Connecting a Fax device

August 23, 2004 5:35:04 AM

I can follow the instructions for installing and configuring the Fax device
but can find no information on how to physically connect the Fax to the
Computer.

I am assuming that it is necessary to connect a cable between the two and
that the appropriate 'port' on the computer is the modem connecting jack? Is
this correct please?

More about : connecting fax device

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 8:53:45 AM

What are you trying to connect? Fax uses your modem, not a separate device.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Stephen Marks" <Stephen Marks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can follow the instructions for installing and configuring the Fax device
> but can find no information on how to physically connect the Fax to the
> Computer.
>
> I am assuming that it is necessary to connect a cable between the two and
> that the appropriate 'port' on the computer is the modem connecting jack?
> Is
> this correct please?
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 12:14:08 PM

Thank you for the reply Russ.

I've a Broadband connection which is set up so that there is the link
between my incoming telephone line and the modem. The modem then connects to
the computer via a USB.

I'm trying to connect a Canon Fax - B160 to the computer if it is possible.
On the Fax machine there are 3 possible connection points, viz:

1 for the connection from the telephone which I have directly connected;
2 for the optional handset which I also have connected;
3 for an extension telephone or answering machine.

Does this give sufficient information?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> What are you trying to connect? Fax uses your modem, not a separate device.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Stephen Marks" <Stephen Marks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can follow the instructions for installing and configuring the Fax device
> > but can find no information on how to physically connect the Fax to the
> > Computer.
> >
> > I am assuming that it is necessary to connect a cable between the two and
> > that the appropriate 'port' on the computer is the modem connecting jack?
> > Is
> > this correct please?

August 23, 2004 2:45:21 PM

Why in God's name are you trying to connect a fax machine
to a computer??? If you have an analog fax modem that's
compatible with XP, and connected to the (analog) phone
line, you can send and receive faxes with the XP fax
service. The question you're asking is the equivalent of,
"Why can't I connect my washing machine to my computer?"
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 5:31:06 PM

Please take this slowly for me!!!

What the h*** is an 'analog fax modem'? As I said earlier I have a
Broadband (ADSL) connection to the telephone line. This is the Internet
connection. If I am following what you are saying, then I should have an
external piece of equipment (analog fax) connected. I do not. That is why I
am asking if I can connect my 'washing machine' to the modem.

Help would be appreciated.

"Wislu Plethora" wrote:

> [...]
August 23, 2004 9:04:30 PM

Stephen Marks wrote:

> Please take this slowly for me!!!
>
> What the h*** is an 'analog fax modem'? As I said earlier I have a
> Broadband (ADSL) connection to the telephone line. This is the Internet
> connection. If I am following what you are saying, then I should have an
> external piece of equipment (analog fax) connected. I do not. That is why I
> am asking if I can connect my 'washing machine' to the modem.
>
> Help would be appreciated.
>
> "Wislu Plethora" wrote:

In order to send faxes from your computer you must have a regular,
everyday phone line (not a DSL line) and a modem either in your computer
or attached to it that connects the computer to the phone line.

You apparently have a dedicated fax machine which, if it's going to
work, must also be attached to the aforementioned (regular, not DSL)
phone line. There is no way to attach the fax machine to your computer,
nor is there any reason to do so that I can think of.

Given the above information, perhaps if tell us exactly what you're
trying to accomplish, we can offer some guidance.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:15:02 AM

I want to use the fax facilities on my computer rather than my stand alone fax.

As you will have gathered I'm very much a novice so far as the computer is
concerned and so need to be led by the hand to achieve my desired outcome.

There is a built in modem with the computer although I've never had cause to
use it. Instead I've got Broadband which comes with its own external modem.
From what you are saying then I wont be able to use the fax facility via this
Broadband modem. However I still have the ability to use the computers own
modem I guess.

What I can't get my head around is how does the computer replicate a fax?
To be blunt there's nowhere to feed in the papers I might wish to copy and
send. My printer will be able to receive incoming faxes but what happens to
outgoing ones?

When I track down faxes via Control Panel I can see that I've got two faxes
there. Presumably I should delete these and start again and
re-install/configure from scratch?

Advice will be appreciated. If it helps, my email address is
stephenrmarks@btinternet.com

"Herb Fritatta" wrote:

> Stephen Marks wrote:
>
> > Please take this slowly for me!!!
> >
> > What the h*** is an 'analog fax modem'? As I said earlier I have a
> > Broadband (ADSL) connection to the telephone line. This is the Internet
> > connection. If I am following what you are saying, then I should have an
> > external piece of equipment (analog fax) connected. I do not. That is why I
> > am asking if I can connect my 'washing machine' to the modem.
> >
> > Help would be appreciated.

