Athlon 900 showing high CPU usage

Kent

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I was running hot(see Athlon 900 and Asus A7V133 post) and also noticed my CPU usage always indicated my CPU was at about 40% usage. It does fluctuate but remains high when it should not be and if I just move my mouse around it drops down to near 0. I have determined this by using 3 different CPU usage monitors and they all show the same results. It's as if there's a program running that gets out of the way when something else requests the processor but I have nothing , to the best of my knowledge, which could be doing that. Does anybody have any suggestions at all ? I can't help but think that this is also contributing to it running so hot. P.S. - I've also just discovered that when in Safe Mode under Device Mgr.>Properties I'm being notified that my floppy and 'C'drive are using MS-DOS compatibility mode yet in normal mode the Properties box gives no indication of this. Could these things have anything to with each other ?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
noticed my CPU usage always indicated my CPU was at about 40% usage.
Check to see if there is any program that runs background. Type <b>MSCONFIG</b> at <b>Run</b> command will give a list of programs that run when starting up Windows (in Win98 or Win ME).
I've also just discovered that when in Safe Mode under Device Mgr.>Properties I'm being notified that my floppy and 'C'drive are using MS-DOS compatibility mode yet in normal mode the Properties box gives no indication of this. Could these things have anything to with each other ?
You don't have to worry about it.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Simple CPU monitoring software, like Window's own System Monitor, can erroneously report CPU activity when there is none. The problem is ACPI's software CPU cooling function. System Monitor mistakenly detects this as genuine CPU activity.

If you try some better software like TaskInfo2000 you will get better readings of system activity.

Get TaskInfo2000 <A HREF="http://www.iarsn.com/" target="_new">here</A>.

Read a review of Taskinfo2000 <A HREF="http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,52060,00.html" target="_new">here</A>

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.