FAX Problems

I do not have a long distance carrier, so I use a long
distance card. I have tried using the dialing rules as a
workaround to dialing the digits that I need to enter; ie
card telephone #, PIN # and FAX telephone without any
success.

I tried using the "calling card option" which requires
that I log in as a user to the FAX service. When I try
to log in, then stop the service to initialize it, it
gives me an "error 1069" when I try to restart the FAX
service. I even tried logging on as an Administrator
without success. All the knowledge based information
covers this problem for Windows 2000 with references to
policies and rights which does not apply to Windows XP.

1. Any suggestions to fix this logon situation or a
workaround using the dialing rules option?

2. Is there a way using the dialing rules to pause the
dialing process for a specific amount of time similar to
the calling card options? I tried inserting commas which
did not work.
3 answers Last reply
More about problems

    You're out of luck. Windows XP Fax no longer permits the logon account to be
    changed so you can use Calling Card information.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Richard Head" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I do not have a long distance carrier, so I use a long
    > distance card. I have tried using the dialing rules as a
    > workaround to dialing the digits that I need to enter; ie
    > card telephone #, PIN # and FAX telephone without any
    > success.
    >
    > I tried using the "calling card option" which requires
    > that I log in as a user to the FAX service. When I try
    > to log in, then stop the service to initialize it, it
    > gives me an "error 1069" when I try to restart the FAX
    > service. I even tried logging on as an Administrator
    > without success. All the knowledge based information
    > covers this problem for Windows 2000 with references to
    > policies and rights which does not apply to Windows XP.
    >
    > 1. Any suggestions to fix this logon situation or a
    > workaround using the dialing rules option?
    >
    > 2. Is there a way using the dialing rules to pause the
    > dialing process for a specific amount of time similar to
    > the calling card options? I tried inserting commas which
    > did not work.

    I am suffering from the same problem. There seems to be
    no indication that a calling card is to be used for a
    transmission even though calling card profiles can be
    made. This seems stupid, as if there is a path missing in
    the dialing rules. I would expect an "if this area code"
    then "use calling card profile" or some similar
    connectivity.

    I wonder if SP2 will solve this problem.

    Russ,

    You're right! It is stupid to include features that
    cannot be used. It would probably be OK if the features
    were grayed out indicating that they are not available.
    SP2 fixes to solve this problem, I hope so, but I doubt
    it. I happen to like Microsoft, but some of their
    programs are not very intuitive and lack a good help menu.

    I finally did a workaround by downloading a FAX shareware
    called "Mighty Fax." I was then able to send my long
    distance FAX. Mighty Fax expires in 30 days and then
    requires a fee of $30. The help menu was excellent and
    it gave me the insight on how to workaround the Microsoft
    FAX problem.

    I then did a test on the Microsoft FAX and it worked.
    Under general "dialing rules" in the "to access an
    outside line for long distance calls" box, use one very
    long prefix:

    <calling card telephone #>,,,,,,,,<1 (for English, if
    required>,,<PIN>,,

    Each comma shown gives a 2 second delay, to allow for the
    required delays when calling in. You may have to adjust
    the commas until you get the proper delay. Also, I
    listened to my speakerphone during this procedure. It
    really helped in setting up the FAX prefix.

    Also, if the FAX telephone number fails, and the calling
    card message says that was an invalid telephone number,
    it may still be possible to recover (if the modem doesn't
    time out) by quickly dialing the FAX number manually on
    the telephone keypad.

    I wish everyone could use email, but some companies do
    not have secure incoming servers and prefer to use the
    outmoded FAX.

Internet Explorer Fax Windows XP