EQ2 - New Quest Changes = Bad move guys!

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"As part of Live Update #6, we will be making a significant change to many
items your character may own. The majority of items given to the player as
the result of completing quests will now be flagged as No Trade. This change
will affect existing items as well as those awarded to players going
forward".

This is a very bad move guys! It will remove a lot of the fun and interest
related to the buying and selling of goods and leave you with a rather bland
and boring market. No more logging in just to see if there is a bargain to
be had in the market place or checking to see if the quested piece you
didn't need has sold yet!

In essence it will split the game into two groups. The Uber always on the go
super well equipped raiders and the rest - probably the grey majority
grinding away in their 'simple homespun' market bought equipment!

Making the items atuneable should have been sufficient.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <aZX3e.7109840$f47.1307128@news.easynews.com>, nsub1
@btinternet.com says...
> "As part of Live Update #6, we will be making a significant change to many
> items your character may own. The majority of items given to the player as
> the result of completing quests will now be flagged as No Trade. This change
> will affect existing items as well as those awarded to players going
> forward".
>
> This is a very bad move guys! It will remove a lot of the fun and interest
> related to the buying and selling of goods and leave you with a rather bland
> and boring market.

I wasn't aware the game of everQUEST was about the 'fun' of shopping.

Changes like this simply ensure the playuers actually do the quests,
which is after all the point of the game. No more sittitng there
thinking "That's a pretty interestng quest... but I can just buy some
ubers hand me down for a couple gold."

If you want to play a game where the fun and interest is related to
buying and selling in the market we have several outlets for you:

ebay
day trading

> No more logging in just to see if there is a bargain to
> be had in the market place or checking to see if the quested piece you
> didn't need has sold yet!

Oh the horror.

> In essence it will split the game into two groups. The Uber always on the go
> super well equipped raiders and the rest - probably the grey majority
> grinding away in their 'simple homespun' market bought equipment!

Beats having them grind away gold to buy the hand me downs instead of
doing the quests themselves.

Seriously, ask yourself, are you really going to have -less- fun because
you'll have to perform a quest to get an item? Were you really having
that much fun buying your stuff?

"Nick" <nsub1@btinternet.com> wrote in

> "As part of Live Update #6, we will be making a significant change to
> many items your character may own. The majority of items given to the
> player as the result of completing quests will now be flagged as No
> Trade. This change will affect existing items as well as those awarded
> to players going forward".
>
> This is a very bad move guys! It will remove a lot of the fun and
> interest related to the buying and selling of goods and leave you with
> a rather bland and boring market. No more logging in just to see if
> there is a bargain to be had in the market place or checking to see if
> the quested piece you didn't need has sold yet!
>
> In essence it will split the game into two groups. The Uber always on
> the go super well equipped raiders and the rest - probably the grey
> majority grinding away in their 'simple homespun' market bought
> equipment!
>
> Making the items atuneable should have been sufficient.

I just can't see where this is a bad thing. If you want that cool new piece
of equipment, do the quest. As a result of this change, buying plat to
obtain stuff (not saying you would) is becoming much less of an option, and
I applaud them for it.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

Rumbledor wrote:
> "Nick" <nsub1@btinternet.com> wrote in
>

>>"As part of Live Update #6, we will be making a significant change to
>>many items your character may own. The majority of items given to the
>>player as the result of completing quests will now be flagged as No
>>Trade. This change will affect existing items as well as those awarded
>>to players going forward".
>>
>>This is a very bad move guys! It will remove a lot of the fun and
>>interest related to the buying and selling of goods and leave you with
>>a rather bland and boring market. No more logging in just to see if
>>there is a bargain to be had in the market place or checking to see if
>>the quested piece you didn't need has sold yet!
>>
>>In essence it will split the game into two groups. The Uber always on
>>the go super well equipped raiders and the rest - probably the grey
>>majority grinding away in their 'simple homespun' market bought
>>equipment!
>>
>>Making the items atuneable should have been sufficient.
>>

> I just can't see where this is a bad thing. If you want that cool new piece
> of equipment, do the quest. As a result of this change, buying plat to
> obtain stuff (not saying you would) is becoming much less of an option, and
> I applaud them for it.

Agreed. Also, it only applies to quested items and not chest drops.
However, I do find that since I solo quite a bit sometimes I get armor
that isn't as good as what I already have and it is convenient to be
able to sell it. All in all, I don't see anything here I would complain
about.

--
- Barry as Aslanar on Ogguk

>>>"As part of Live Update #6, we will be making a significant change to
>>>many items your character may own. The majority of items given to the
>>>player as the result of completing quests will now be flagged as No
>>>Trade. This change will affect existing items as well as those awarded
>>>to players going forward".
>>>
>>>This is a very bad move guys! It will remove a lot of the fun and
>>>interest related to the buying and selling of goods and leave you with
>>>a rather bland and boring market. No more logging in just to see if
>>>there is a bargain to be had in the market place or checking to see if
>>>the quested piece you didn't need has sold yet!
>>>
>>>In essence it will split the game into two groups. The Uber always on
>>>the go super well equipped raiders and the rest - probably the grey
>>>majority grinding away in their 'simple homespun' market bought
>>>equipment!
>>>Making the items atuneable should have been sufficient.
>>>

>> I just can't see where this is a bad thing. If you want that cool new
>> piece of equipment, do the quest. As a result of this change, buying plat
>> to obtain stuff (not saying you would) is becoming much less of an
>> option, and I applaud them for it.
>>