August 24, 2004 9:23:02 AM

fax facility via this
>Broadband modem. However I still have the ability to use
the computers own
>modem I guess.
>
>What I can't get my head around is how does the computer
replicate a fax?
>To be blunt there's nowhere to feed in the papers I might
wish to copy and
>send. My printer will be able to receive incoming faxes
but what happens to
>outgoing ones?
>
>When I track down faxes via Control Panel I can see that
I've got two faxes
>there. Presumably I should delete these and start again
and
>re-install/configure from scratch?
>
>Advice will be appreciated. If it helps, my email
address is
>stephenrmarks@btinternet.com

To add to what Russ's advice, after you review the links
he provided you should be able to initialize a fax printer
which is a virtual device that will allow you to send
faxes directly from MS Word and many other applications.
Thus you are not limited to just what can be scanned into
you computer.

Just out of curiousity, if your goal was to use MS fax
instead of the dedicated fax machine, why were you
initially trying to connect the fax machine to the
computer? If it was because it was the only way you could
think of that would allow you to fax paper documents, what
made you think the computer would help?
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 9:29:01 AM

PC Faxing uses analog phone lines and the analog fax modem in your computer:
nothing else. You can only Fax documents that reside on your computer. If
you want to fax another document, you would first have to scan it into your
computer.
Read about faxing:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306550
HOW TO: Enable and Configure the Fax Service in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306657
HOW TO: Send a Fax in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306661
HOW TO: Fax a Document from a Windows Program in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306662
HOW TO: Receive a Fax in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306663
HOW TO: Fax a Scanned Document or Image in Windows XP
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/winxpfax.htm
Windows XP Fax

--
>I want to use the fax facilities on my computer rather than my stand alone
>fax.
>
> As you will have gathered I'm very much a novice so far as the computer is
> concerned and so need to be led by the hand to achieve my desired outcome.
>
> There is a built in modem with the computer although I've never had cause
> use it. Instead I've got Broadband which comes with its own external
> modem.
> From what you are saying then I wont be able to use the fax facility via
> this
> Broadband modem. However I still have the ability to use the computers
> own
> modem I guess.
>
> What I can't get my head around is how does the computer replicate a fax?
> To be blunt there's nowhere to feed in the papers I might wish to copy and
> send. My printer will be able to receive incoming faxes but what happens
> outgoing ones?
>
> When I track down faxes via Control Panel I can see that I've got two
> faxes
> there. Presumably I should delete these and start again and
> re-install/configure from scratch?
>
> Advice will be appreciated. If it helps, my email address is
> stephenrmarks@btinternet.com
>
> "Herb Fritatta" wrote:
>
>> Stephen Marks wrote:
>>
>> > Please take this slowly for me!!!
>> >
>> > What the h*** is an 'analog fax modem'? As I said earlier I have a
>> > Broadband (ADSL) connection to the telephone line. This is the
>> > Internet
>> > connection. If I am following what you are saying, then I should have
>> > an
>> > external piece of equipment (analog fax) connected. I do not. That is
>> > why I
>> > am asking if I can connect my 'washing machine' to the modem.
>> >
>> > Help would be appreciated.

August 25, 2004 10:02:18 PM

Lighten up on the poor guy, he's computer iliterate. Did you come out of
your mothers ass knowing everything?

"Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
August 25, 2004 11:36:49 PM

Let's be careful not to confuse the genitourinary system with the
gastrointestinal system. They are completely unrelated products supported in
different newsgroups.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Victor D." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Lighten up on the poor guy, he's computer iliterate. Did you come out of
> your mothers ass knowing everything?
>
> "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 2:12:07 AM

Good one, Russ! :-)

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

> Let's be careful not to confuse the genitourinary system with the
> gastrointestinal system. They are completely unrelated products supported
in
> different newsgroups.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Victor D." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Lighten up on the poor guy, he's computer iliterate. Did you come out
of
> > your mothers ass knowing everything?
> >
> > "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 11:15:18 PM

Pisslu Plethora is a well-known newsgroup parasite with nothing useful to
contribute.

"Victor D." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Lighten up on the poor guy, he's computer iliterate. Did you come out of
> your mothers ass knowing everything?
>
> "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 3:33:58 PM

Yeah, I know, I see it [Pisslu] here all the time giving people that are
novices with computers a slap in the face hard. Tearing them up like
there's no tommorrow. Pisslu must be carrying around alot of guilt and
shame.

!