win32 error -2146762749

Receiving win32 error message on printer install using prndrvr.vbs.
Using XP to instlla printers locally. Anyone have a clue on what this
message could be related to?

Is the driver digitally signed? WMI cannot be used for unsigned print
drivers.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"desai" <kedardesai447@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Receiving win32 error message on printer install using prndrvr.vbs.
> Using XP to instlla printers locally. Anyone have a clue on what this
> message could be related to?

Alan -

Thanx for the info. I've been struggling with this for two days now.
The driver is something we developed in-house so I do not think it's
digitally signed. Just so I understand, when using prndrvr.vbs via
WMI, there are no exceptions to printer installation unless they are
digitally signed?

Using rundll32 printui, prinuientry seems to work ok but I want it to
work with prndrvr/prnmngr.

thanx in advance -

kd

It's not supported even if you set the driver signing warnings to ignore.
The setupapi.dll code knows the driver is not signed and even if you set the
policy to ignore driver signing warnings, you will still get UI which is
what blocks the ability of WMI to install the unsigned drivers since it must
be done without any user prompts.

prnadmin in the Server 2003 resource kit may work for you as well
here's the resource kit.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

--

> Alan -
>
> Thanx for the info. I've been struggling with this for two days now.
> The driver is something we developed in-house so I do not think it's
> digitally signed. Just so I understand, when using prndrvr.vbs via
> WMI, there are no exceptions to printer installation unless they are
> digitally signed?
>
> Using rundll32 printui, prinuientry seems to work ok but I want it to
> work with prndrvr/prnmngr.
>
> thanx in advance -
>
> kd

Alan -

thanx for the info, you've been a big help.

kd

Another question that came up:

Can I use prndrvr.vbs to install the drivers that come with the OS?
Ex, I found prinupg,inf in the \\windows\inf directory but when I use
the
prndrvr.vbs command I get the win32 error 87....which points to a
paramter error. Can I do it this way, I'm assuming the drivers from
the OS are digitally signed.

thanx

kd

By default the WMI print provider queries windows\inf\ntprint.inf for driver
files. The default install point is windows\driver cache\i386\driver.cab.
Printupg.inf points to driver replacements for IHV faulting drivers and
identify IHV drivers that cause the system to crash so we do not allow their
installation.

-i must also include the inf filename, -h just need the location. The help
does not specify this in XP but does on Server 2003. If you have Server
2003 installed some place pickup the vbs files from that release. There are
several bug fixes and enhancements to the scripts.

If the driver is in the driver.cab file, I like prnmngr.vbs to install the
printer. The driver will get installed at the same time and the ICM color
profile will match accordingly. If you first install the driver then
install the printer, none of the scripting solutions match up the profiles
properly.

I am ALANMO@ you have my company name if you would like more info on this