Slow printing to Netgear PS1114 Print Server under XP Pro

I have a network printer (HP5550 HP with driver ver 7.0)
using a NetGear wireless print server (parallel port).

The strange behavior is, when I print from my admin
account the simplest text print job takes 5-10 seconds to
get kick off on the printer , this is tolerable.

But on the same computer when I log into a user account
the same print job takes almost 1.5 minutes before the
printer kicks off the job, the application during that
time is locked (not responding), I see that there is a HP
printing task shows up and then ends after the job
finishes.

I have no other computer on the network, I am using a
Linksys wireless router and the print server is close to
it, thus 11Mbps.

I have all of my firewalls and anti-virus software
disabled. I am using a static IP for the print server.
There is no other tasks running.

I have tried the print spooler enabled/disabled and set to
print first page etc.. with no change.

MS references in their knowledge base to try installing a
local printer and then changing the port to point to the
network port, this has not worked.

What is going on that could be so different on the same
machine between accounts, and take 1.5 minutes to spool
900 bytes to a printer.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!
3 answers Last reply
More about slow printing netgear ps1114 print server

    Be sure to disable Bidirectional on the Ports tab. I'd also get the latest
    firmware upgrade for your device. I was unable to locate a PS1114 at
    Netgears site.

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100114.asp
    Generally, Hewlett-Packard, Canon, Epson and all major parallel printers.
    Click here for a compatibility list . The bidirectional printer function and
    the spooler manager may need to be disabled for the printer to work properly
    with the Print Server. In any event, turning on the bidirectional feature
    will cause data to be sent somewhat more slowly to the printer.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "gmccrea" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a network printer (HP5550 HP with driver ver 7.0)
    > using a NetGear wireless print server (parallel port).
    >
    > The strange behavior is, when I print from my admin
    > account the simplest text print job takes 5-10 seconds to
    > get kick off on the printer , this is tolerable.
    >
    > But on the same computer when I log into a user account
    > the same print job takes almost 1.5 minutes before the
    > printer kicks off the job, the application during that
    > time is locked (not responding), I see that there is a HP
    > printing task shows up and then ends after the job
    > finishes.
    >
    > I have no other computer on the network, I am using a
    > Linksys wireless router and the print server is close to
    > it, thus 11Mbps.
    >
    > I have all of my firewalls and anti-virus software
    > disabled. I am using a static IP for the print server.
    > There is no other tasks running.
    >
    > I have tried the print spooler enabled/disabled and set to
    > print first page etc.. with no change.
    >
    > MS references in their knowledge base to try installing a
    > local printer and then changing the port to point to the
    > network port, this has not worked.
    >
    > What is going on that could be so different on the same
    > machine between accounts, and take 1.5 minutes to spool
    > 900 bytes to a printer.
    >
    > Your help is greatly appreciated!!

    I forgot to medtion the bidirectional mode was disabled
    and I have tried spooler disabled. I mis-typed the model
    munber it is a NetGear PS114W. I am thinking that the
    problem must ne a issue in Windows between a privledged
    account like admin and a user account and how they sent
    data to the printing resources?

    [ln];kbhowto

    confers no rights.

    >"gmccrea" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> I have a network printer (HP5550 HP with driver ver 7.0)
    >> using a NetGear wireless print server (parallel port).
    >>
    >> The strange behavior is, when I print from my admin
    >> account the simplest text print job takes 5-10 seconds
    >> get kick off on the printer , this is tolerable.
    >>
    >> But on the same computer when I log into a user account
    >> the same print job takes almost 1.5 minutes before the
    >> printer kicks off the job, the application during that
    >> time is locked (not responding), I see that there is a
    HP
    >> printing task shows up and then ends after the job
    >> finishes.
    >>
    >> I have no other computer on the network, I am using a
    >> Linksys wireless router and the print server is close to
    >> it, thus 11Mbps.
    >>
    >> I have all of my firewalls and anti-virus software
    >> disabled. I am using a static IP for the print server.
    >> There is no other tasks running.
    >>
    >> I have tried the print spooler enabled/disabled and set
    >> print first page etc.. with no change.
    >>
    >> MS references in their knowledge base to try installing
    >> local printer and then changing the port to point to the
    >> network port, this has not worked.
    >>
    >> What is going on that could be so different on the same
    >> machine between accounts, and take 1.5 minutes to spool
    >> 900 bytes to a printer.
    >>
    >> Your help is greatly appreciated!!
    >>

    >.

    Another typo the model number is PS111W, thanks

Servers Windows XP