Canon MultiPASS C755 Multi-function Printer Software & XP ..

After installing MS XP SR2 the Canon Printer Software on
my computer stoped working! This must have been a known
problem with Canon's software prior to SR2 but I did not
have this problem before updating to SR2. The details
follow:

RE: Canon MultiPASS C755, SN # UTW 38848 multi-function
printer software problem.

ERROR MESSAGE: Unable to log onto MultiPASS Server,
please restart MP Service.

This problem started on my system when I installed MS'
SR2 for Windows XP.

I experience the problem using either the USB or the
parallel interface connections.

I have read Canon's FAQ on this subject and found it to
be inaccurate and incomplete.

Work-around #2 has no effect on this problem. The
mpservic.exe program still has to be started using the
instruction in Work-around #1.

Work-around #3 is not practical.

Work-around #1 does not completely fix the problem as the
mpservic.exe program will only run for a few minutes
before it terminates and causes the MultiPASS Status
Monitor to also terminate.

Will you research this problem and give us a better
solution

Canon FAQ USSJ00113_EN_00

Category : Error Displayed on Monitor
Description : [Unable to log onto MultiPASS Server,
please restart MP Service]

After installing the MultiPASS Desktop Manager on Windows
XP and restarting the computer, the message

[Unable to log onto MultiPASS Server, please restart MP
Service from the Control Panel]

appears. This may also occur in Windows 2000 and NT 4.0.

Note:

If the MultiPASS Toolbar is not included with your
version of Desktop Manager, then the message

[Failed to start MultiPASS Status Monitor. Please
restart the computer and try again.]

will appear in addition to the message stated above. See
the chart below to see which MultiPASS Desktop Manager
versions include a MultiPASS Toolbar.

Desktop
Two
Manager MultiPASS Status
Monitor error
Model Version /MultiPASS Server
MultiPASS Toolbar messages

MultiPASS C3500 3.01 MultiPASS Server
No No
MultiPASS C5500 3.01 MultiPASS Server
No No
MultiPASS L6000 3.01 MultiPASS Server
No No
MultiPASS C530 3.10b MultiPASS Status Monitor
Yes Yes
MultiPASS C560 3.10b MultiPASS Status Monitor
Yes Yes
MultiPASS C755 3.2 MultiPASS Status Monitor
Yes Yes
MultiPASS C555 3.21 MultiPASS Status Monitor
Yes Yes

Work-around #1:

1. Click OK to the 'Unable to log onto MultiPASS Server'
message.
2. Click Start, right-click My Computer and select Manage.
3. At the 'Computer Management' window, double-click
Services and Applications.
4. Double-click Services on the right-hand pane.
5. Right-click MPService and then select Start.
6. Right-click on the MultiPASS Status Monitor and then
select Reconnect.

Work-around #2:

Deselect the MultiPASS Status Monitor and MultiPASS
Toolbar (if applicable) from launching on startup.

1. Right-click on the MultiPASS Status Monitor icon and
select Load on Windows Startup to remove the checkmark.
2. Right-click on the MultiPASS Toolbar icon and select
Toolbar Settings.
3. At Toolbar Settings tab in Canon MultiPASS Toolbar
Settings dialog box, click Load on Windows Startup box to
remove the checkmark.
4. Click OK to close the Canon MultiPASS Toolbar Settings
dialog box.

