NEED HELP!!Which Unit/Units to get?? PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a Dell Inspirion 8300 and am computer "challenged".
I need to get : ink-jet printer using Dura Brite inks, scanner ( that can
scan 3-D jewelry and also pages out of large books), copier, fax ( direct to
computer.....I), a media slot for the Sony CYbershot photo card....
If you could have anything you wanted, which unit or combination of units
would you get. Then, what unit or combo of units would you get if you had a
budget of about$500-600?? maximum???
( Someone suggested the Epson CX6400, but will the be able to fax, also... -
using my computer?? ).
I am so confused and really need some help...I appreciate all of your help
...and look forward to hearing from..somebody....
--
Thank you ,,,,, Rickie Beth

Hello, This is ME again,..in addition - I want to be able to print all sorts
of things, like heavy paper, transparencies, business cards etc.....Sorry
that I forgot to put this in my question below...

"Rickie Beth" wrote:

> I have a Dell Inspirion 8300 and am computer "challenged".
> I need to get : ink-jet printer using Dura Brite inks, scanner ( that can
> scan 3-D jewelry and also pages out of large books), copier, fax ( direct to
> computer.....I), a media slot for the Sony CYbershot photo card....
> If you could have anything you wanted, which unit or combination of units
> would you get. Then, what unit or combo of units would you get if you had a
> budget of about$500-600?? maximum???
> ( Someone suggested the Epson CX6400, but will the be able to fax, also... -
> using my computer?? ).
> I am so confused and really need some help...I appreciate all of your help
> ..and look forward to hearing from..somebody....
> --
> Thank you ,,,,, Rickie Beth

What follows is my view. Not everyone would agree.

I do not think you will be able to get everything you want in one
product unless certain compromises are acceptable for your use.

There are a large number of products that are all-in-one with fax,
scanner, printer and copier (a combination of the scan and print)
functions. Some of these are based on ink-jet printing technology while
others use xerography ("laser") for printing. Of these, the
xerography-based give the highest quality print-outs and copies.
However, ink-jet models can give very good results. Laser-based
solutions bring higher purchase prices; however, if you take the cost of
supplies into account, such machines might be cheaper to operate in your
usage environment and so justify the higher initial cost.

My main concern with your described needs is the 3-D copying. And how
large a book would you want to copy? Large-bed machines are more
expensive.

True 3D copiers are not available in all-in-ones. And they are quite
expensive; their prices start at about $30,000, zip through $25000 USD
and race far beyond.

It is possible that the scanner in an all-in-one will suffice. The only
way to tell is to try one. e.g. For insurance future proof-of-loss
purposes, a camera would be better whether a digital or a film camera (+
scanner).

3d scanners:
http://vr.isdale.com/3DScanners/3DScannerCompanies.html

For archive-quality ink, you will have to pay particular attention to
the specifications. Certain Epson printers have available DuraBrite ink
cartridges, specifically. For such use, also be sure to use the correct
low-acid paper for printing.

There are a wide variety of models to check. To optimize the printing,
scanner, copier function you might have to get the fax function as a
separate fax/modem card. (If you are on cable or ADSL or other broadband
internet connection, the modem part can be ignored but there are no
just-fax cards.)

Just as a starting point, have a look at the HP, Canon and Epson web
pages.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF02a/18972-238444-410635.html
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=105
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-8182

To answer your question more explicitly, for low volume use, I would get
a HP Photosmart (unit with scanner, primer, copier plus card reader).
For fax, a fax/modem card. It would provide very good quality and cost
effective in my view. Note: this is not a large-bed unit so copying of
large book pages cannot be done in one pass.

Good luck.

Tom
MSMVP-DTS

"Rickie Beth" <RickieBeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]
: --
: Thank you ,,,,, Rickie Beth

"Thomas Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote in message
> What follows is my view. Not everyone would agree.
>
> I do not think you will be able to get everything you want in one
> product unless certain compromises are acceptable for your use.
>
> There are a large number of products that are all-in-one with fax,
> scanner, printer and copier (a combination of the scan and print)
> functions. Some of these are based on ink-jet printing technology while
> others use xerography ("laser") for printing. Of these, the
> xerography-based give the highest quality print-outs and copies.
> However, ink-jet models can give very good results. Laser-based
> solutions bring higher purchase prices; however, if you take the cost of
> supplies into account, such machines might be cheaper to operate in your
> usage environment and so justify the higher initial cost.
>

> My main concern with your described needs is the 3-D copying. And how
> large a book would you want to copy? Large-bed machines are more
> expensive.
>
> True 3D copiers are not available in all-in-ones. And they are quite
> expensive; their prices start at about $30,000, zip through $25000 USD
> and race far beyond.
>
> It is possible that the scanner in an all-in-one will suffice. The only
> way to tell is to try one. e.g. For insurance future proof-of-loss
> purposes, a camera would be better whether a digital or a film camera (+
> scanner).
>
> 3d scanners:
> http://vr.isdale.com/3DScanners/3DScannerCompanies.html
>
> For archive-quality ink, you will have to pay particular attention to
> the specifications. Certain Epson printers have available DuraBrite ink
> cartridges, specifically. For such use, also be sure to use the correct
> low-acid paper for printing.
>

> There are a wide variety of models to check. To optimize the printing,
> scanner, copier function you might have to get the fax function as a
> separate fax/modem card. (If you are on cable or ADSL or other broadband
> internet connection, the modem part can be ignored but there are no
> just-fax cards.)
>
> Just as a starting point, have a look at the HP, Canon and Epson web
> pages.
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF02a/18972-238444-410635.html
> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=105
> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-8182
>
> To answer your question more explicitly, for low volume use, I would get
> a HP Photosmart (unit with scanner, primer, copier plus card reader).
> For fax, a fax/modem card. It would provide very good quality and cost
> effective in my view. Note: this is not a large-bed unit so copying of
> large book pages cannot be done in one pass.
>

> Good luck.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP-DTS

This is all good advice. I would not buy anything without actually trying
it out and actually being convinced that it would work in the way that I
wanted This is why computer stores exist. You may want to look into a
consultant
to help you who is familiar with the field, since you seem to have little
experience with computers and your needs are a little different than
is usual.

As an aside, I have noticed that Epson printers seem to have fewer posts
about problems on this newsgroup than other printers and that many
photographic
types seem to swear by them. And HP printers seem have the most posts.
Possibly
because there are more of them.

Dick Kistler

Actually statistically there are fewest posts about Canon printers and most
about Lexmarks - that would be over about a 30 month period!

In terms of who sells the most. I believe that is definately HP with
Lexmark coming in next because the initial purchase is so cheap.

The best advice is to do research first, then go to the Ssore and look at
the results on your potential choices, and then check prices on ink refills.
An interesting article on the real cost can be found at:
www.coribright.com