Closed

Print Spooler not running/cannot install local printer

My computer was working fine - now for some unknown
reason I cannot print. There are no printers installed.

When I go to Add Printer. I receive the following error
message "Operation Could Not Be Completed".

I followed the knowledgebase resolution steps for this
issue. And still cannot get it to work.

It appears the print spooler is stopped.

Please provide any advice. Thank you.
8 answers Last reply
More about print spooler running cannot install local printer

    Try starting the spooler service:

    Start button -> Run -> Cmd -> type "Net Start Spooler" (without the
    quotes) - now try going to Add Printer.

    If the spooler service cannot be started - the spooler has a dependency that
    was not resolved (started).

    Best Regards,

    Rene Pilon

    info@gx2xs.info
    www.gx2xs.info

    "KK1016" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer was working fine - now for some unknown
    > reason I cannot print. There are no printers installed.
    >
    > When I go to Add Printer. I receive the following error
    > message "Operation Could Not Be Completed".
    >
    > I followed the knowledgebase resolution steps for this
    > issue. And still cannot get it to work.
    >
    > It appears the print spooler is stopped.
    >
    > Please provide any advice. Thank you.

    I too have this problem. Even the fax does not appear in the printer
    section of the control panel. from cmd i got error #1068 dependancy
    group or service failed to start. I also get this message from the
    admin tools>services area of the control panel.
    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 00:31:13 -0400, "Rene Pilon"
    <info@NOSPAMgx2xs.info> wrote:

    >Try starting the spooler service:
    >
    >Start button -> Run -> Cmd -> type "Net Start Spooler" (without the
    >quotes) - now try going to Add Printer.
    >
    >If the spooler service cannot be started - the spooler has a dependency that
    >was not resolved (started).
    >
    >Best Regards,
    >
    >Rene Pilon

    Ah, it's a Lexmark. See Bruce Sanderson's article at

    And pay particular attention to his special section on Lexmark printers....
    steps 15 thru 17.
    www.coribright.com

    "lee mcmindes" <borgbilt@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >I too have this problem. Even the fax does not appear in the printer
    > section of the control panel. from cmd i got error #1068 dependancy
    > group or service failed to start. I also get this message from the
    > admin tools>services area of the control panel.
    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 00:31:13 -0400, "Rene Pilon"
    > <info@NOSPAMgx2xs.info> wrote:
    >
    >>Try starting the spooler service:
    >>
    >>Start button -> Run -> Cmd -> type "Net Start Spooler" (without the
    >>quotes) - now try going to Add Printer.
    >>
    >>If the spooler service cannot be started - the spooler has a dependency
    >>that
    >>was not resolved (started).
    >>
    >>Best Regards,
    >>
    >>Rene Pilon

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:47:20 -0700, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)"
    <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

    >Ah, it's a Lexmark. See Bruce Sanderson's article at
    >http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    >
    >And pay particular attention to his special section on Lexmark printers....
    >steps 15 thru 17.
    going back to the beginning(1-17). step one= there are no printers
    (not even fax) in this section. clean spool leads me to this
    unexpected result= clean spooler>select>browse for computers(here I
    usually jput my computers name but this time I wanted to see what was
    the 'select' way of doing it) >My Network Places>Entire
    Network>Micorsoft Windows Network>Lazygroup>NOT accessable. you might
    not have permission to use this network resource.
    Does this mean someone has gotten into my system(i did this from
    administrator, not my account with admin privilidges)?

    back to clean spool, i entered my computers name choose not to delete
    any of the options thyat popped up. when clean spool was finished a
    message saying spool could not start because sevjice is marked for
    deletion.
    what's up with that?

    Reboot the PC.

    > going back to the beginning(1-17). step one= there are no printers
    > (not even fax) in this section. clean spool leads me to this
    > unexpected result= clean spooler>select>browse for computers(here I
    > usually jput my computers name but this time I wanted to see what was
    > the 'select' way of doing it) >My Network Places>Entire
    > Network>Micorsoft Windows Network>Lazygroup>NOT accessable. you might
    > not have permission to use this network resource.
    > Does this mean someone has gotten into my system(i did this from
    > administrator, not my account with admin privilidges)?
    >
    > back to clean spool, i entered my computers name choose not to delete
    > any of the options thyat popped up. when clean spool was finished a
    > message saying spool could not start because sevjice is marked for
    > deletion.
    > what's up with that?

    after two alnighters i decided to follow the DIRECTIONS exactly as
    written, noting my computers response to each action.
    I am pleased to say that the response to step 17 was= Print Spool
    Service was started successfully. The biggest obstacle seems to be
    the loose nut behind the keyboard.
    Thanks for the help, ya'all
    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:06:03 -0700, "Cari \(MS MVP\)"
    <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

    >Reboot the PC.

    PS I have a hp printer i want to install. Is it safe to do so now?
    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:06:03 -0700, "Cari \(MS MVP\)"
    <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

    >Reboot the PC.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Yes!

    > PS I have a hp printer i want to install. Is it safe to do so now?
    > On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:06:03 -0700, "Cari \(MS MVP\)"
    > <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Reboot the PC.

Print Spooler Printers Windows XP