Nokia 6310i and windows xp fax

drbob

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004

Hello, this is my first post here so please don't be too harsh if this
has been answered before, I did try to check the google archives.

I am attempting to send faxes using the internal fax modem of my Nokia
6310i mobile phone. When I try to send a fax (either via irda or
bluetooth) the phone will dial the number and the line is answered but
with every fax machine tested so far (except one) the call will fail at
the handshaking stage (before "sending fax page x" appears in fax
monitor). It will sucessfully connect and send faxes to my efax
(www.efax.com) number.

The init string that winodws fax uses is ATS7=255&D3 (I checked this in
the registry as per earlier posts to this group) This seems to set the
timeout to 255 and the dtr signal response to "hangup/reset"

I have found a post on google which suggests that the 6310i has problems
with the fax call setup, you can read it here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=40a165bb.12288409%40news.bluewin.ch

but can't be sure that this is the same issue (also I find no other
refence to such a problem either from Nokia or anywhere else on the net).

How would I get a full debug report on the fax transmission? This would
help me track down the problem. I can't seem to find any log info stored
by windows fax.

I am almost at my wits end here, nothing seems to work. If anyone can
offer any help it would be much appreciated.

drbob

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004

drbob wrote:
> Hello, this is my first post here so please don't be too harsh if this
> has been answered before, I did try to check the google archives.
>
> I am attempting to send faxes using the internal fax modem of my Nokia
> 6310i mobile phone. When I try to send a fax (either via irda or
> bluetooth) the phone will dial the number and the line is answered but
> with every fax machine tested so far (except one) the call will fail at
> the handshaking stage (before "sending fax page x" appears in fax
> monitor). It will sucessfully connect and send faxes to my efax
> (www.efax.com) number.
>
> The init string that winodws fax uses is ATS7=255&D3 (I checked this in
> the registry as per earlier posts to this group) This seems to set the
> timeout to 255 and the dtr signal response to "hangup/reset"
>
> I have found a post on google which suggests that the 6310i has problems
> with the fax call setup, you can read it here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=40a165bb.12288409%40news.bluewin.ch
>

> but can't be sure that this is the same issue (also I find no other
> refence to such a problem either from Nokia or anywhere else on the net).
>
> How would I get a full debug report on the fax transmission? This would
> help me track down the problem. I can't seem to find any log info stored
> by windows fax.
>
> I am almost at my wits end here, nothing seems to work. If anyone can
> offer any help it would be much appreciated.

I know something's wrong when I end up replying to my own messages, but...

This is definitely a fax configuration issue, not a hardware issue.
Using a third party fax application (electrasoft 32bit fax) I was able
to send a fax to a line that fails every time with windows xp fax
services. I was using the init string: AT&F&C1&D3&K4S7=255 with the
electrasoft fax application. However using the same string in windows xp
fax didn't work (by changing "SetupCommand" string under
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fax\TAPIDevices\(deviceid)\Modem\.

Does windows xp fax understand fax class 2.0 (not fax class 1 or 2 - the
".0" signifies a different class defined by the itu)? The Electrasoft
app was using that class to send a fax to the line that won't work with
windows xp fax services.

Any additional help much appreciated.

Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
> modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
> they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
> during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
> first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
> an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
> messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
> There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
> might lie.
>
> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

The interface between a computer and a fax modem is acutally fairly
simple. AT commands are sent via a com port and the modem gives a
response. This seems to be the basis upon which windows xp fax works, it
just tries to hide all the "difficult" AT command strings in inf files
and the registry.

My current problem with windows xp fax is that it will work when calling
some fax lines but not with others. Alternative fax software can send
faxes to all tested lines, using the same hardware. If I could access
debug logs I could probably identify the precise issue.

I'll try to switch on debugging, any tips you can give would be
appreciated - I'm not averse to changing the registy - if things go
horribly wrong I can use a restore point or even reinstall windows. If
not it seems I'll simply have to write this off as just another example
of buggy, sub standard software. Oh well.

Provide me with a valid email address and I will send you the instructions.