HP Photosmart1000

Recently installed XP; printer was working fine until few
days ago, started getting the yellow warning symbol on
my toolbar when starting up. Right clicking it brings up
"HP Photosmart1000 not connected." All connections
checked and rechecked. Tried having printer on and off
during startup, same thing. Nothing will print, stays in
print que.
When checking printer properties I see it's connected to
DOT port, which I never heard of. Also set for sharing,
which I never set up. Are these XP defaults or do I need
to change the port?
Thanks a lot.

HP uses the 1284.4 (DOT4) protocols when transmitting data to many of their
devices. If you have a DOT4 port, then it was installed with the printer.

The Add Printer Wizard has sticky settings that retain the last selections
that were used.
You can check these settings in the registry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings\Wizard

Shared Dword 1 means that the option was enabled the last time the wizard
was run and the next time as well.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team