Asign userright to install USB Printer

shiny

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2004

How can I asign the right to a user to install USB Printers. We cannot
put him in the Power User Group. The problem appeared with a HP for
which Windows XP doesn't have a driver, yet.

Unfortunately this is not possible:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297780

You can however install the printer for all Users:

www.coribright.com

"Shiny" <internet_1981@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
> How can I asign the right to a user to install USB Printers. We cannot
> put him in the Power User Group. The problem appeared with a HP for
> which Windows XP doesn't have a driver, yet.

shiny

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2004

thanks for the answer. In this case we have to find a work around. The
user must have the possibility to install new printers.

"Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message news:<OG$8xxtiEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Unfortunately this is not possible:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297780
>
> You can however install the printer for all Users:
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Shiny" <internet_1981@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
> > How can I asign the right to a user to install USB Printers. We cannot
> > put him in the Power User Group. The problem appeared with a HP for
> > which Windows XP doesn't have a driver, yet.

shiny

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2004

Is there no one with just an idea how it could work?

internet_1981@bluewin.ch (Shiny) wrote in message news:<16d28e12.0408252306.131c6bea@posting.google.com>...
> thanks for the answer. In this case we have to find a work around. The
> user must have the possibility to install new printers.
>

> "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message news:<OG$8xxtiEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> > Unfortunately this is not possible:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297780
> >
> > You can however install the printer for all Users:
> >
> > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> > www.coribright.com
> >
> > "Shiny" <internet_1981@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
> > > How can I asign the right to a user to install USB Printers. We cannot
> > > put him in the Power User Group. The problem appeared with a HP for
> > > which Windows XP doesn't have a driver, yet.

shiny

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2004

Hy again,
We had an idea:
Our problem is that the installation (printer wizard) of an USB
printer calls the hardware wizard. The printer wizard runs under
administrator but not the hardware wizard. Now we wanted to start the
hardware wizard before the printer wizard, hopping it is not called
again afterwards.
Good idea we thought, but: The hardware wizard starts, begins the
searching and than the login mask apears. How could that be if it's
started with runas?