2 of my computers wont boot up, they just Beep!

arkan

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
About two days ago an old AMD 200Mhz computer I have, would not boot up, the speaker just beeps, no picture, no nothing.
Then today I switched on my main computer (PII 350) and it will not boot up either, it just makes a long beep followed by three quick beeps, no picture on monitor, nothing happens. Nothing was changed or touched, I switched it off last night then turned it on this morning, getting this problem.
The PII 350 was connected to the internet via a cable modem and the old AMD was sharing this internet conection could this be a virus?.
WTF is going on??????

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Was there a storm or anything?

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!

arkan

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
There was no storm, the AMD stopped working a couple of days before the PII350, and both power supplies work.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Try cleaning both systems, reseating everything and swapping parts between as most you can. Also try clearing the bios to see if that alleviates any problems.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!

Definitely sounds like a Video adapter problem.

First check you have a monitor LED. If not, check the power cable & fuse. Next check the VGA cable. Next make sure your brightness control is not to blame (believe me, it happens). Next make sure your gfx card and mem chips are seated correctly. Failing all this just check everything! All peripheral cables, all internal cables. After that its either your CMOS battery or a fault component.

<b> :smile: <font color=blue>They changed the sig of the week!</font color=blue> :smile: </b>

arkan

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Ok I have found out that my graphics card is duffed (no display) and also my hard drive does not work to, it basically does nothing theres no sound coming form it at all. I hope my other sound card network card etc is alright.
Why did this happen???, like I said in the evening it was fine, went to turn it on this morning and its all gone to sh*t. : (

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
happened to my friend's modem. could have been some wierd virus I suppose. Most probably an eletrical current too strong swept through and killed weaker parts.

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
Do you have surge protection?

My old mobo was fried because of power loss lasting less then a second (light went off and on and that was it).