Connecting a Fax device

I can follow the instructions for installing and configuring the Fax device
but can find no information on how to physically connect the Fax to the
Computer.

I am assuming that it is necessary to connect a cable between the two and
that the appropriate 'port' on the computer is the modem connecting jack? Is
this correct please?
13 answers Last reply
More about connecting device

    What are you trying to connect? Fax uses your modem, not a separate device.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Stephen Marks" <Stephen Marks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can follow the instructions for installing and configuring the Fax device
    > but can find no information on how to physically connect the Fax to the
    > Computer.
    >
    > I am assuming that it is necessary to connect a cable between the two and
    > that the appropriate 'port' on the computer is the modem connecting jack?
    > Is
    > this correct please?

    Thank you for the reply Russ.

    I've a Broadband connection which is set up so that there is the link
    between my incoming telephone line and the modem. The modem then connects to
    the computer via a USB.

    I'm trying to connect a Canon Fax - B160 to the computer if it is possible.
    On the Fax machine there are 3 possible connection points, viz:

    1 for the connection from the telephone which I have directly connected;
    2 for the optional handset which I also have connected;
    3 for an extension telephone or answering machine.

    Does this give sufficient information?

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > What are you trying to connect? Fax uses your modem, not a separate device.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Stephen Marks" <Stephen Marks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I can follow the instructions for installing and configuring the Fax device
    > > but can find no information on how to physically connect the Fax to the
    > > Computer.
    > >
    > > I am assuming that it is necessary to connect a cable between the two and
    > > that the appropriate 'port' on the computer is the modem connecting jack?
    > > Is
    > > this correct please?

    Why in God's name are you trying to connect a fax machine
    to a computer??? If you have an analog fax modem that's
    compatible with XP, and connected to the (analog) phone
    line, you can send and receive faxes with the XP fax
    service. The question you're asking is the equivalent of,
    "Why can't I connect my washing machine to my computer?"

    Please take this slowly for me!!!

    What the h*** is an 'analog fax modem'? As I said earlier I have a
    Broadband (ADSL) connection to the telephone line. This is the Internet
    connection. If I am following what you are saying, then I should have an
    external piece of equipment (analog fax) connected. I do not. That is why I
    am asking if I can connect my 'washing machine' to the modem.

    Help would be appreciated.

    Stephen Marks wrote:

    > Please take this slowly for me!!!
    >
    > What the h*** is an 'analog fax modem'? As I said earlier I have a
    > Broadband (ADSL) connection to the telephone line. This is the Internet
    > connection. If I am following what you are saying, then I should have an
    > external piece of equipment (analog fax) connected. I do not. That is why I
    > am asking if I can connect my 'washing machine' to the modem.
    >
    > Help would be appreciated.
    >
    > "Wislu Plethora" wrote:

    In order to send faxes from your computer you must have a regular,
    everyday phone line (not a DSL line) and a modem either in your computer
    or attached to it that connects the computer to the phone line.

    You apparently have a dedicated fax machine which, if it's going to
    work, must also be attached to the aforementioned (regular, not DSL)
    phone line. There is no way to attach the fax machine to your computer,
    nor is there any reason to do so that I can think of.

    Given the above information, perhaps if tell us exactly what you're
    trying to accomplish, we can offer some guidance.

    I want to use the fax facilities on my computer rather than my stand alone fax.

    As you will have gathered I'm very much a novice so far as the computer is
    concerned and so need to be led by the hand to achieve my desired outcome.

    There is a built in modem with the computer although I've never had cause to
    use it. Instead I've got Broadband which comes with its own external modem.
    From what you are saying then I wont be able to use the fax facility via this
    Broadband modem. However I still have the ability to use the computers own
    modem I guess.

    What I can't get my head around is how does the computer replicate a fax?
    To be blunt there's nowhere to feed in the papers I might wish to copy and
    send. My printer will be able to receive incoming faxes but what happens to
    outgoing ones?

    When I track down faxes via Control Panel I can see that I've got two faxes
    there. Presumably I should delete these and start again and
    re-install/configure from scratch?

    Advice will be appreciated. If it helps, my email address is
    stephenrmarks@btinternet.com

    "Herb Fritatta" wrote:

    > Stephen Marks wrote:
    >
    > > Please take this slowly for me!!!
    > >
    > > What the h*** is an 'analog fax modem'? As I said earlier I have a
    > > Broadband (ADSL) connection to the telephone line. This is the Internet
    > > connection. If I am following what you are saying, then I should have an
    > > external piece of equipment (analog fax) connected. I do not. That is why I
    > > am asking if I can connect my 'washing machine' to the modem.
    > >
    > > Help would be appreciated.

