help the new guy .. he looks lost

paranoid

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
this is what I was going to go with:
1.4 Thunderbird
asus a7m266 ddr sdram motherboard
global win wbk38 fan = making the most noise
pc-60 lian li aluminum case - 2 adjustable fans front, one back ( quiet)
Enermax 300 w p/s
asus v7700 gts geforce2 card..upgrade that when I have the coin
blah blah blah .. and a headache

I am new to pc's again.. I have not bought a new one in years so I am not the latest and greatest up on doing freaky stuff.. I just want to reduce the noise. I go to some places and their 1.4 make no noise while other places sound like a jet engine. I am not planing on doing any freaky messing with my pc to make it go faster... give me time to learn. I just want less noise, some have suggested volcano 5 but I am open to anything that I can get without too much problems. Would the 1.3 be a lot cooler ?, and does anyone know if the new palamino for desktop will be designed to site on the same slot at the thunderbirds ? You guys who overclock should have Phd's in cooling so I am asking you.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by paranoid on 08/30/01 07:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ok,
Caase fans are deaed easy to replace, and in your case (no pun intended...) you may be able to do away with one of the front case fans, and replace the other case fans with quieter ones, the cpu fan could also be replaced. What I would do, is open the case and try to determind which fan (s) are loud and go from there, you can safely disconenct case fans (maybe disconnect them all, put case back on and see how much quieter it is- but connect them back up after)- DONT disconnect the cpu fan, you can stop it for a couple of seconds with your finger to see if this is the one thats causing the noise.
or you could watercool it like <A HREF="http://www.calvsplace.cwc.net" target="_new">I did here </A>

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

your watercooler looks good..really good...
but for me i need something a little more practical..mabye something that i can mount inside my case...while still keeping my case all closed up...
those temps really dont gimme all the hey those temps rock attitude to take the side of my case off and hook a big cooler up to it...
but i guess its whatever suits ya..kickass job though..mad props

<font color=red>"You might as well fall flat on your face as lean over to far backwards" - James Thurber</font color=red>