> Agreed. Also, it only applies to quested items and not chest drops.
> However, I do find that since I solo quite a bit sometimes I get armor
> that isn't as good as what I already have and it is convenient to be able
> to sell it. All in all, I don't see anything here I would complain about.
>
> --
This is known as, "It seems to be working in World of Warcraft, so lets give
it a shot here." All quest rewards are no drop in WoW, of course if you are
an enchanter in WoW you can make use of every rewards, but everyone can sell
the reward no matter what. Also what I remember of EQ2 quest rewards they
are more often something you can use, while in WoW they are set by the
quest, so you may not even be able to make use of the item except to sell
it. Personally I like it, it makes people quest for items not quest for the
best price for items. You still sell the normal drops and all is good. (Note
I also like that every magic item in WoW is attunable, so you can never pass
down anything you actually use)

Jeff Lindholm wrote:

>>>I just can't see where this is a bad thing. If you want that cool new
>>>piece of equipment, do the quest. As a result of this change, buying plat
>>>to obtain stuff (not saying you would) is becoming much less of an
>>>option, and I applaud them for it.
>>>

>>Agreed. Also, it only applies to quested items and not chest drops.
>>However, I do find that since I solo quite a bit sometimes I get armor
>>that isn't as good as what I already have and it is convenient to be able
>>to sell it. All in all, I don't see anything here I would complain about.
>>
>>--
>
> This is known as, "It seems to be working in World of Warcraft, so lets give
> it a shot here." All quest rewards are no drop in WoW, of course if you are
> an enchanter in WoW you can make use of every rewards, but everyone can sell
> the reward no matter what. Also what I remember of EQ2 quest rewards they
> are more often something you can use, while in WoW they are set by the
> quest, so you may not even be able to make use of the item except to sell
> it. Personally I like it, it makes people quest for items not quest for the
> best price for items. You still sell the normal drops and all is good. (Note
> I also like that every magic item in WoW is attunable, so you can never pass
> down anything you actually use)

You are correct. When you get an item from a quest you at least always
have a choice of an item that applies to your class (e.g., sometimes you
get a choice of very light armor, light armor, etc.) This does not mean
that you can always use the item effectively (e.g., I have been given
items that con gray to me).

--
- Barry as Aslanar on Ogguk

>You are correct. When you get an item from a quest you at least always

>have a choice of an item that applies to your class (e.g., sometimes
you
>get a choice of very light armor, light armor, etc.) This does not
mean
>that you can always use the item effectively (e.g., I have been given
>Items that con gray to me).

Er no you don't. Only some quests do that. Others give you an item
regardless. My mages have received heavy armour, shields, clubs etc as
quest rewards. In the past I've given them to alts. Not any more I
guess.

BombayMix wrote:
> >You are correct. When you get an item from a quest you at least
always

> >have a choice of an item that applies to your class (e.g., sometimes
> you
> >get a choice of very light armor, light armor, etc.) This does not
> mean
> >that you can always use the item effectively (e.g., I have been
given
> >Items that con gray to me).
>
> Er no you don't. Only some quests do that. Others give you an item
> regardless. My mages have received heavy armour, shields, clubs etc
as
> quest rewards. In the past I've given them to alts. Not any more I
> guess.

The discussion switched to be about how WoW does it whilst you weren't
looking. In a large proportion (most?) of the quests you get a choice
of two or three items as your reward. In WoW, you can usually choose
something that you could use (you may not actually use it for various
reasons but you could in theory) Also, you can always sell attuned
(soulbound in WoW) items to vendors so even if you don't want it you
can get some material benefit from the quest.

steve.kaye

steve.kaye

"Barry L. Wallis" <KRQSAOQMNTXB@spammotel.com> wrote in

>>>Agreed. Also, it only applies to quested items and not chest drops.
>>>However, I do find that since I solo quite a bit sometimes I get
>>>armor that isn't as good as what I already have and it is convenient
>>>to be able to sell it. All in all, I don't see anything here I would
>>>complain about.
>>>
>>>--
>>
>> This is known as, "It seems to be working in World of Warcraft, so
>> lets give it a shot here." All quest rewards are no drop in WoW, of
>> course if you are an enchanter in WoW you can make use of every
>> rewards, but everyone can sell the reward no matter what. Also what I
>> remember of EQ2 quest rewards they are more often something you can
>> use, while in WoW they are set by the quest, so you may not even be
>> able to make use of the item except to sell it. Personally I like it,
>> it makes people quest for items not quest for the best price for
>> items. You still sell the normal drops and all is good. (Note I also
>> like that every magic item in WoW is attunable, so you can never pass
>> down anything you actually use)
>
> You are correct. When you get an item from a quest you at least always
> have a choice of an item that applies to your class (e.g., sometimes
> you get a choice of very light armor, light armor, etc.) This does not
> mean that you can always use the item effectively (e.g., I have been
> given items that con gray to me).

Or red, in at least one case. extremely red.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
> >You are correct. When you get an item from a quest you at least always
>
> >have a choice of an item that applies to your class (e.g., sometimes
> you
> >get a choice of very light armor, light armor, etc.) This does not
> mean
> >that you can always use the item effectively (e.g., I have been given
> >Items that con gray to me).
>
> Er no you don't. Only some quests do that. Others give you an item
> regardless. My mages have received heavy armour, shields, clubs etc as
> quest rewards. In the past I've given them to alts. Not any more I
> guess.

This is the biggest problem with this change I can see. There are a lot of
quests I've completed at higher level and recieved an item I've already
outgrown or have something better. I sell the item or give it to someone who
can use it. In fact, I have two pieces right now I was planning to give to a
guildie.

Since these quests can generally only be done once, it's not like there's
some HUGE market out there of people "farming" quests to make quick cash.

Another overkill move.

Just an update. Looks like they are backing off of this one for now. The
reason this change was proposed is becuase they are implementing offline
selling and were worried that the increased ability to sell would flood the
market with quested items. Let's hope it doesn't and they won't have to make
this change.