    To add to what Russ's advice, after you review the links
    he provided you should be able to initialize a fax printer
    which is a virtual device that will allow you to send
    faxes directly from MS Word and many other applications.
    Thus you are not limited to just what can be scanned into
    you computer.

    Just out of curiousity, if your goal was to use MS fax
    instead of the dedicated fax machine, why were you
    initially trying to connect the fax machine to the
    computer? If it was because it was the only way you could
    think of that would allow you to fax paper documents, what
    made you think the computer would help?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    PC Faxing uses analog phone lines and the analog fax modem in your computer:
    nothing else. You can only Fax documents that reside on your computer. If
    you want to fax another document, you would first have to scan it into your
    computer.
    Read about faxing:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306550
    HOW TO: Enable and Configure the Fax Service in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306657
    HOW TO: Send a Fax in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306661
    HOW TO: Fax a Document from a Windows Program in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306662
    HOW TO: Receive a Fax in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306663
    HOW TO: Fax a Scanned Document or Image in Windows XP
    http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/winxpfax.htm
    Windows XP Fax

    --
    >I want to use the fax facilities on my computer rather than my stand alone
    >fax.
    >
    > As you will have gathered I'm very much a novice so far as the computer is
    > concerned and so need to be led by the hand to achieve my desired outcome.
    >
    > There is a built in modem with the computer although I've never had cause
    > use it. Instead I've got Broadband which comes with its own external
    > modem.
    > From what you are saying then I wont be able to use the fax facility via
    > this
    > Broadband modem. However I still have the ability to use the computers
    > own
    > modem I guess.
    >
    > What I can't get my head around is how does the computer replicate a fax?
    > To be blunt there's nowhere to feed in the papers I might wish to copy and
    > send. My printer will be able to receive incoming faxes but what happens
    > outgoing ones?
    >
    > When I track down faxes via Control Panel I can see that I've got two
    > faxes
    > there. Presumably I should delete these and start again and
    > re-install/configure from scratch?
    >
    > Advice will be appreciated. If it helps, my email address is
    > stephenrmarks@btinternet.com
    >
    > "Herb Fritatta" wrote:
    >
    >> Stephen Marks wrote:
    >>
    >> > Please take this slowly for me!!!
    >> >
    >> > What the h*** is an 'analog fax modem'? As I said earlier I have a
    >> > Broadband (ADSL) connection to the telephone line. This is the
    >> > Internet
    >> > connection. If I am following what you are saying, then I should have
    >> > an
    >> > external piece of equipment (analog fax) connected. I do not. That is
    >> > why I
    >> > am asking if I can connect my 'washing machine' to the modem.
    >> >
    >> > Help would be appreciated.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Lighten up on the poor guy, he's computer iliterate. Did you come out of
    your mothers ass knowing everything?

    "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Let's be careful not to confuse the genitourinary system with the
    gastrointestinal system. They are completely unrelated products supported in
    different newsgroups.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Victor D." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Lighten up on the poor guy, he's computer iliterate. Did you come out of
    > your mothers ass knowing everything?
    >
    > "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Good one, Russ! :-)

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    > Let's be careful not to confuse the genitourinary system with the
    > gastrointestinal system. They are completely unrelated products supported
    in
    > different newsgroups.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Victor D." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Lighten up on the poor guy, he's computer iliterate. Did you come out
    of
    > > your mothers ass knowing everything?
    > >
    > > "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Pisslu Plethora is a well-known newsgroup parasite with nothing useful to
    contribute.

    "Victor D." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Lighten up on the poor guy, he's computer iliterate. Did you come out of
    > your mothers ass knowing everything?
    >
    > "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Yeah, I know, I see it [Pisslu] here all the time giving people that are
    novices with computers a slap in the face hard. Tearing them up like
    there's no tommorrow. Pisslu must be carrying around alot of guilt and
    shame.

    "Box134" <box134@wooky.invalid> wrote in message
    > Pisslu Plethora is a well-known newsgroup parasite with nothing useful to
    > contribute.
    >
    > "Victor D." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Lighten up on the poor guy, he's computer iliterate. Did you come out
    of
    > > your mothers ass knowing everything?
    > >
    > > "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Fax Connection Devices Windows XP