Sign in with
Your question

Connecting ps3 to internet without router only usb modem

Last response: in Video Games
June 19, 2012 9:32:58 PM

Hello, i would like to know if it would be possible to connect my ps3 to the internet, using my laptop and a usb modem, without a router
a b î Playstation
June 20, 2012 1:49:00 PM

Most modems can only be attached to one device at a time, so I'd say no.

If your modem has a built in router, then yes, but your question/topic suggests you don't want to use a router.
m
l
June 20, 2012 6:34:35 PM

Yes, if you install a second ethernet adapter in your laptop. Or if it already has one. You will need to create a network bridge on your laptop to enable your ps3 to use your laptop as a sort of router to your modem. It is pretty easy and is something I have done a couple of times.
m
l
Related resources
a b î Playstation
June 20, 2012 8:17:06 PM

o_tipper_x said:
Yes, if you install a second ethernet adapter in your laptop. Or if it already has one. You will need to create a network bridge on your laptop to enable your ps3 to use your laptop as a sort of router to your modem. It is pretty easy and is something I have done a couple of times.

If you are going to use ICS (internet connection sharing), you will be better off getting a router otherwise you have no connectivity when the computer is off.
m
l
June 21, 2012 1:12:29 PM

This is true but it is much cheaper to get a second network card then getting a router. Just depends on if you keep your computer on while you play.
m
l
!