HP Deskjet 693C

My hard driver recently died and when I got a new one, I
installed Windows XP - previously I used ME. My printer
now doesn't work - it communicates with the PC as the
light blinks when I try to print something but nothing
comes out. I think my problem is that I don't have any
printer software loaded - lord knows where the original
CD software is from when I bought the printer. The HP
website doesn't let you download software - it says that
XP comes with the appropriate drivers so load the drivers
from XP - which I've done. I've even removed the printer
and did the drivers again - but same thing. Any advice
on what I can do next? Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about deskjet 693c

    Ensure the LPT port is set to EPP in the BIOS.

    Go into the Device Manager, click on Ports (Com and LPT) and then right
    click on the entry for the LPT port..... Under the Port Settings tab, ensure
    that you have the box for Enable legacy Plug and Play Detection checked.

    Go into the Control Panel and click on Printers & Faxes. Use the Add
    Printer Wizard to install the printer... the drivers are built into XP.

    www.coribright.com

    "WmassKLM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My hard driver recently died and when I got a new one, I
    > installed Windows XP - previously I used ME. My printer
    > now doesn't work - it communicates with the PC as the
    > light blinks when I try to print something but nothing
    > comes out. I think my problem is that I don't have any
    > printer software loaded - lord knows where the original
    > CD software is from when I bought the printer. The HP
    > website doesn't let you download software - it says that
    > XP comes with the appropriate drivers so load the drivers
    > from XP - which I've done. I've even removed the printer
    > and did the drivers again - but same thing. Any advice
    > on what I can do next? Thanks.

    How do you get into the Device Manager?
    [I have the same symptoms as WmassKLM, only with a HP Deskjet 660cse. When
    I was upgrading from ME to XP, I got a warning of a possible hardware
    incompatibility in "HP Parallel Adapter". I have been trying to find out
    what that is, but haven't gotten a straight answer from Dell or HP.]

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Ensure the LPT port is set to EPP in the BIOS.
    >
    > Go into the Device Manager, click on Ports (Com and LPT) and then right
    > click on the entry for the LPT port..... Under the Port Settings tab, ensure
    > that you have the box for Enable legacy Plug and Play Detection checked.
    >
    > Go into the Control Panel and click on Printers & Faxes. Use the Add
    > Printer Wizard to install the printer... the drivers are built into XP.
    >
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "WmassKLM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My hard driver recently died and when I got a new one, I
    > > installed Windows XP - previously I used ME. My printer
    > > now doesn't work - it communicates with the PC as the
    > > light blinks when I try to print something but nothing
    > > comes out. I think my problem is that I don't have any
    > > printer software loaded - lord knows where the original
    > > CD software is from when I bought the printer. The HP
    > > website doesn't let you download software - it says that
    > > XP comes with the appropriate drivers so load the drivers
    > > from XP - which I've done. I've even removed the printer
    > > and did the drivers again - but same thing. Any advice
    > > on what I can do next? Thanks.

    I have been corresponding with Dell tech support and with HP tech support for
    three days, in neverending circles of advice (mostly automated, or suggesting
    web sites, troubleshooters, etc, and never answering a question directly),
    and nobody talked about how to check on and change the properties of the LPT
    port. The advice you gave worked like a charm. Thank you so much!

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Ensure the LPT port is set to EPP in the BIOS.
    >
    > Go into the Device Manager, click on Ports (Com and LPT) and then right
    > click on the entry for the LPT port..... Under the Port Settings tab, ensure
    > that you have the box for Enable legacy Plug and Play Detection checked.
    >
    > Go into the Control Panel and click on Printers & Faxes. Use the Add
    > Printer Wizard to install the printer... the drivers are built into XP.
    >
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "WmassKLM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My hard driver recently died and when I got a new one, I
    > > installed Windows XP - previously I used ME. My printer
    > > now doesn't work - it communicates with the PC as the
    > > light blinks when I try to print something but nothing
    > > comes out. I think my problem is that I don't have any
    > > printer software loaded - lord knows where the original
    > > CD software is from when I bought the printer. The HP
    > > website doesn't let you download software - it says that
    > > XP comes with the appropriate drivers so load the drivers
    > > from XP - which I've done. I've even removed the printer
    > > and did the drivers again - but same thing. Any advice
    > > on what I can do next? Thanks.

