2volt plus core

G

Hi all,
Can anyone enlighten me to risks with adjusting the core voltage higher than 2v? (Default 1.8v to 2.2v)

Is it only a heat issue?
Can the system take it?

1.4ghz T'bird at 1.6Ghz stable on an epox 8k7a+raid board.
Big mutha enermax.
Samshite 2.5v pc2100 256mb cas 2.
CPU 46.4C.
Room 27.8C

I would appreciate any suggestions thanks.

~I want a vapochill inside~
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 09/04/01 11:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
It's basic physics:
E=tI^2R (Joules law)
E is ammount of heat dissipated
t is time
I is current
R is resistance

Please note that heat dissipation is in proportion
to the square of the current, ie. to the square
of the voltage.
So increasing in voltage by 10% will increase
heat by 21%, voltage by 20% heat by 44% etc.

With enough voltage increase, you'll be able to
bake inside your computer. :)

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
WTF, I posted a reply here yesterday and it hasnt shown up!!
ok, as I said yesterday, I currently run 2V (modded kt7a raid), and was thinking the same, last night I raised it as high as it would go (1.85V in bios ~ 2.1V) got into windows at 1450 but locked after 20 mins (DAM), rebooted at 1400 and it was still going this morning, had been running prime95 all night and cpu temp was 38C (its normally about 36-38), The mod I did uses 2 resistors, I seem to remember in the article that if I use just one then I can get higher voltages- erm if you kill your cpu before me plz post here!, I'll do the same :)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

I never did physics, but I can learn!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
overclocking physics is easy-

good cpu=Vhigh+Templow/Mhz(lotsof)

bad cpu=Vlots+Temphot/Mhz(notenough)

G

Yep, understand I think, what’s this one resister thing?
Anyway I have had mine to 1733mhz but wouldn’t behave at all, this is why I posted this, as it’s a voltage thing. Seems like no one except Joe wants to add any info, which I may add, gives me another dimension to think about. I wont be trying anything to hot coz ol' digidoc5 will tell me if I am patient enough to watch it. Rip out the power cord if its starting to get to high between post and O/S, that’s the best thing about it, I can watch the temps as I am o/cing'.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 09/06/01 00:36 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
the resistor thing is whats needed to mod the kt7a boards, basically joining 2 points on the board with a resistor, but I used two 15K (I think) resistors to make the 30K (or whatever value), I seem to remember on the site that explained the mod that just 15k (or whatver) would give even more voltage, I cant remember the site I got it from, and im at work now with dam limited net access, on <A HREF="http://www.calvsplace.cwc.net" target="_new">my site </A> theres a link to the place with the voltage mod, I cant remember if they covered other boards or just the kt7a (the link is on the projects bit, 2nd page I think- next to the pix of my modded board)

Triple_A

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
THG did a how to on the A7V133 mobo resistor thing - not sure if they did one for your board. You may want to do a search. Interesting thing (important thing) is that the bios voltages will no longer be accurate! And you have to have a table to convert the displayed voltages to actual.

here's the link to the A7V133 mobo mods so you get an idea of what I'm talking about.

<A HREF="http:// http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/00q3/000928/ " target="_new">http:// http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/00q3/000928/ </A>

<b> <font color=blue> Next time that card won't fit , use Tom's hammer! </font color=blue> </b>

G

No no no, no smoke yet.lol To scared to up the voltages any more than I have already. Like I said its not so much a heat isuue but can the system handle it?

~I want a vapochill inside, but who gives 2 [peeps]~

G

Thankyou Crashman. .

Least ya didnt slap/smak me around this time.lol
:lol:

~No sig in protest of the sig of the week~

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
hmm, that may be one of the differnces in the wonderful english language, a rheostat as I know it is very similar but a rheo is normally higher powered- such as used in a mains light dimmer, where a pot is used for a volume control, rheos are normall solid state- either way, does the same :)

G

Crashman is in one of the Teepee's with the peace pipe, what else can we put in it?

G

Further update on the 2 volt core problem, I have three problems here.(currently at 1.6Ghz/2v)

1.The voltage no matter what jumper I connect to won't go past 2.07v, default is 1.81v and there is 4 x 0.1v steps above this which I have tried all of them. It just wont go there, is this a general protection on the Epox 8k7a+ or on the 1.4g cpu?

2. The memory is Samsung 256mb pc2100 running happily on 133mhz cas2. I tried o/c this instead but no bannanas, backed off to cas3 still nothing, tried 2.6- 2.7v just posts in continuous circles. I suppose the memory isnt overclockable that way and should get some corsair or crucial instead.

3. The multiplier switches onboard will not goto 12.5x from 12x, instead it jumps straight to 13x which is quite a big step from 1600mhz to 1733mhz.
Is there a way to get around this?
Could backing off the fsb to say 130 (130 x 13x=1700mhz) do anything or will this make it worse?

So in conclusion I am stuck at 1600mhz until I can get better stick's of memory or am I thinking entirely wrong with this?

Thanks to all that reply..

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Im having very similar porbs, my volatge is also maxed out, I put the voltage up as high as it would go in bios (1.85) and it read only 2.05 (1.75 reads this too), for some reason mine wont post at anything higher than 10.5 on the multiplier so fsb is the only way to go for me (not a bad thing but would like some flexibility), im going to remove one of the resistors I mentioned this weekend (havnt been bothered getting me soldering iron out this week)
What fsb are you running now? it may well be that your performance is higher with a lower speed and higher fsb (for eg 160 x 10) would be a lot faster than say 133 x 13, if I were you I'd just experiment!, Ill let you know how I get on with upping my voltage (probly will be tomorrow), btw what chip is it you have?

G

FSB 133, if I even up that a little it posts in circles.. Will have a fiddle with it tommorrow. Let you know what happens.

Its just weird I cant max it out. Must be a limit on the board, default on the chip is 1.8v I think.

I have a AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz SocketA (133mhz AYHJA Tbird)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think you would use a rheostat for the amplified circuit (such as controlling a single component in a three way speaker) and a Potentiometer in a line-level circuite (such as controlling one channel on a pre-amp). But which has more current carrying capacity, a large potentiometer or a small rheostat? Don't they overlap?

Back to you Tom...

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
from dictionary.com

rhe·o·stat (r-stt)
n.
A continuously variable electrical resistor used to regulate current

po·ten·ti·om·e·ter (p-tnsh-m-tr)
n.
An instrument for measuring an unknown voltage by comparison to a standard voltage.
A three-terminal resistor with an adjustable center connection, widely used for volume control in radio and television receivers. Also called pot

so there we are :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, so since speakers use a relatively constant voltage range through a wide volume range (meaning the volume is controlled by increasing/decreasing the current, not the voltage), the AMPlified speaker can be controlled by a Rheostat. Meanwhile, the UNamplified circuite, i.e, the amplifier controlls, use a potentiometer.

Back to you Tom...

G

running with higher vcores is fine. I run my tbird at 2.23vcore and I have run it at 2.35 for a while but I didn't want to risk it so I don't go any higher than 2.23.