win32 error -2146762749

Receiving win32 error message on printer install using prndrvr.vbs.
Using XP to instlla printers locally. Anyone have a clue on what this
message could be related to?
6 answers Last reply
More about win32 error 2146762749

    Is the driver digitally signed? WMI cannot be used for unsigned print
    drivers.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "desai" <kedardesai447@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Receiving win32 error message on printer install using prndrvr.vbs.
    > Using XP to instlla printers locally. Anyone have a clue on what this
    > message could be related to?

    Alan -

    Thanx for the info. I've been struggling with this for two days now.
    The driver is something we developed in-house so I do not think it's
    digitally signed. Just so I understand, when using prndrvr.vbs via
    WMI, there are no exceptions to printer installation unless they are
    digitally signed?

    Using rundll32 printui, prinuientry seems to work ok but I want it to
    work with prndrvr/prnmngr.

    thanx in advance -

    kd

    It's not supported even if you set the driver signing warnings to ignore.
    The setupapi.dll code knows the driver is not signed and even if you set the
    policy to ignore driver signing warnings, you will still get UI which is
    what blocks the ability of WMI to install the unsigned drivers since it must
    be done without any user prompts.

    prnadmin in the Server 2003 resource kit may work for you as well
    here's the resource kit.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

    --

    > Alan -
    >
    > Thanx for the info. I've been struggling with this for two days now.
    > The driver is something we developed in-house so I do not think it's
    > digitally signed. Just so I understand, when using prndrvr.vbs via
    > WMI, there are no exceptions to printer installation unless they are
    > digitally signed?
    >
    > Using rundll32 printui, prinuientry seems to work ok but I want it to
    > work with prndrvr/prnmngr.
    >
    > thanx in advance -
    >
    > kd

    Alan -

    thanx for the info, you've been a big help.

    kd

    Another question that came up:

    Can I use prndrvr.vbs to install the drivers that come with the OS?
    Ex, I found prinupg,inf in the \\windows\inf directory but when I use
    the
    prndrvr.vbs command I get the win32 error 87....which points to a
    paramter error. Can I do it this way, I'm assuming the drivers from
    the OS are digitally signed.

    thanx

    kd

    By default the WMI print provider queries windows\inf\ntprint.inf for driver
    files. The default install point is windows\driver cache\i386\driver.cab.
    Printupg.inf points to driver replacements for IHV faulting drivers and
    identify IHV drivers that cause the system to crash so we do not allow their
    installation.

    -i must also include the inf filename, -h just need the location. The help
    does not specify this in XP but does on Server 2003. If you have Server
    2003 installed some place pickup the vbs files from that release. There are
    several bug fixes and enhancements to the scripts.

    If the driver is in the driver.cab file, I like prnmngr.vbs to install the
    printer. The driver will get installed at the same time and the ICM color
    profile will match accordingly. If you first install the driver then
    install the printer, none of the scripting solutions match up the profiles
    properly.

    I am ALANMO@ you have my company name if you would like more info on this

    --

    > Another question that came up:
    >
    > Can I use prndrvr.vbs to install the drivers that come with the OS?
    > Ex, I found prinupg,inf in the \\windows\inf directory but when I use
    > the
    > prndrvr.vbs command I get the win32 error 87....which points to a
    > paramter error. Can I do it this way, I'm assuming the drivers from
    > the OS are digitally signed.
    >
    > thanx
    >
    > kd

Win32 Error Message Printers Windows XP