HP 840C printer won't print

vinCe

I recently upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP. My HP
840C printer is attached through a parallel cable to the
lpt1 port. Now the printer will not print since the
upgrade. I have downloaded the latest driver from HP and
this doesn't help. The HP 840C is listed as compatible
with Windows XP. I was able to get the printer to print
using a USB cable. Why can't I print from the lpt1 port
anymore?

You kept the printer connected during the upgrade, and thus have corrupted
the drivers.

You need to COMPLETELY uninstall and reinstall as per my website at:
www.coribright.com

"vince" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP. My HP
> 840C printer is attached through a parallel cable to the
> lpt1 port. Now the printer will not print since the
> upgrade. I have downloaded the latest driver from HP and
> this doesn't help. The HP 840C is listed as compatible
> with Windows XP. I was able to get the printer to print
> using a USB cable. Why can't I print from the lpt1 port
> anymore?

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Are you trying to print landscape? I just posted similar
problem, I can print portrait but not landscape HP 500c
in any Office app.

vince,

> The HP 840C is listed as compatible
> with Windows XP. I was able to get the printer to print
> using a USB cable. Why can't I print from the lpt1 port
> anymore?

mine works ok either with the parallel or with the USB port.
Try to remove the parallel port and reboot Windows to have it automatically
recognized and reinstalled.

Regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

I can't print portrait or landscape.

when you say "remove the parallel port" do you mean to
disable the lpt1 device or to remove the driver?

----
----

>.

> when you say "remove the parallel port" do you mean to
> disable the lpt1 device or to remove the driver?

the driver should be sufficient (I hope)

Start -> Control Panel -> System
Hardware -> Devices

Select your LPT port, click <DEL> on your keyboard and reboot Windows to
have it automatically reinstalled.

Maybe it could be better to remove the Printer driver before removing the
port and to leave the printer disconnected while doing this.

Please note that I didn't try this method because my printer works ok, but I
hope it could work for you.