Fax: No Dial Tone Detected

Hi All,
I'm using Windows Fax in WinXP Home. Lately, I've been receiving the
error "No Dial Tone" when trying to send a fax. This is very odd,
since the modem IS connected to the phone line, and when the fax tries
to initiate, the speakers make an audible dial tone sound. The modem
is a Fax modem, and I've used the program and configuration to send
faxes in the past. Any thoughts?
2 answers Last reply
More about dial tone detected

    Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
    modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
    they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
    during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
    first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
    an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
    messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
    There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
    might lie.

    These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
    enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
    require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
    advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
    on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Nerdy Ned" <nerdyned@connetmunc.org> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I'm using Windows Fax in WinXP Home. Lately, I've been receiving the
    > error "No Dial Tone" when trying to send a fax. This is very odd,
    > since the modem IS connected to the phone line, and when the fax tries
    > to initiate, the speakers make an audible dial tone sound. The modem
    > is a Fax modem, and I've used the program and configuration to send
    > faxes in the past. Any thoughts?

    Can you make sure all latest patches and upgrades are done, and reinstall
    fax once. Also make sure your Modem is still working. Possible that modem
    could have burnt.

    --
    R. Sridharan [MSFT]

    purposes only.'

    "Nerdy Ned" <nerdyned@connetmunc.org> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I'm using Windows Fax in WinXP Home. Lately, I've been receiving the
    > error "No Dial Tone" when trying to send a fax. This is very odd,
    > since the modem IS connected to the phone line, and when the fax tries
    > to initiate, the speakers make an audible dial tone sound. The modem
    > is a Fax modem, and I've used the program and configuration to send
    > faxes in the past. Any thoughts?

Fax Modem Microsoft Windows XP