Printing from DOS on Windows XP

bill

After spending much time figuring out why my friend's computer would
not print from DOS on Windows XP, I have come upon a solution and
thought I should pass it on for future victims.

Here are the pertinent points:

1) Printer was Canon Multipass F50 connected on the first parallel
port
2) DOS test for printing was PRINT TEXT_FILE from command prompt
3) Computer was configured for networking as a single node LAN
4) Computer name was FOLLY
5) Printer sharename was F50
6) Printer was set up for spooling

At the DOS Command Prompt verify that the act of "sharing" the printer
in Windows XP automatically set up the printer for DOS by typing NET
SHARE.
(I think that this is why one gets a "resource type error" when trying
NET USE LPT1: \\FOLLY\F50 /PERSISTENT:YES , it's aready there. NET
SHARE F50 /DELETE will remove the entry if necessary.)

Now, here's the trick. In the printer's properties under drivers or
somewhere there is a list of input data types for each printer. His
had RAW, WIN???, WIN???, TEXT. Changing the input data type from RAW
to TEXT allowed the PRINT TEXT_FILE to print out where as before it
had been ignored when in the RAW mode. (I think that this is why
PRINT appeared to work but nothing showed up in the spooler or on the
printer.)

I hope that this helps.

Regards,
WNL

Hi,
Would you be kind to tell me in what application did you
print from DOS ?
With Windows 98 I was able to print the edit screen of a
Turbo C++ application. Now with XP it does not work. Any
thoughts ?
Thx a lot

bill

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. I printed from
MultiPlan, Professional Write, Quicken, P-Mate, and the DOS print
command. If by "able to print the edit screen ..." you mean that you
pressed the "Print Screen" key, then here are some thoughts about
that:

1) Print Screen was originally handled by the ROM BIOS
2) Windows 98 basically virtuallized the PC including this ROM BIOS
functionality
3) Evidently, you'll need to get a keyboard driver for Windows XP that
emulates the PC environment better.

Hope this helps,
WNL