Work-around #3:

If your computer connects to a network system, disconnect
the cable from the network prior to turning on the
computer
..
http://alpha03.c-wss.com/wsss/ApplServlet?
RQF=MAIN&RQS=WWUCAl 11&LA=1093... 8/20/2004

Pickup the tcpip.sys file available from MS. There is not a fee for this

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
Programs that connect to IP addresses that are in the loopback address range
may not work as you expect in Windows XP Service Pack 2

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"G. M. Stone" <GMStone97@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Deselect the MultiPASS Status Monitor and MultiPASS
> Toolbar (if applicable) from launching on startup.
>
> 1. Right-click on the MultiPASS Status Monitor icon and
> select Load on Windows Startup to remove the checkmark.
> 2. Right-click on the MultiPASS Toolbar icon and select
> Toolbar Settings.
> 3. At Toolbar Settings tab in Canon MultiPASS Toolbar
> Settings dialog box, click Load on Windows Startup box to
> remove the checkmark.
> 4. Click OK to close the Canon MultiPASS Toolbar Settings
> dialog box.
>
> Work-around #3:
>
> If your computer connects to a network system, disconnect
> the cable from the network prior to turning on the
> computer
> .
> http://alpha03.c-wss.com/wsss/ApplServlet?
> RQF=MAIN&RQS=WWUCAl 11&LA=1093... 8/20/2004

Did this fix work? I have the same problem. I don't have the multipass
networked, but the printer software won't initialize after xp sp2.

"Alan Morris\(MSFT\)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<u$84MMFjEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> [...]
> >
> > Deselect the MultiPASS Status Monitor and MultiPASS
> > Toolbar (if applicable) from launching on startup.
> >
> > 1. Right-click on the MultiPASS Status Monitor icon and
> > select Load on Windows Startup to remove the checkmark.
> > 2. Right-click on the MultiPASS Toolbar icon and select
> > Toolbar Settings.
> > 3. At Toolbar Settings tab in Canon MultiPASS Toolbar
> > Settings dialog box, click Load on Windows Startup box to
> > remove the checkmark.
> > 4. Click OK to close the Canon MultiPASS Toolbar Settings
> > dialog box.
> >
> > Work-around #3:
> >
> > If your computer connects to a network system, disconnect
> > the cable from the network prior to turning on the
> > computer
> > .
> > http://alpha03.c-wss.com/wsss/ApplServlet?
> > RQF=MAIN&RQS=WWUCAl 11&LA=1093... 8/20/2004

Fix did not work for me. Multipass software still will not initialize.

kainen@rcn.com (jkainen) wrote in message news:<35c19714.0409050839.3a612508@posting.google.com>...
> [...]
> > >
> > > Deselect the MultiPASS Status Monitor and MultiPASS
> > > Toolbar (if applicable) from launching on startup.
> > >
> > > 1. Right-click on the MultiPASS Status Monitor icon and
> > > select Load on Windows Startup to remove the checkmark.
> > > 2. Right-click on the MultiPASS Toolbar icon and select
> > > Toolbar Settings.
> > > 3. At Toolbar Settings tab in Canon MultiPASS Toolbar
> > > Settings dialog box, click Load on Windows Startup box to
> > > remove the checkmark.
> > > 4. Click OK to close the Canon MultiPASS Toolbar Settings
> > > dialog box.
> > >
> > > Work-around #3:
> > >
> > > If your computer connects to a network system, disconnect
> > > the cable from the network prior to turning on the
> > > computer
> > > .
> > > http://alpha03.c-wss.com/wsss/ApplServlet?
> > > RQF=MAIN&RQS=WWUCAl 11&LA=1093... 8/20/2004

There are apparently new drivers on the Australian Canon website. I have no
idea why they have not propagated to the US/UK Canon websites yet, but you
might want to give them a try.
www.coribright.com

"jkainen" <kainen@rcn.com> wrote in message
> Fix did not work for me. Multipass software still will not initialize.

Change the listening IP address of the service. If this ini file does not
exist on your system than this must be some other issue.

Canon work around
We found the problem. Our component in the spooler is trying to communicate
via WinSock on IP address 127.0.0.2. When I change this to 127.0.0.1,
printing and scanning starts working.

Right now, this setting is in an INI file that we put in system32. In order
to make the printer work, you just have to change the address in
MpNetIpc.ini.

The result is that there appears to be a work around, but we would like to
know why address 127.0.0.2 is being blocked.