Printing slow after installing SP2 for XP Home

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I just installed SP2 for Windows XP Home and now printing
seems to take at least 10 times longer. Is there a way
to change that?

What make and model of printer are you printing to and how is it connected
to the PC (LPT, USB, other)?
www.coribright.com

"Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed SP2 for Windows XP Home and now printing
> seems to take at least 10 times longer. Is there a way
> to change that?

I have the same problem. I have installed SP2 in XP pro - The printer (HP
LaserJet 1300) I am using is connected to another computer in the network.
The system connected to printer is using Windows ME Operating System. Is
there any solution ?

Simon K. C.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What make and model of printer are you printing to and how is it connected
> to the PC (LPT, USB, other)?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just installed SP2 for Windows XP Home and now printing
> > seems to take at least 10 times longer. Is there a way
> > to change that?

Did you run DiskCleanup and Defrag after installing SP2?
www.coribright.com

"Simon K. C." <Simon K. C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem. I have installed SP2 in XP pro - The printer (HP
> LaserJet 1300) I am using is connected to another computer in the
> network.
> The system connected to printer is using Windows ME Operating System. Is
> there any solution ?
>
> Simon K. C.
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> What make and model of printer are you printing to and how is it
>> connected
>> to the PC (LPT, USB, other)?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just installed SP2 for Windows XP Home and now printing
>> > seems to take at least 10 times longer. Is there a way
>> > to change that?

I have also had a very specific problem with printing on a network which I
haven't been able to solve, though I have more info on the exact setup that
seems to cause a problem:
(1) Printing to a remote computer with shared printer - ONLY computers
running Windows 98 have problem.
(2) Windows XP with SP2 on workstation doing printing (SP1 no problem)
(3) Excel (2003 and 2000) - only tested on two PC's so may be all versions
cause problem

The printer seems to work, but Excel seems to run very slowly afterwards. I
am wondering if this is something to do with the print job notification -
incompatability with Win 98 perhaps ??

Note problem only affects Excel - Word has no problem. A Win XP shared
printer similarly has no problem, but possibly Excel runs tad slower but very
difficult to tell.

Sorry no answer as yet.