a 500gb hard drive, a asus m2n68-la motherboard, an amd dual core Athlon x2 5600+ 2.8 GHz processor, I have windows 7 home ultimate 64 bit installed, 3gb ddr2 memory, a nvidia 210 graphic card "the on-board mobo graphics adapter is broken", and a lg dvd rw drive. I have the following hooked up, a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, a belkin wifi adapter and a audio out cable. my psu is at 500 watts. When the preparing page is on everything looks distorted, you can barely read anything cause some lines are in the wrong places. Do i need to get a new mobo or gpu or cpu? or is it something i did wrong while downloading. Also the upgrade assistant says "install an app to play dvds, secure boot isn't compatible with your pc, and your screen resolution isnt compatible with snap." :heink: 

More about : wont install windows

a b * Windows 8
November 2, 2012 9:52:57 AM

What the upgrade assistant says is that you don't have a large enough monitor to snap metro apps while running Windows 8 and that you will need to install another program to be able to watch DVDs. I'm not sure about secure boot, though. One question; you mentioned earlier that you had Windows 7 Home Ultimate 64-bit installed. Are you running the Ultimate edition of 7 or Home Basic/Premium?
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:27:56 PM

The Stealthinator said:
What the upgrade assistant says is that you don't have a large enough monitor to snap metro apps while running Windows 8 and that you will need to install another program to be able to watch DVDs. I'm not sure about secure boot, though. One question; you mentioned earlier that you had Windows 7 Home Ultimate 64-bit installed. Are you running the Ultimate edition of 7 or Home Basic/Premium?

Home ultimate. Although I had a SSD that I installed it on with the same pc and it installed just fine. I am thinking that my other hard drive might be defective.
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
November 2, 2012 10:37:39 PM

winterneo said:
Home ultimate. Although I had a SSD that I installed it on with the same pc and it installed just fine. I am thinking that my other hard drive might be defective.

If your hard disk is defective, try reinstalling the graphics drivers. If that doesn't work, run a chkdsk to see if your disk is actually defective
m
l
November 2, 2012 10:48:03 PM

If the AMD motherboard isn't a R2 revision it doesn't support Windows 8.
m
l
November 3, 2012 12:14:34 AM

are you upgrading from windows 7 or fresh install...? if you upgrade from windows 7 64BIT you must using windows 8 64BIT to.
m
l
November 9, 2012 11:44:08 AM

Hi,
Thank you for posting the question. It’s very unfortunate that you are unable to boot the computer to normal mode. I will help you to find a resolution regarding the issue.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
2. What type of installation have you performed? (Upgrade or clean installation of Windows 8)?
3. Do you get any error message when you tried to boot the computer?
4. Do you get any black screen?
Boot using Windows 8 Installation disk and perform startup repair.

b. Insert the disk into DVD drive and restart the computer.

c. Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.
d. Once the Windows Setup window appears click Next.

e. Click on Repair your computer.

f. Click on Troubleshoot and then select Advanced Options.

g. Click on Automatic repair.

h. Follow the on-screen instructions and finish the repair.

Hope this information helps and reply back with the status so that we could help you further.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 11, 2012 5:48:04 PM

Look at the setup log and setup error log and find out why the program gave up.
if the upgrade failed the log should be in

C:\user\YourUserName\appdata\local\micorosft\WebSetup\panther\setupact.log

and setuperr.log

If the setup passed and you still had errors the log would be in your
windows.old\user\YourUserName\appdata\local\micorosft\WebSetup\panther\setupact.log
directory
m
l
November 17, 2012 11:03:31 PM

johnbl said:
Look at the setup log and setup error log and find out why the program gave up.
if the upgrade failed the log should be in

C:\user\YourUserName\appdata\local\micorosft\WebSetup\panther\setupact.log

and setuperr.log

If the setup passed and you still had errors the log would be in your
windows.old\user\YourUserName\appdata\local\micorosft\WebSetup\panther\setupact.log
directory

I actually figured out a while ago that something was wrong with my old hard drive. I put in a SSD and windows installed fine.
m
l
!