  • Verizon
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
February 26, 2005 8:11:43 PM

I just subscribed to the America's choice II plan. I freqently travel to
areas that are in the Verizon network, but I live in an "extended network"
area. If I go about 30 miles North or 15 miles South, I will get into a
digital Verizon area. I can make voice calls at home in the extended area
without any problems, but cannot access the digital service (send pictures,
other data types of services). My question is, would an external antena be
of any help? If so, which kind do you recommend. I have an LG VX7000 phone.
Thanks

More about : extended network problem

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 8:11:44 PM

Daniel Le wrote:
> I just subscribed to the America's choice II plan. I freqently
> travel to areas that are in the Verizon network, but I live in an
> "extended network" area. If I go about 30 miles North or 15 miles
> South, I will get into a digital Verizon area. I can make voice
> calls at home in the extended area without any problems, but cannot
> access the digital service (send pictures, other data types of
> services). My question is, would an external antena be of any help?
> If so, which kind do you recommend. I have an LG VX7000 phone. Thanks

Fraid an external won't help.. Extended networks are guaranteed to be
digital VOICE... not data. Don't know where you got the idea that digital
service is both voice and data.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 2:50:10 AM

> I just subscribed to the America's choice II plan. I freqently travel to
> areas that are in the Verizon network, but I live in an "extended network"
> area. If I go about 30 miles North or 15 miles South, I will get into a
> digital Verizon area. I can make voice calls at home in the extended area
> without any problems, but cannot access the digital service (send pictures,
> other data types of services). My question is, would an external antena be
> of any help? If so, which kind do you recommend. I have an LG VX7000 phone.
> Thanks

An external antenna would most likely not work. However, if you
purchase an active repeater/amplifier, and set your phone to "Home only"
you might be in luck. This would be expensive though, as usually the
full cost is at least $500 for something like that. And it may not work.

Unfortunately, making and receiving voice calls are the only standards
on CDMA, and digital features such as voicemail notification, text
messaging, picture messaging, data use, push to talk, and caller ID are
not standard while roaming. This is an area where GSM has the upper foot.

TH
February 27, 2005 2:50:11 AM

Tropical Haven wrote:
>> I just subscribed to the America's choice II plan. I
>> freqently travel to areas that are in the Verizon
>> network, but I live in an "extended network" area. If I
>> go about 30 miles North or 15 miles South, I will get
>> into a digital Verizon area. I can make voice calls at
>> home in the extended area without any problems, but
>> cannot access the digital service (send pictures, other
>> data types of services). My question is, would an
>> external antena be of any help? If so, which kind do you
>> recommend. I have an LG VX7000 phone. Thanks
>
> An external antenna would most likely not work. However,
> if you
> purchase an active repeater/amplifier, and set your phone
> to "Home only" you might be in luck. This would be
> expensive though, as usually the full cost is at least
> $500 for something like that. And it may not work.
>
> Unfortunately, making and receiving voice calls are the
> only standards
> on CDMA, and digital features such as voicemail
> notification, text messaging, picture messaging, data
> use, push to talk, and caller ID are not standard while
> roaming. This is an area where GSM has the upper foot.

What??? "active repeater/amplifier"?? 15 miles?? You're
probably going to need a military license for that kind of
power...

and the deal with the digital services is not so much
standards and more of the extended networks are
different networks and not VZW... It would be the
same for GSM. It's a billing issue not so much a
technology one.

-Quick
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 7:54:31 AM

> What??? "active repeater/amplifier"?? 15 miles?? You're
> probably going to need a military license for that kind of
> power...
>
> and the deal with the digital services is not so much
> standards and more of the extended networks are
> different networks and not VZW... It would be the
> same for GSM. It's a billing issue not so much a
> technology one.
>
> -Quick

That's not an unreasonable distance, however, other factors, such as the
"angling" of the VZW towers could make all the difference. Especially
if the systems use the same frequency.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for CDMA to use data/digital
features while roaming, I'm just saying it's not standard. To the user,
it doesn't matter whether it's technically impossible or the carriers
won't allow it -- the only thing that matters is that it doesn't work.
However, GSM has certain standards. If I'm not mistaken, one of those
standards (not technical, but of the Group Speciale Mobile) is that
access to roaming is access to all features, including CID, data, et al.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:09:01 AM

I've just spent a few days talking to several people in Verizon Wireless
stores and on the phone. We got caught in the confusion and I don't
give up that easily. Verizon doesn't tell you exactly what they're
doing in the America's Choice II plan. It took a bit of doing and
asking the right questions to get an answer.

In order to be able to advertise "no roaming charges," they now block
outgoing calls FROM an extended area where you used to be roaming.
Verizon is not willing to defray the costs of roaming in another
carrier's area, so they no longer allow America's Choice II subscribers
to even make the call. Subscribers on the original America's Choice
plan can make the call and will be charged roaming fees. Apparently
they program your phone to differentiate the callers (automatically
when you do *228 to update as well as when they activate your phone).