    You're very welcome!
    www.coribright.com

    "Chowfunny" <Chowfunny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been corresponding with Dell tech support and with HP tech support
    >for
    > three days, in neverending circles of advice (mostly automated, or
    > suggesting
    > web sites, troubleshooters, etc, and never answering a question directly),
    > and nobody talked about how to check on and change the properties of the
    > LPT
    > port. The advice you gave worked like a charm. Thank you so much!
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Ensure the LPT port is set to EPP in the BIOS.
    >>
    >> Go into the Device Manager, click on Ports (Com and LPT) and then right
    >> click on the entry for the LPT port..... Under the Port Settings tab,
    >> ensure
    >> that you have the box for Enable legacy Plug and Play Detection checked.
    >>
    >> Go into the Control Panel and click on Printers & Faxes. Use the Add
    >> Printer Wizard to install the printer... the drivers are built into XP.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "WmassKLM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My hard driver recently died and when I got a new one, I
    >> > installed Windows XP - previously I used ME. My printer
    >> > now doesn't work - it communicates with the PC as the
    >> > light blinks when I try to print something but nothing
    >> > comes out. I think my problem is that I don't have any
    >> > printer software loaded - lord knows where the original
    >> > CD software is from when I bought the printer. The HP
    >> > website doesn't let you download software - it says that
    >> > XP comes with the appropriate drivers so load the drivers
    >> > from XP - which I've done. I've even removed the printer
    >> > and did the drivers again - but same thing. Any advice
    >> > on what I can do next? Thanks.

    Alas, the story is not over.
    After initial flush of success, the good luck went away. The EPP option is
    now set on the port, but I cannot print even the test page. The little green
    light on the printer (HP660cse) blinks for a little while when I try to print
    something, but then it stops blinking and it never prints. Yesterday I tried
    removing the parallel port via the Device Manager and then letting the OS
    reinstall it at reboot time. It came back with the EPP box checked. Still
    no good. Could this be related to whether the printer is connected and/or on
    at time of XP upgrade, or at the times of the various reboots?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > You're very welcome!
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Chowfunny" <Chowfunny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have been corresponding with Dell tech support and with HP tech support
    > >for
    > > three days, in neverending circles of advice (mostly automated, or
    > > suggesting
    > > web sites, troubleshooters, etc, and never answering a question directly),
    > > and nobody talked about how to check on and change the properties of the
    > > LPT
    > > port. The advice you gave worked like a charm. Thank you so much!
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Ensure the LPT port is set to EPP in the BIOS.
    > >>
    > >> Go into the Device Manager, click on Ports (Com and LPT) and then right
    > >> click on the entry for the LPT port..... Under the Port Settings tab,
    > >> ensure
    > >> that you have the box for Enable legacy Plug and Play Detection checked.
    > >>
    > >> Go into the Control Panel and click on Printers & Faxes. Use the Add
    > >> Printer Wizard to install the printer... the drivers are built into XP.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > >> www.coribright.com
    > >>
    > >> "WmassKLM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Only think I can think of now is perhaps changing the cable. The HP660
    series is really very old...... if possible, how about replacing it with a
    USB printer. I know you love the one you have, but it may be time for its
    retirement.

    > Alas, the story is not over.
    > After initial flush of success, the good luck went away. The EPP option
    > is
    > now set on the port, but I cannot print even the test page. The little
    > green
    > light on the printer (HP660cse) blinks for a little while when I try to
    > print
    > something, but then it stops blinking and it never prints. Yesterday I
    > tried
    > removing the parallel port via the Device Manager and then letting the OS
    > reinstall it at reboot time. It came back with the EPP box checked.
    > Still
    > no good. Could this be related to whether the printer is connected and/or
    > on
    > at time of XP upgrade, or at the times of the various reboots?
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> You're very welcome!
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "Chowfunny" <Chowfunny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have been corresponding with Dell tech support and with HP tech
    >> >support
    >> >for
    >> > three days, in neverending circles of advice (mostly automated, or
    >> > suggesting
    >> > web sites, troubleshooters, etc, and never answering a question
    >> > directly),
    >> > and nobody talked about how to check on and change the properties of
    >> > the
    >> > LPT
    >> > port. The advice you gave worked like a charm. Thank you so much!

Printers Hewlett Packard Windows XP