copper shims for the duron/athlon core.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
are copper shims for the duron/athlon core any good?

do they:
A. protect the core at all from being chipped or crushed?
B. increase thermal dissapation to the heatsink?

any bad things known about them?
i.e. shorting out cores or things of that nature.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

G

I have read up on them a fair bit and most would say only good for water cooling etc, but my main concern is for the actual thickness and the core not being in contact, cant see that until you smell it :frown: .

I spose you could lap one until its just below the deck height of the core by -0.001mm -0.005mm and I wonder if expansion of different materials used has much to do with it to what tolerance you should allow.
A question for the Metalurgist!

One other thing, some heat sinks are not suitable for the use with shims and with the big heavy HS being installed its a bit of a worry to keep that big sucker steady with a clip load up to 10kg (AMD recomends 5.4 to 10.8 kilograms ~ideally 7.2kg) to ensure adequate contact between the heatsink and processor die.

I would like to see a colapsable shim that requires say a minimum of 5kg of downwards force before it starts compressing by which time the clip is almost seated. Those four rubber standoffs svck, they really do.

Thermal dissapation aye! may improve pin heat but it could also spread it too. I have seen burnt shims on some other sites, prolly coz they placed it over a bridge or two or were not paying attention to the design.

Burnt my cookie overclocking!
~
Medication helps :smile:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 09/03/01 02:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmms
interesting points.

from what ive been reading the main use for them is to stop any possible heatsink rocking, either during instillation or during transport/use as may be the case using a HS with only two anchor points.

extra heat dissapation is meerly a bonus.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
The purpose of them is to reduce likelyhood of damage to the core, but as already mentioned, get one thats a fraction too thick and you will have heat problems n- or worse, I've never bothered with them myself, and never killed a core (have took a sliver of one before..), If you can hapilly fit a heatsink then I shouldnt bother with them.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well what i plan is to hang on to my 1200C till the athie4 is out in force, then upgrade to a 1.4-1.5 AHRJA (sp?)or possibly an athie4 itself. then to do the core fitting myself. (for the first time)

as its my first time ill be practicing on the old 1.2 for a while.

also want to really try out this new cooler i have.
i mentioned it in an earlier post, a Tornado win7528. very few reviews around...
a standard aluminium HS, rectangular gold plated copper base with is very smooth and flat (can see my reflection in it). but the thing that sparked my interest was the 80mm fan attached :). very quiet yet has plenty of sucking power.

saw a review at hardocp, bit limited though... it failed to adequately cool a AHRJA 1.4 oced to 1.6... but that was with its average standard fan. was thinking of attaching a 80mm 37+cfm fan to it as well. methinks it would work a treat, and be alot quieter than a 7000rpm screamer.

G

I have done that too, very annoying as I was being ever so careful. I found that its worth the effort to install it with the M/B out of the case, helps eliminate the deadly rocking.

~Ok back on medication now~