Do aluminum cases cool?

reversi

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001
i heard aluminum cases cooled down your computer. (makes since) But how much does it cool them down? and is it worth it?

Never Trust Intel to do AMD's job!

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Aluminum (as a material) dissapates heat better than traditional plastic or iron cases.

When I moved my system to an aluminum case (Lian-Li PC60) I noticed that the case got fairly warm when I ran it. This is good - my system is producing heat and the case helps dissapate it.

How much does it cool down a system? Hard to say. Really, you would only see a cooling improvement if the limiting factor of your previous set-up was that there simply was too much heat trapped inside your old case.

Good airflow and good fans (in general) will give you far greater improvements than the case.

In short, don't expect any miracles.

Are they worth it? Well, I like the look of an aluminum case better. They are much lighter. The particular case I have (Lian-Li PC60) is extremely well made and easy to work in. So for me it's worth it.

I would say that the cooling improvement alone is not significant enough to warrant a switch.

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Aluminum cases can help spread the heat around if it is concentrated in one area (RAId array, for instance). They also look EXTREMELY cool, which I think is the major selling point.
Why you should buy an aluminum case:
It looks cool
It's light
It "helps cool": the system

You're pretty much paying for the look, but if you like that, go for it. Not really enough on its own, though.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

G

I work in avaition and deal with aluminum regularly. Yes one of its properties is to disippate heat (but if you really wanted this as a property, use magnesium or copper). But if you dont have anything like a room fan to remove the heat from your case its not making a great difference. Now if you got one of those little refridgerators, rigged it so you could put your comp in it; Chilled (i am thinking freezing)the ENTIRE thing so you dont have to worry about moisture cause the fridge removes it.....NOW that is cooling.
Maybe that will be my Compaq's fate come New Year.

Bent on taking Compaq down