Print spooler service is not running

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

downloaded service pack 2 and now my printer will not
work. says print spooler service is not running and it
will also sat that the RPC server is unavailable. how do
I fix this?

See steps 15 through 17 at Bruce Sanderson's article at:
www.coribright.com

"Brian" <brian26r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> downloaded service pack 2 and now my printer will not
> work. says print spooler service is not running and it
> will also sat that the RPC server is unavailable. how do
> I fix this?

What happens when ya start the services manually..?

Andre

Hi Brian,

It sounds like we are having the same problem (see my entry on Service
Control Manager). If I try to manually restart this service while logged on
as a user, I get an error 5: Access Denied.

Anyone have any ideas?

Andre

"Brian" wrote:

> downloaded service pack 2 and now my printer will not
> work. says print spooler service is not running and it
> will also sat that the RPC server is unavailable. how do
> I fix this?

Andre

Hi Cari,

I tried this, but it didn't work either. Any other ideas?

Andre

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> See steps 15 through 17 at Bruce Sanderson's article at:
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Brian" <brian26r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > downloaded service pack 2 and now my printer will not
> > work. says print spooler service is not running and it
> > will also sat that the RPC server is unavailable. how do
> > I fix this?

When I go to the hkey_local_machine......\spooler i do not have an
DependOnService key. I only have \enum; \Parameters; \Performance;
and \Security.
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:13:19 -0700, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)"
<Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

>http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

Did you try a System File Check?

From the Command Prompt, type:

sfc /scannow
(note space between c and /)
www.coribright.com

"lee mcmindes" <borgbilt@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> When I go to the hkey_local_machine......\spooler i do not have an
> DependOnService key. I only have \enum; \Parameters; \Performance;
> and \Security.
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:13:19 -0700, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)"
> <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:
>
>>http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:07:42 -0700, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)"
<Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

>Did you try a System File Check?
>
>From the Command Prompt, type:
>
>sfc /scannow
>(note space between c and /)
yes, i am not sure of what that resulted in. Using a free registry
checker it found hundred's of registry errors. Should I invest in
fixing them first?

Andre

When logged on as an administrator, I am able to start the servicei with a
net start spooler command. When logged on as a user, this does not work and I
get an access denied error 5. The only way to get the user to printer is to
(a) make them part of at least the power users group so that they can run the
net start command themselves (not very good for an OS such as XP) or (b)
connect to the computer management mmc to start the service as an
administrator. Option (b) is a bit iffy and might need the command to be run
locally.

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> [...]

Radu

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2003

I found that I had message -Print spooler service is not running-Before
upgrading the SP2.

After running Nortons it detected an unknown virus which I isolated and
removed.

Then having searched web and earlier downloaded windows resources kit
ran cleanspl.exe.

This fixed problem. But then required loading all print drivers!

Until I had isolated virus and removed it, the virus had earlier
stopped cleanspl.exe working.

RADU

--
radu