Fax in accessible

miker

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004

I'm running XP and keep having problems when faxing from
any program. The wizard will not open & I get the
message "Fax server information cannot be retrieved". If
I then try to open the fax console, I get "All fax
printers are inaccessible.
If I reboot, the fax will work for a while then the "Fax
server information cannot be retrieved" error message
reappears.
I have uninstalled/reinstalled Fax Services and
added 'faxfix.reg' to the registry. SP1 is installed. No
improvement.
Any ideas???

..

Other known causes:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/4a29389c214c78ea88256c75005f451a/713afacbd4135e0a88256c77007e526f?OpenDocument
Error: "Rule Default Block Netspy Trojan Horse Matched" when you start the
computer
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/46f26a2d6dafb0a788256bc7005c3fa3/c06387f12de9fa2a88256cf60063c54d?OpenDocument
Microsoft Fax Monitor does not function properly after installing Norton
Internet Security

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Miker" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I'm running XP and keep having problems when faxing from
> any program. The wizard will not open & I get the
> message "Fax server information cannot be retrieved". If
> I then try to open the fax console, I get "All fax
> printers are inaccessible.
> If I reboot, the fax will work for a while then the "Fax
> server information cannot be retrieved" error message
> reappears.
> I have uninstalled/reinstalled Fax Services and
> added 'faxfix.reg' to the registry. SP1 is installed. No
> improvement.
> Any ideas???
>

> .

miker

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004

Yes, Thanks. I was aware of these but I only have NAV
2003 not NIS or NPF. Also in the first support document
only the fax monitor is affected.
I have tried disabling NAV but this makes no difference.
In addition there is the odd aspect that rebooting solves
the problem for a while!

miker

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004

If I try to open the fax console I am propted to install
th "Microsoft shared fax driver". Is this significant?

I should think so. You are not, however, describing a known issue. Without
the exact steps to reproduce this problem, I doubt we'll be able to figure
much out.
--
> If I try to open the fax console I am propted to install
> th "Microsoft shared fax driver". Is this significant?

miker

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004

I suspect it started after installation of a program, but
I don't know where to look as I sometimes don't use the
fax for long periods.
Any intelligent guesses?

Not really. You can tell from my earlier posts the type of programs that
seem to interfere with the Fax Monitor. We're always looking for others if
you can figure out what axed yours.