Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

Windows XP, SP1
Using drivers as delivered with XP-SP1

Printers:
Epson C80 connected via USB
HP OfficeJetPro 1150C connected LPT1

Problem:

Whenever I print on the Epson, after it's done, it looks like two (or
more) control characters are sent to the HP printer, which prints a page
containing two characters, a "happy face" and right-pointing triangle.

Following this, the Epson printer is unavailable (any application -
Word, Notepad, Wordpad, etc.) attempting to print to the Epson freezes
with the "now printing" msg displayed. The HP printer can be used, as
can any printer accessible through the network.

If they are available, I haven't been able to find any updated drivers
for either printer.

Any thoughts? All input gratefully appreciated.

BTW - Who created (or is responsible for) the XP printer drivers - the
printer mfrs. all say "drivers are included with XP" and seem to have
wiped their hands of the matter.

- Herb

Uninstall the printer.. then go to this site..

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?cookies=no&oid=14411&infoType=Downloads

Download the XP drivers and install them BEFORE connecting the printer..

Good luck

"Herb" <Herb@the.herb.garden> wrote in message
> Windows XP, SP1
> Using drivers as delivered with XP-SP1
>
> Printers:
> Epson C80 connected via USB
> HP OfficeJetPro 1150C connected LPT1
>
> Problem:
>
> Whenever I print on the Epson, after it's done, it looks like two (or
> more) control characters are sent to the HP printer, which prints a page
> containing two characters, a "happy face" and right-pointing triangle.
>
> Following this, the Epson printer is unavailable (any application - Word,
> Notepad, Wordpad, etc.) attempting to print to the Epson freezes with the
> "now printing" msg displayed. The HP printer can be used, as can any
> printer accessible through the network.
>
> If they are available, I haven't been able to find any updated drivers for
> either printer.
>
> Any thoughts? All input gratefully appreciated.
>
> BTW - Who created (or is responsible for) the XP printer drivers - the
> printer mfrs. all say "drivers are included with XP" and seem to have
> wiped their hands of the matter.
>
> - Herb

Herb

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

Mike -

Thank you! Will try it and report the results.

- Herb

> Mike -
>
> Thank you! Will try it and report the results.
>
> - Herb
>

> Mike Hall wrote:
>> Uninstall the printer.. then go to this site..
>>
>> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?cookies=no&oid=14411&infoType=Downloads
>>
>> Download the XP drivers and install them BEFORE connecting the printer..
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> "Herb" <Herb@the.herb.garden> wrote in message
>>
>>>Windows XP, SP1
>>>Using drivers as delivered with XP-SP1
>>>
>>>Printers:
>>>Epson C80 connected via USB
>>>HP OfficeJetPro 1150C connected LPT1
>>>
>>>Problem:
>>>
>>>Whenever I print on the Epson, after it's done, it looks like two (or
>>>more) control characters are sent to the HP printer, which prints a page
>>>containing two characters, a "happy face" and right-pointing triangle.
>>>
>>>Following this, the Epson printer is unavailable (any application - Word,
>>>Notepad, Wordpad, etc.) attempting to print to the Epson freezes with the
>>>"now printing" msg displayed. The HP printer can be used, as can any
>>>printer accessible through the network.
>>>
>>>If they are available, I haven't been able to find any updated drivers
>>>for either printer.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts? All input gratefully appreciated.
>>>
>>> BTW - Who created (or is responsible for) the XP printer drivers - the
>>> printer mfrs. all say "drivers are included with XP" and seem to have
>>> wiped their hands of the matter.
>>>
>>> - Herb

Herb

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

Mike H wrote:
> Good luck..

:(
After completely un-installing and re-installing with a number of
different sequences and options, the result is the same. If the printer
on LPT1: is on, it gets those ctl chars. sent to it. (If it's not on,
the ctl chars are queued and when it gets turned on, out they come!)

I think it's a bug in the C80 driver that has a hardcoded "lpt1:" buried
somewhere. BTW - the driver on the Epson site is the same as the one
delivered with my original XP/SP1 system.

What I haven't tried is configuring it as a remote network printer -
that way my system could talk to itself at arms length. Just like *I* do.

Thanks again -

- Herb

> "Herb" <Herb@the.herb.garden> wrote in message
>
>>Mike -
>>
>>Thank you! Will try it and report the results.
>>
>> - Herb
>>

>>Mike Hall wrote:
>>
>>>Uninstall the printer.. then go to this site..
>>>
>>>http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?cookies=no&oid=14411&infoType=Downloads
>>>
>>>Download the XP drivers and install them BEFORE connecting the printer..
>>>
>>>Good luck
>>>

>>>"Herb" <Herb@the.herb.garden> wrote in message

So close yet so far! - I have the exact same problem right down to the smiley
face and arrow, except:

- It's an HP Laserjet 1200, it wants to connect via a Dot4_001 port
(same result if I which to lpt1)
- It's an Epson Stylus Photo 1280

Epson just blames HP but HP doesn't care because their printer works!

Did anyone solve this problem?