This issue was of special interest to me because I used to be on the
Digital East plan (until a week ago). In that plan, Verizon picked up
the roaming charges within my (huge!) home area (the Carolinas to
Maine, including Pennsylvania). I dropped my Digital East plan because
many of our minutes are cell to cell and the "in" plan is included in
all America's Choice plans. In the long run, I am better off by
switching plans. ("Finally!"--I can hear the Verizon executives
saying.)

There is some consolation from Verizon's network being further
extended, but you will not be able to make calls FROM a
formerly-roaming area if you are on the ACII plan. If you are on the
original AC plan, you will still be able to roam and you will be
charged the additional roaming fees. Unfortunately, this is like
reducing the size of the candy bar without increasing the price--it's
still a price increase. In this case, it seems to be a reduction in
coverage, offset somewhat by a larger coverage area.

We kept my husband on the original America's Choice plan so that at
least one of us could make a call when we're on vacation. We were also
told we have 30 days to change back, so that might be true and you
might still be able to "undo" the switch to America's Choice II. I hope
this helps--and please don't beat up the messenger!

--
joress
March 3, 2005 1:09:02 AM

joress wrote:
> We were also told we have 30 days to change
> back, so that might be true and you might still be able
> to "undo" the switch to America's Choice II. I hope this
> helps--and please don't beat up the messenger!

It's not advertised much but VZW's policy so far has
been that you can change plans and then, within 30
days, revert to the plan you had with promos, etc.
*even if it's no longer offered*.

That's not to say you might not get *everything* back
exactly the way it was... There is that business with
PDA phones and data usage right now where things
are sort of in flux. I was on the old AC plan with EN
MOU with my Kyocera 7135 PDA phone. I went to
switch to the AC1 promo plan they had for a few
weeks towards the end of last year and the first 2
weeks of Jan. The CS said everything should remain
the same. Then she called back in about 15 minutes
to tell me that the system had flagged my PDA phone
on the new plan and required that I add a data plan.
She said she had tried everything and that it couldn't
be done. My wife's vx4400 was not flagged and retained
the EN/NA feature.

She said that she hadn't commited the changes and
asked if I wanted to go ahead with the switch and a
data plan. I elected the "pay as you go" plan. She then
made sure that I understood that the data plan thing
would be "permanent" and I would not be able to revert
to the old plan with NA (MOU). Someone else noted that
they changed ESNs from one 7135 to a replacement 7135
with no problems so it appears that, currently, the check
is only done by the billing system when changing plan
codes.

-Quick
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:09:02 AM

joress wrote:
> I've just spent a few days talking to several people in Verizon
> Wireless stores and on the phone. We got caught in the confusion and
> I don't give up that easily. Verizon doesn't tell you exactly what
> they're doing in the America's Choice II plan. It took a bit of doing
> and asking the right questions to get an answer.
>
> In order to be able to advertise "no roaming charges," they now block
> outgoing calls FROM an extended area where you used to be roaming.

I don't know who you've been talking to or what you've been smoking, but it
is impossible to be on the extended network and roam at the same time.

Are you sure you aren't confusing a local digital choice plan with americas
choice?
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 2:22:27 AM

Joress,
This subject has been discussed at great length in this and other forums.
On first glace, it looked like Verizon did limit the roaming capabilities in
the new, No-Roam America's Choice plans. However, upon further review, it
was found that only a few counties in the country have less potential
service than the AC1 plan. The additions significantly outweigh the very
few losses. Over forty new local areas (SID's) have been switched from
"Roaming" to Extended".

In some parts of the country, as an example, one roaming carrier was removed
from the PRL, but service is still provided by another carrier. We compared
this over and over and found very little is "lost". Also, there are several
errors in the map and the PRL, and it seems as though some carriers were
accidently left out.

As an example, in Texas, several roaming carriers were removed, but one,
Cingular, made up for all lost coverage. The net effect is that the state
lost a handful of (.69 per minute) roaming partners, but included coverage
has changed from 80% to 100% of the state! In Colorado, one county was
lost, but one county was gained, and I believe the county that was lost was
a mistake and will be added to the AC2 PRL.

Only personal experience will bear this out, but based on the facts, it's
too early to comdemn the list. I was one of the biggest doubters, I have
been converted.

And, if all else fails, even if your phone says "No Service", it is highly
likely it can complete a 911 call.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

"joress" <joress.1laeea@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message

> In order to be able to advertise "no roaming charges," they now block
> outgoing calls FROM an extended area where you used to be roaming.
> Verizon is not willing to defray the costs of roaming in another
> carrier's area, so they no longer allow America's Choice II subscribers
> to even make the call. Subscribers on the original America's Choice
> plan can make the call and will be charged roaming fees.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 10:44:37 AM

Peter Pan wrote:
> I don't know who you've been talking to or what you've been smoking, but it
> is impossible to be on the extended network and roam at the same time.

Actually, if your phone says "Extended Network", you are by definition
roaming (not on a VZW system), otherwise your phone would say "Verizon
Wireless". You just aren't paying roaming charges.
!