Cooling Question

G

Let me first say that I have no interest in overclocking. I just plan on buying a alot of fans and other cooling gear.

I have a 4U rackmount case with 2 80mm fans (don't know cfm so I will change them out) in the middle on a bar. I have an Abit KG7-RAID system board. I will have an AMD 1.4GHz CPU in a few days.

That is as far as my ultimate Dream PC is, and that is where my question begins. It deals with chip cooling, but is not the basic "What CPU Cooler is the best for 1.4GHz AMD?" I am doing research for that on my own, and let me tell you, it is alot of work cutting thru all of the advertising hoopla.

It has to do with "what" goes in between the CPU and the Cooling Fan I decide on.

Thru the search for parts, I have seen mention that "NOTHING" goes between an AMD Core and the Cooling Fan and I have heard that "this thermal goo" is better than "that thermal tape".

I have heard that a "Copper Shim" is better than a "non-conductive one."

I was just hoping for some help, so I can complete this machine.

patlowe@dittosrush.com111

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
if you dont plan on overclocking, then really and heatsink/fan rated for the cpu you get should work just fine.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

You do mean "what goes between the CPU core and the heatsink" don't you? yes, then thermal paste, and artic silver is the best if you can get hold of it near you.
If you decide to stick with the thermal pad that often comes already attached to the heatsink base then remember firstly to remove it's plastic protective cover and secondly this pad is thermally activated and a use only once interface, it must be completely removed if the heatsink is taken off and paste applied.
One last note, you only need apply the smallest amount of paste to the raised CPU core, it is just there to fill in the microscopic surface inperfections and air pockets between the two contact surfaces.