How long can I game for?

pvm122389

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Hello,

I was just curious as to what are some acceptable video gaming durations for PC gaming. Basically, I just recently got a new PC and between work and having a social life, when I get the chance to game I like to for a while. I'm usually gaming later at night and ideally I'd play for like 3-5 hours if I could but it doesnt usually end up being that long.

I was just uncertain as to how long you can game for on a PC before you should start worrying about the longevity of your components. I have very reasonable CPU and GPU temperatures when I game (obviously I realize if you're getting high temps you shouldnt sit on them for hours).

I want to find the balance between being able to game for long periods of time, but also not working my parts for too long or too hard or whatever.

Am I just being paranoid about my new baby lol? I know next to nothing about this kind of stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Figure my specs could help provide the best answer:
i5-2550k stock 3.4 ghz
EVGA superclock gtx680
16bg corsair vengeance RAM 1600mhz

hairystuff

Distinguished
I have ran gpu assisted rendering for days on end at a time but nothing has happened to any of the systems, I have gamed for 14 hours straight in the past but I wouldn't recommend it, the vulnerable part is always the component between the seat and the keyboard.

adammitchell

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I was always curious about this myself. My PC sounds like a hairdryer sometimes and it makes me wonder if I am pushing it too hard, lol. I probably need to get a better cooling system. If you have one of those, you are pretty much set.

Also, I agree with the above posters - you need to watch the health. Get up and walk around - or if you are really in the middle of something and can't break away, at least do the 20:20 rule - every 20 minutes look at something far away for 20 seconds. It helps!

the most wear a computer gets is when you turn it on and when you turn it off (ie heating up and cooling down) the expansion/contraction is what causes the electronics to age and eventually fail. That said, if your temperatures are in check, there's no reason to deter you from running a game for 30 hours straight. I'd rather advise not to game for long periods of time for health reasons, as hairy stuff very well put it "the vulnerable part is always the component between the seat and the keyboard" ;)